Login |  Register |  FAQ

PDF vs. Daemonic /Cultist (Slaanesh)

Post subject: PDF vs. Daemonic /Cultist (Slaanesh)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lovely report W~head. As usual.  :blush:

Almost to many pictures thou...  :oo:

About not putting this type of battle to anyone. Not sure about it.
It's a very neat way to pit an impossible rearguard battle together.

A usual problem with a point-based game is that even a 10% difference make it almost impossible to win (all other factors equal).
But this way of giving VP per turn standing is genius.

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahh, ok... so you'll not want the rest of the photo's then.  :whistle: Your right though less is more... I just can't help getting caught up in the cinematic look of a battle report and the description of the story... not very hot with the stats and game details.

I don't know, I've beaten bigger forces with just infantry before but it takes just the right mix of troops and situation to work. This could have been done a bit better. It'll probably take another three to four months to get another game anyway so any leasons learned are bound to be forgotten by then.   :tongue:  

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 6

After discussing it with James we decided on a turn limit for the game. Turn Nine would be the last and the VP would then be totalled.

I previously noted I would have to accrue at least 5+ VP each turn to keep pace with James' turn based VP increase. Kills alone couldn't achieve this. The Chaos forces must start to break out through the valley pass in order to win. If they don't start getting Hell Knights and Slaanesh Scout Titans out through the pass they would have achieved nothing. Killing the defenders was not the objective.

I also noted that the PDF air cover were all being re-armed and I had an aircraft free turn.

Again James loses the initiative and I force him to go first. The remaining PDF Cavalry abandoned the Shadowsword they couldn't protect and tried to block the valley pass with their bodies. On seeing this the Subjugator nearest the pass makes a dash for it in an attempt to get through before the pass is choked with cavalry units entirely.

The Rifle Platoon defending the pass entrance and an AT Rocket Platoon snap fire at the passing Titan and one shot hits it under the jaw line in the exposed wiring for the head. The Titan suffers a weapons failure as the Psi-Pulse generator is damaged but ignores the slight. As it leaps through the gap an AT rocket impacts on one of it's Hell Claws but causes no damage. The first Titan has broken through... (6VP!) ...The Cavalry HQ gives chase but rein in at the pass entrance to help their comrades.

The Daemonic Alter claws it's way past the ruin and over the rise. It gives a hungry hiss of pleasure as it looks down on the frantic human defenders below. The Human Bomb waiting near the ruins sees an opportunity as I move up more war engines. He runs at the feet of a Questor as it breaks through the trees, wildly dodges the Titans bolters and explodes! The Questors Tormentor Cannon takes most of the impact and is slightly damaged (another bad damage roll) and must be repaired in the end phase.

The Slaaneshie rapidly move forward in a torrent of screaming, howling drug crazed followers and swiftly agile Knights and Titans. The Rhino's move into cover at the foot of the ruins, their troops still embarked.

The Subjugators that have broken into the defences fall on the hapless troopers around them. The Hydras on the ridge and a rifleman are cornered by one of the twisted Daemon Engine. The Shadowsword tries to bring it's lasers to bear on a closing Subjugator as the troops in the trenches fire at it, trying to stop it getting to the Superheavy tank. One of the Heavy Weapon Teams strikes the Titan on the Hell Claw. The shot hits something important causing it to be destroyed for the remainder of the battle.

The Demigoddess Elixir with entrancing grace, dances and twirls within reality and the warp, lost in the intensity of emotions emanating from the battle. Her handmaidens dance with her.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Daemonic Alters Siren Call floats out sub-audibly at first but getting stronger and louder, but never above a ghostly insinuation at the back of the mind. Two of the AT Rocket teams leave the comparative safety of their bunker and despite the calls of their team mates they walk out into the razorwire unable to deny the lure of the sweet whispers...

The Thudd Gun Batteries open fire lobbing shells into the woods around the ruin. Two Rhino's explode in flame and shrapnel taking the transported Cultists with them. (Failed every Bail Out save, Bah!)

Having very few units on First Fire orders it's not long before James' PDF is firing unhindered with return shots. Between the Regimental Baneblade and a battery of Tarantulas the Alter surrenders three more Chaos Cards. The Hydras on the ridge try to target the damaged Questor but all their shots fail to hit. The Robots ignite their flamethrowers and wash down the Subjugator and the Keeper. (AKA Mr Pinchy) However, both fail to hit.
(We decided that Robots wouldn't give a crap if they hit their own kind when firing into close combat... probably not in their programming. So they got to fire.)

The Close Combat phase has the Hydras and the rifleman nearby all ripped apart by a Subjugator while the Robot is also stamped on and crushed. The injured Subjugator rips into the Shadowsword but with only one Hell Claw working it's a narrow win. (One point) However, that's just enough to cripple the Tanks treads but it's not destroyed, yet.

Mr Pinchy... I mean The Keeper of Secrets exudes a aura of desire at the defenders in the rocks but they all manage to resist the urges with a stiff upper lip... if nothing else.

Most of the Hell Knights and Subjugators miss their targets, too well protected behind their emplacements. A Tarantula battery concentrates on the wounded Subjugator but it manages to make all it's saves. The other Tarantulas do manage to make the Alter give up another Chaos Card as their lasers try to deplete the Daemon Engines vitality.

Again more Slaanesh reinforcements arrive... this time with the last of the Hell Knights and Walkers.

There are no units requiring to make a Morale roll and the Questor Titans Tormentor Cannon remains damaged. The Subjugators Hell Claw is out of action for the entire game and the Shadowsword can't be repaired without an Adeptus Enginseer.

Chaos: 40            Imperials: 33

Casualties...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 7

It had to happen at some point. Lady luck turned her back on me and I lost the Initiative. James got a slight advantage in repositioning but no real big advantage, yet... the firing had still to start.

The Subjugator with the damaged Hell Claw left the Shadowsword behind and rushed the pass. Snap Firing shots of opportunity fire pinging off it's armour or narrowly missed it's swiftly moving form as the riflemen laid down a storm of fire. At one point up to five HQ's took a shot and even got some hits but to no avail. But the Subjugators luck was not to last... Just before the Titan stepped over and past the last defender, who could not stop it, the AT Rocket Platoon opened fire. Six rockets on tails of white smoke streaked towards the agile Titan. It tried to evade the new threat but one of the rockets struck. It had been aimed for the Titans legs but it exploded dead centre of the Titans Reactor... James and I drew in our breath. If the Titan goes Nova then it could tear the heart out of the PDF!..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I roll my armour save and wince as I roll a 2 ...the armour didn't hold and the rockets detonation damages the reactor. James, picks up the dice and hesitantly shakes it for luck. I can only imagine he's hoping for a low roll. He roll's, it's...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

...a six!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I roll for the range of the explosion and of course roll high. 16cm IIRC on 3D6... Every unit in the 16cm zone is wiped out and even the Battlehammer Superheavy Tank is hit to the rear where it's armour is weakest and the tank emplacement doesn't protect it. James fails his armour save and then rolls a six (again) on the damage table, it too explodes causing further damage in a 6cm radius...

The game is over...

Joyfully the Slaanesh Daemonic Hordes fall upon the dazed survivors and chase down those able to run. Some are captured, but most are not as the twisted Daemons take their pleasure among the fallen. The few Imperial aircraft remaining see the slaughter from the air. Calling in their find they make a token attack run before turning for home.

Chaos: 50   Imperials: 39

Lasting to turn 7! I think we could call that a delay at the very least?..

Chaos gain a bonus as they are now clear to outflank the main Imperial Army. Normally for a Victory they would receive 100 VP but I think it's fairer to split the points and call it a tactical victory.

Campaign Victory Points to date...

First Battle: Cultists: 142   Imperials:  60
Second Battle: Chaos: 100   Imperials:  89
Total: Chaos:  242VP   Imperials: 149VP

Last edited by Warhead on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warhead @ 25 Jan. 2009, 00:49 )

Chaos Cultist Hydras... and to admit lameness, I actually thought the flyers would be nigh unstoppable and worried that I needed Flak cover. My bad. The fekers only hit one aircraft anyway and it saved. The Hell Knights were very effective with the rules I used.

To be honest the PDF army choice compared with the Chaos Knights and Scout Titans in such quantity is way too much. A lighter number of attackers or a heavier defending force would have made a  far better game.

The Chaos standard list only gets Scorpions for AA so they are equivalent to PDF which is where a cultist army would ahve originated.  They don't have all the good toys a regular Imperial regimental force would have.

I think the PDF would have done better with some Mammoths.......and lots of Earthshakers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

From NetEpic Chaos v4.1

Cultists
These scum infest Imperial worlds and by their hand practice the forbidden rituals to summon Chaos to their worlds.  Cultists form the core of a Renegade Army, providing the bulk of the troops.  They often also loot heavy weapons from their foes, forming small bands of heavily armed troops to take on the role of fire support for their less well-armed brethren. Models: Imperial Guard models from GW IG sprue. For Heavy Cultist use 1-2 Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon models + 3-4 Imperial Guard Tactical models from the GW IG sprue.

Cultist companies (including Mechanized and Fanatic Companies) may field the following Imperial Guard/PDF Support Cards: Bikes, Rough Riders, Sentinels, Chimeras (and all Variants), Hellhounds, Vindicators, Leman Russes (and Demolishers), Mole Mortars, Tarantulas, Rapiers, Thudd Guns, Griffons, Manticores, Basilisks, Hydras, Baneblades, Storm Blades, Storm Hammers and Shadow Swords. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterparts as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs.  This list is absolute and any Imperial Guard equipment or troops not listed here are unavailable to Chaos Renegade armies.

The Hydras belonged to the Fanatic Cultists riding in Rhino's. I don't just make this stuff up as I go along, honest :p ... unless I absolutely have to, like if something's not working and needs an immediate fix. I may make/suggest rules that the rest agree to, but I stick to them. A game without rules is not much of a game after all.
I have said it before that the construction of the Army Cards and organisation of the Armies in v5 and v5.1 is what has put me off using MOST v5 armies. This is a personal opinion and I do not judge others for holding a different view contrary to my own. I have been looking again at the House Devine Knight Companies and may give it a try next time but it would have been even worse for the PDF in that last battle.

Didn't want to bore you, but you give me no choice...

The PDF and SOB represented are taken from an Army Points Total selected before the campaign begins. None of the units can be swapped for something else when play begins.  
Other defending PDF+ forces are dotted along a set number of encounter locations as local defenders and will reinforce the main army or stand alone if the main army isn't present. This PDF force was one of those. As the story goes... The PDF 83rd Btln were rushed to defend the pass with orders to dig in and hold at all costs. The Earthshakers where unavailable at the time as they were currently elsewhere with the main PDF/SOB army.

A Forward Observer are sometimes better in a campaign because although you are increasing the enemies VP you are hopefully increasing your own with kills and diminishing the enemies future ability to fight. For this reason I've had to limit FO's to spotting for artillery on map and only allow  off table artillery if the scenario allows.

I don't believe Mammoths would have helped. They can not pin Knights let alone Titans and their To Hit of 5+ is grim. An easily broken BP5 750 point 8VP albatross of a company. If it had been my choice I would taken more heavy weapon infantry or more Tarantulas. I would have dropped the two PDF Hydra Platforms too. (The Tarantulas did very well in this battle and accounted for 4-5 of the Chaos Cards) What was needed were more Superheavy Tanks but the PDF can't have more than a few as Special Cards.

The Alter was unstoppable. Although James had two Sanctioned Psykers neither had any abilities to stop the Alters Chaos Powers. Only a Psychic save could have helped to a degree against some of the Alters attacks.

What the PDF really needed was an Ordo-Malleus Inquisitor and a Company or two of Grey Knights and teleporting Grey Knight Terminators... Or an Imperitor Titan! :tongue:

Seriously, I think I would limit the attacking force to the same or half again the defenders numbers. 4,000 points of defenders would therefore face 4-6,000 points of attackers. It would then be easier to keep track of and my posting would be faster too. :sus:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As word spreads of the fall of the defeat at the valley pass. Panic and civil unrest sweep through the populace. Disturbing reports from the city nearest the pass immerge of it's citizens in open revolt. The local garrison of PDF are overwhelmed by angry mobs. What is more disturbing are the reports from the few survivors who made it out... of the mobs consuming the flesh of the living...

(Brains!...) :ghost:

EDIT: Zombies are from Exodite Wars.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Now that was just a thinly veiled excuse to show off all your neat Zombie toys!   :vD

Seriously though, that B&W photo is very effective!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup, I couldn't help myself. These Exodite Minis are extreme. I want them all.

Thanks, the monochrome just cuts out all the colour distraction and somehow makes it cleared in detail. The style reminds me of old WWII photos. Needs to be grainer though.