Login |  Register |  FAQ

The battle for Muckville

Post subject: The battle for Muckville
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 5

If the narrative breaks down it is because the game did a bit too. Well past midnight we were and yet the Marines were coming back so we played on.

I send the commissar bike and the rest of the rallied Bikers to kill the last land raider. And they do so.

The remaining IG forces (remnants) stream across the field to the ford. But they are a long way away.

I have to plug the gap at the ford. I miscount the VPs and think the marine has 39, with the extra VP for the Ogryns that would push him over the line. Actually think is not the right word. I send the Company HQ for the 4th to block the gap between the two buildings at the ford. Which is silly as they can’t close it (2 inf plus the rhino = 3 stands). The Terminators already at the ford side step them and enter the right building (their right). The next batch of Terminators debark and engage the HQ stands. A rhino detachment slips through the gap and heads for the objective that had been held by strategic reserve (the commissar). The commissar vacated it to step up and replace  the CHQ that was contesting the objective near the ford, so leaving his sole rhino that got close enough to claim the unguarded objective. In the end the Commisar didn’t contest that either (misjudged by a cm).

The terminators slaughter my HQ team, and then in turn are shot to pieces by the returning thunderbolts. The Ogryns, who could have saved the day, never charged. The last turn finished at 2.55am.

VPs were Marine 43, IG 38 (broke one of the terminator detachments with that Thunderbolt fusillade).

As usual there were lots of mistakes, Stuart because he is still learning, me because I just make a lot of mistakes. With hindsight using my thunderbolts to destroy the last landraider on my side of the river, would have won the game. In fact that was the plan, so why didn’t I follow it?

As for Stuart his firebase from hell slaughtered all and sundry, but was late deploying forward and so nearly lost the game in Turn 3. He used both Thunderhawks to harry my men, when using one to pick up some terminators would have created a reserve that would have put his best troops into anyone of my undefended lightly held/objectives. Or just 1 more terminator detachment on my side of the river at start and my bikes wouldn’t have cleared the objective. As it was the terminators didn’t start to see combat till Turn 4...

So, in spite of, or because of the mistakes it was a cracking game, and though tiring and a defeat, it was very satisfying. As I said to Stuart, it was netepic that was the winner, but then we Australians always say that when we lose at cricket too…

And Legion- the table is a table tennis table- 9 x 5.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well that was an excellent read. Thanks for posting. You can't win them all and it's good that Stuart can get a win in when he's just learning, it shows promise... must be a good teacher, eh? :tongue:

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers Warhead.

Stuart's a good player- picks things up quickly. But for all of us new systems and new weapons require a bit of experience to get used to them.

For the next game we chose a 5000 point, with a mid week set up to get straight to work Friday.

Report to follow when I have the photos re-sized to fit the forum.

rgds

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One more thing... where did you get or how did you make your roads and fields? Very nice.  :cool:

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, in spite of, or because of the mistakes it was a cracking game, and though tiring and a defeat, it was very satisfying. As I said to Stuart, it was netepic that was the winner, but then we Australians always say that when we lose at cricket too…

You in London for the long haul or returning to the Lucky Country some time soon?

Happy Australia day   :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The long haul. Have settled in a good job, with a wife, son and house all here. I thought about getting back to Melbourne but would mean my wife left her family here (and they're not good travellers so would never visit) and then my folks moved up North from melbourne to Coff's harbour. I'll be up there for a little bit mid March, after a cousin's wedding in Sydney.

Where are you based?

And warhead the fields/roads come from an Australian company called Miniature World maker. Used to be fantastic rates with the pound strong (and free postage) but much less so now alas. I've also got some proper mats on order (vice the current sheets) when they come you'll be able to see them and judge- they'll be from a company based in Ipswich (suffolk not Qld).

Hope this finds all well

rgds

Michael

P.S. Nice Australia day present from SA I thought btw...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The tarp sheet would actually give a good sand dune effect for desert battles... if it was a desert colour that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Michael,

Thanks for writing the reports up.

For those who pointed out in a previous report the lesson on Bombards and buildings the lesson has definietly been learnt :ghost:

If anyone has any good advice on how to tackle Squats with Orcs (Michael and my next planned battle) please let me know.

Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to TacComm Orc mania,

How many points for each army in the up coming battle?

If it's small you could try a huge Kult of Speed mob with Renegade Mekboyz to nip around the terrain and causing trouble while the slower stuff mops up. PS. Lifta Droppa's are fantastic, don't leave home without them.
Or if it's big buy the cheapest thing with a Gargant Belly Gun and play cannonball skittles with his Praetorians... Praetorians can be very hard to kill.
Of course there is always the Pulsa Rockets but you've got to be lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's a small game- 2000 points. Following on from a small AI game over the same terrain.

And Stuart's got 1 post and a better forum name and signature...

I don't even have a signature.

How do I change my forum name?

And Warhead the desert sheet is not a tarp but a sheet- alas so thin you can read the cover on the books I use as hills...

rgds

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Madollin @ 26 Jan. 2009, 21:52 )

...And Warhead the desert sheet is not a tarp but a sheet- alas so thin you can read the cover on the books I use as hills...

rgds

Michael

Pah! A sheet?.. a sheet! Sheer extravagance. Call that hardship, we used to lie awake at night, dreaming of a thin sheet for our games...
We used to use the floor on't carpet wit books and video tapes for hills... Aye, video! None oh yar lah-de-da DVD buggers round here. We used CD's staked up for wooded areas an-all...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Shame on you Warhead- quoting a bunch of soft southern types - Yorkshiremen no less...

Next report is the 5000 pointer, pics re-sized  and when I get a moment will upload them.

Also Alfakta campaign joined- so Friday's games will add to the planet dots...

rgds

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Orc mania @ 26 Jan. 2009, 17:29 )

Michael,

Thanks for writing the reports up.

For those who pointed out in a previous report the lesson on Bombards and buildings the lesson has definietly been learnt :ghost:

If anyone has any good advice on how to tackle Squats with Orcs (Michael and my next planned battle) please let me know.

Stuart

Orks v. Squats.  Well, you're lucky it is a low points game.  As Orks, milk your free cards for all they're worth!  KoS is probably a must, and the Bad Moonz with some transport would be good to shoot up any Praetorians if you can fit them in.  A Doom Diver cannon too for Overlords.  I'd also recommend the Mekboy Gargant in small games...it is a little bit of a gamblers choice but should be nearly impervious to damage for a couple of turns.

But mostly, pray to the dice gods!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warhead and Zap123 - thanks for the advice - is it still only one free card and one special option per company/clan?, Renegade Mechboyz sounds good.

Still trying to get balance right when pulling a force together as you'll see when Michael puts in the report from our big battle (6000 points) we had last week.

Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup, still only 1 free card per company.  It's how you use them that can be fun.  Freebooters are awesome....give them a Skullhamma and they can go off and merrily capture an objective miles away from where the rest of the boyz are.  Another fun option is to take Madboyz for each company and form a huge mob of them.  Sometimes they do buggar all, but I've seen them just about win a game all by themselves.  Grotz are probably my last choice....but if you throw in a nice cheap Runtherd as well.....