Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next

MoK's Painting Blog

Post subject: MoK's Painting Blog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

WELCOME! If this is your first visit please note that this blog spans several years work now! For ease of use I've always kept all of my armies and commision pieces in this thread: as such there's quite a bit to get through but with patience I'm sure you'll find some gems that - at least I'd like to think - have become some of taccomms classics over the years :-).
Best of
Yrs,
R>

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well; it's time to beat away the rainy day blues and start motivating myself to paint all the epic stuff lying around my house! I've just got hold of a reasonably priced camera and so to keep me painting regularly (and to steal all of your great ideas and advice!) here's a blog for y'all from good old Bristol, Uk.

So; what projects can you expect from me over the next few months? Well in no particular order here's what needs doing:
-Feral Ork's
-Goff's
-Crimson Fist Marines
-Finishing IG and Ultwhe armies
-LATD and Black Legion Khorne Armies
-Aeronautica Tau.
-(Edit: Expansion of Guard Army to be Seigers now and then)
and after all of that i might even treat myself to an EPIC Tau force :-).  Well i'm gonna start this blog now but i'm more than happy to take requests in the future for what to start next! Here we go...!

CRIMSON FIST SPACE MARINES

So, a few months ago i took my rather large amount of 'painted when i was 16' Dark Angels, pared them down to an 8k collection, sold the left overs and dunked the rest in brake fluid for a few weeks (works wonders; they all came out like new, plastics included [Brand: Carlube Dot4]) and are ready to be painted.
A few months ago i also sold my Crimson Fist 40k Rogue Trader Era Army which used to look like THIS:

and THIS

and so now i want to relive those days in 6mm scale! more pictures can be found HERE

Having been inspired by Curtis Callaway's Marines at http://www.thewargamerspage.com i've decided to see if i can improve in what is a relatively simple colour scheme. I undercoated them all Chaos Black with two thin coats of spray before a heavy drybrush of 50/50 Midnight Blue/Regal blue before a lighter drybrush of Enchanted Blue.  Which puts the whole army in this state of attire:

(Rhinos, whirlwinds and Landraiders not yet given second drybrush: will be using a flat headed brush for that rather than a round one; better for angular figures)

So; from that picture you can see what this project entails.
Here are a few shots of some of the more interesting details thus far:
Drop Pod Markers

Hunter Conversions (I want the whole army to have a very 'Epic 40k' Era Feel)

Converted Typhoons (Such an AWESOME unit!)

Effect of Drybrushing on the Troops

Effect of Drybrushing on larger more details models (Note: the wing mounted Heavy Bolters are actually plasticard remakes as are the undercarriages on one of the t.hawks)

Well; that's all for this first post, it's now your jobs to help me finish these projects .  I'll bring you more as the army progresses.  All Feedback and comments much appreciated!
Over and Out,
yrs,
Ryan>

Last edited by Man of kent on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PS: Wasn't there a guide posted a little while ago for shooting 6mm figures?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great start Ryan, I'll be keeping a watch out for this thread in future. Excellent use of card to complete the Thunderhawks too. How much ordinance have you for your Crimson Fists? It's a great choice of Chapter, reminds me of the old Rogue Trader days.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ouuuu, you sold that great Rogue Trader army? The bolt guns and helmets alone are worth keeping it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (redsimon @ 09 Nov. 2008, 16:39 )

Ouuuu, you sold that great Rogue Trader army? The bolt guns and helmets alone are worth keeping it.

Yep; unfortuntaly it went for a mere £75 quid on ebay...should of sold it in bit parts really...thanks for the positive feedback though :vo. I was kinda attached to it but never play 40k so thought what's the point.

SO: Painting Blog.
Got everything drybrushed in the last few remaining hours of daylight (need to buy a daylight bulb as my current lamp light makes all the shades blend into one), and also managed to get these two test stands of tacticals done:

Unfortunately the saturation (of the photo) is a little high but i hope you get the idea.  Found that the red blob and white cross on the shoulders works quite well at 6mm scale!
More next time,
R>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:45 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Great Rogue Trader army! Sad to sell, but understand.

Looking forward to seeing the Epic progress! Good way to approach the painting, will look awesome, as the first infantry stands show...  :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers Markonz!
Still getting used to using a camera properly (especially for such close up shots!) but here's what i've been working on today, finished.

Vindicators

Detail Shot

One thing i'm worried about is getting all the details on the models. As you can see from the second shot the stowage was a little naff but i'v since given it a wash of dark brown and things have been re-defined a little bit.
I was wondering whether to pick out all the rivets on the Vindicators but having seem them with other details done i decided against it; the models would be too cluttered otherwise. THis is the flavour that the Predators and Razorbacks will come out in; the flatter surfaces of the MK2 Rhino's, Whirlwind's and Land Raider's will require a slightly different approach.
Will try taking some progress shots at some point and i'm just deciding to get vehicles done first as with my orks i done all the infantry and then gave up!
Yrs,
R>

PS: Since when did ALL vindicators become recovery vehicles? All of mine have cranes on the back :O

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dreadnaughts underway...there's something missing though and i can't quite pin my finger on it...

A few more details and finishing touches to come.
R>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:08 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Dreadnoughts and Vindis look great to me! Doesn't look like there's anything missing unless you want to add unit/chapter markings or something. That is a detail that you always come back to later though if you really want to do it though.

Re stowage. I also had trouble with this. In the end I settled on painting it black, then dabbing on bestial brown (leaving black showing around the edges to make a clean outline of the stowage against the hull) with some quick dabs of snakebite leather for highlights, then the cords in bleached bone. Some touch ups with black after that. As shown on these preds:

Edit - and nice choice of where to put the red on the dreads, I should do the other arms on mine as well...  :))

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool army. The bold red color works really well against the darker drybrushed blue especially on the infantry. Were you planning on basing your vehicles?

-Malakai

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off, hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god." -Velvet Acid Christ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hmm...not sure about basing the vehicles; never tried it. Might give it a go though; could look good. Basing wise i'm thinking of a goblin green edging with gray rubble and static flock for the infantry.
Cheers for the tips on Stowage Markonz; i;ll give it a go on the razorbacks tommorow or sometime soon. As for the dreadnoughts i'll be adding some green details (such as lenses etc) so i think that may flush them out a bit too; otherwise chapter marking ahoy! Nice looking mrines from you too!
R>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:16 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Nice looking Crimson fist there

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers CC  :agree:

Dreadnoughts done; a few details added (lenses) and Company marking's added to flesh things out; need to get better at freehand details but for now it'll do.
Gonna do the assualt marines today as othewise i'll never be able to convince myself to do the horde like rhino's or tactical marines...
R>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Looks very nice. But the blue is a bit to light for my tastes. They look like Ultrmarines and not like Crimson Fists.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hmm...that's something I've been wondering about actually; they look a little different in real life (the flash on the camera tends to make them brighter) but I'm still wondering about giving them a dark wash or something.  Any ideas?
R>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next