Login |  Register |  FAQ

Panic-bought a Tau army - thoughts/advice please?

Post subject: Panic-bought a Tau army - thoughts/advice please?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I recently panic bought a large Tau in the FW clearout and have clearly ended up with a lot too many of some bits and not enough of others. I am very familiar with Tau in W40k, but am not all that familiar with the epic list and wanted advice. How does the below look?:

3 Command Packs
5 Stands of Crisis Suits (1 Cadre)
16 Stands of Fire Warriors (2 Cadres)
30 Hammerheads of all types (5 Cadres!)
14 or 21 Stands of Stealth Suits (depending if I base them 4 or 6 to a base)
9-18 Stands of Broadsides (depending if I base them 1 or 2 to a base)
5 Stands of Pathfinders
18 Devilfish
10 Stands of Gun Drones (though many of these will be used on other bases)
10 Piranhas and 15 Tetras (assume these are usually all just one to a base?)
24 Turrets
16 Stands of Kroot, plus 6 Kroot Hound stands and 6 stands of Krootox

I'll get a Manta, Orca and other flyer bits next month, though I'm not sure how many of each. I might trade off some of these bits a while down the line (can't see me needing 30 Hammerheads! Oops) but I would like a 3-5kish army with a good amount of options to choose from and switch in.

One thing I particularly want advice on ASAP is how good are Kroot? I have enough for one a half units of basic Kroot, with enough support Kroot Hounds and Krootoxes for two units. Should I maybe order one last pack while they still sell them to make it up to two usable units?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (GlynG @ 17 Jun. 2009, 14:56 )

9 Stands of Broadsides (assuming two to a base?)

Broadsides are Light Vehicles, so they are based one-to-a-base/single model... so you've got 18 units.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (GlynG @ 17 Jun. 2009, 14:56 )

4 Stands of Pathfinders (though I only have enough to base these 5 to a base rather than the 6 I want as standard for Tau - will have to try to trade 4 more individual ones if I can somehow)

Remember that you can sub in Drones to "bulk up" infantry stands... you may have mentioned that above.

Pathfinders and Stealths seem to be based "three models" to a stand, so that two stands is the actual full "squad" of these scout-style models, with the occasional Drone thrown in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Chroma! I may ignore the light vehicles convention and mount Broadsides 2 to a base anyway - 4+ reinforced is fine for two, but seems way too good to represent one of them IMO.

I'll probably drop the Pathfinders to 4 to a base thanks (wanting to keep to the standard W40k Tau unit size of a multiple of 4). Not decided on Stealths being 4 or 6 yet (what's the unit size in W40k again?), 4 would take me up to 21 stands and hence an extra unit, which is tempting, but I'll largely make the decision on aesthetics and what feels right. I've updated the numbers in the original post to reflect this.

I may also try to convert some Sniper Drones, Heavy Gun Drones and Vespid. What units would these best 'count as' in the tournament list when they're not allowed to be themselves? The list didn't seem to say.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (GlynG @ 17 Jun. 2009, 15:53 )

Thanks Chroma! I may ignore the light vehicles convention and mount Broadsides 2 to a base anyway - 4+ reinforced is fine for two, but seems way too good to represent one of them IMO.

Well, they only get a single shot with their Railcannons, so two on a base is too many from a firepower perspective.

With so many Drone models, a couple of them with a single Broadside might show them being "shielded".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:10 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I have my Pathfinders at 5 to a base, and Stealths at 4 to a base (the maths works better). Piranhas are based individually, and while Tetras should be too, I mount mine in pairs as it fits the fluff. My Crisis are in three to a base, with a drone, and my Broadsides (will be, when I get around to them!) individually based on washers.

30 Hammerheads seems like a lot, except when you swing to one variant. Even if those are only the two major types - RailHeads and IonHeads - that is 15 of each, which is just two Cadres. You end up using more of them than you actually think that you will, and you really can never have too many.

You do have more Devilfish than you will need, since you only need 10 (4 stands of Pathfinders and 16 stands of Fire Warriors).

I almost picked up Kroot Hounds/KrootOx in the final moments, but they are too expensive so the cash went in other directions. I worked on the basis that my Tau aliem auxiliary will be drawn from a lot of other planets and other races... and other manufacturers!

Overall, a good and generally well-rounded haul. For a panic must-get-what-I-can decision, I think that you did quite well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well now we can see why no one else will get any crisis suits now... Gotta love a panic buyer.   :))  Can someone say "eBay"?  :vD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

eBay!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Does FW have any Epic Tau left now?  :sad:

Skullric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think that FW has some units left, if you want HH variants and/or drone turrets theres plenty of those left, or were left...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the comments guys! Glad to see I seem to have netted a decent army out it :smile: (had been a bit worried I might be too low on Fire Warriors and Crisis Suits)

CyberShadow: I almost picked up Kroot Hounds/KrootOx in the final moments, but they are too expensive so the cash went in other directions. I worked on the basis that my Tau aliem auxiliary will be drawn from a lot of other planets and other races... and other manufacturers!
Yeah that's always a good option :) Tau do have a range of aliens with them.

Tau were my favourite W40k army and the one I played the most with. I always used to go Kroot heavy in W40k, so I wanted to reflect that in epic too and recreate the feel of the old sold off army.

Dobbsy: Well now we can see why no one else will get any crisis suits now... Gotta love a panic buyer.   :))  Can someone say "eBay"?  :vD

Huh? - do you realise that is only 2 packs of Crisis Suits and not 5? Basing them 3 to a base makes 5 stands worth and only enough for a single cadre (if I push the boat out and mix a couple of character ones in I could also get a Crisis add-on of a couple of stands too). I'd actually have liked to get enough to make two cadres, so I could go battlesuit heavy if I wanted to, but they were sold out before I bought them (the 2 I got I paid over the odds for from Chaos Orc and feth knows what condition they're going to arrive in with all that trans-Atlantic shipping).

The Hammerheads were a feck-up too; I didn't plan to get so many! I asked the FW guy on the phone about Hammerhead variants and he claimed the only one they had left was the Ion Cannon one, which assuming was the only one I might be able to get I then picked up 6 packs of. Later in the day I had the bright idea to check Chaos Orc and managed to pick up some Fire Warriors, Crisis, and also 1 each of the more exotic Hammerhead type packs and 2 Railgun type packs (I like variety and figured I'd be able to get rid of excess ones). Later seeing the other types still seemed to be listed on FWs site afterall I was a bit cross (I assume the guy I spoke to must actually have just meant the Railgun one wasn't available rather than thinking about the more exotic ones).
Tooninki: eBay!!!
In a while down the line once I work out what I want and don't want I will look into trading a few bits here. I may end up listing stuff on ebay eventually if no-one here wants it, but not in the first instance - I'd rather keep things in the community, help out others here and maybe trade for things I might want in return. Heck - if I were motivated by making money of my models, I could do very well with the 80-90 odd genuine original metal unreleased epic exodites I have, rather than making a cool unique army from them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Rug @ 18 Jun. 2009, 12:05 )

If you have any odd Tetras or Pirahanas will you trade? Damn the packs of 5!

All the Tetra/Piranha packs I've gotten have had *seven* models in them... 3 Tetras and 4 Piranhas... despite what the website says.