Login |  Register |  FAQ

Batrep: FOW - DAK vs Rats

Post subject: Batrep: FOW - DAK vs Rats
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played my first Flames of War game in about 5 years today, it is probably my third game ever of FOW.  My first game with my Desert Rats.  We played 1500 points and our scenario was a meeting engagement with both forces on the move.  My opponent was in the same boat as far as lack of game experience so we were just trying to get the rules down again more than worried about the battle details.  It was not a great match up with armor vs mechanized.  

DAK Panzer Kompanie vs Brit Desert Rats Motor Company.

25lb Royal Horse Artillery with some armor support:

Motor Platoon with a MG-Vickers platoon on the rise with a pair of 2lb Portee AT guns:

Germans had a platoon of Panzer III's with Panzergrenandiers supported by the 1iC in a Panzer 4:

Some more Panzer 4's along with the 2iC:

DAK blitzkrieged across the desert and popped two Shermans right off the start:

Both Brit Motor platoons advanced on the flanks:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 2 began with the Rats at a loss in armor while having ineffective shooting themselves:

Finally the Rats managed to score a few kills; the debut of the special Desert Rat and LRDG dice was less than impressive.

The DAK dealt heavy casualties on the advancing infantry with concentrated MG fire followed by an assault, counter assault, and a break through assault!; only a single PIAT team survived.

Panzer II's unload on the Grants and the whole platoon went up in flames at once:

The Brits sole armor was the Sherman III platoon commander; he stood his ground and kept firing shells downrange until the end of the game too.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 3 came with little anti-armor ability left for the Brits; this did not bode well.

The sole PIAT never did score a kill but the last 2lb Portee took down the Panzer IV and killed the DAK's commander!  The Panzergrenadiers also paid a heavy price to British Bulldogs.

The Royal Horse Artillery failed to kill the panzers in their direct fire shooting and only managed to bail the crews of several tanks.  The panzers in turn eliminated 3/4th's of the gun crews of the Royal Horse Artillery.  The Motor Company slipped in behind the advancing armor but failed in their attempt to assault the panzers:

Turn 4 looked very bleak for the Desert Rats, but they refused to give ground:

The sole gun crew and its fearless veterans held fast slamming rounds into the breach despite the wall on panzer steel coming there way:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 5 had 3/4ths of the Brit platoons broken but the commander held the troops together to continue on; despite this we called the game then because the Rats just plain had little AT left on the board to do anything with.

The lone surviving Sherman III:

The Vickers MG platoon was dug in on the ridge but were useless against the DAK armor; also amongst them was the 1iC and artillery observer; plus a ton of transports:

It was a good fun game and it was nice to start knocking the rust off the FOW rulebook.  I think the result would have been the same, a DAK victory, but poor dicing denied them some additional kills.  Panzergrenadier Kompanie vs Motor Company, or Panzerkompanie vs Armor Company would have been better match ups but we played with what we had and pre-existing lists.  I'm definitely looking forward to some more games of Flames of War... and revenge!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nice report, im looking forward to a few games of FOW myself in the near future.  I havent played since 06......

steve.