Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Future War Commander

Post subject: Future War Commander
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (primarch @ 13 Oct. 2008, 17:59 )

1. I gather that there are no real "formations" in the rigid sense like in other games. So basically I can make up my own and they can change/combine/divide during the actual game? Is it that loose?

It is indeed. You create a "formation" as you issue orders from a CO or HQ. You can drop units from it as you give it orders. Each unit can only take commands from one command stand per turn though

It is very loose though and it does take a bit of time to get used to but I think that it does allow you to do better combined arms tactics than Epic does.

2. Massive units like titans have only two weapons systems? Primary and secondary?

Yes. Some regular units have secondary weapons as well but only Massive units can shoot both of them in an action.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like its abstraction of air superiority. Overall, an excellent set of rules :)

Just waiting for someone to turn the unit design rules into a spreadsheet now...

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (pixelgeek @ 13 Oct. 2008, 22:33 )

Quote: (primarch @ 13 Oct. 2008, 17:59 )

1. I gather that there are no real "formations" in the rigid sense like in other games. So basically I can make up my own and they can change/combine/divide during the actual game? Is it that loose?

It is indeed. You create a "formation" as you issue orders from a CO or HQ. You can drop units from it as you give it orders. Each unit can only take commands from one command stand per turn though

It is very loose though and it does take a bit of time to get used to but I think that it does allow you to do better combined arms tactics than Epic does.

2. Massive units like titans have only two weapons systems? Primary and secondary?

Yes. Some regular units have secondary weapons as well but only Massive units can shoot both of them in an action.

Hi!

Thanks!

I agree these rules provide for a combined arms approach better than epic rules do. The tactical possibilities the rules provide are many.

Questions: Can a unit have more than two weapon systems (primary and secondary)?

The reason I ask is related to epic titans that have more than two weapon system.

IF we can have this, how many weapon systems can on successful order allow a massive unit to fire?

I'm gearing up to start threads on my additions to the FCW lists.  :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (primarch @ 14 Oct. 2008, 12:01 )

Questions: Can a unit have more than two weapon systems (primary and secondary)?

I don't think so. None of the units I have seen do and none of the Titans he did stats for have them either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (netepic @ 14 Oct. 2008, 05:12 )

Just waiting for someone to turn the unit design rules into a spreadsheet now...

Well, as soon as I can afford a copy of the rules and if it's not against his copyright, I can do so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (pixelgeek @ 14 Oct. 2008, 15:46 )

Quote: (primarch @ 14 Oct. 2008, 12:01 )

I don't think so. None of the units I have seen do and none of the Titans he did stats for have them either.

Hi!

Agreed. I didn't see any either.

My next question may be more suitably placed to Peter directly, but I'd like you take on this:

COULD massive units have more than two weapon systems?

I do see any prohibition to this, but maybe the design is against this?

Thoughts?

Primarch

P.S. I'll post this question to Peter and post his response.

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No disrespect, but would it not be better to post up developments for the system over on the FWC forum. I think Pete has worked hard to encourage discussion and development on the SMP forum and it would be regretable if things started to develop separately to that, after all there is a significant experience of the game mechanics over there?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Fredster4050 @ 14 Oct. 2008, 16:40 )

No disrespect, but would it not be better to post up developments for the system over on the FWC forum.

I like Pete a lot but his forum software is horrible and borders on being unusable.

I'd be posting there every day but it doesn't even appear to have a quote function

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (primarch @ 14 Oct. 2008, 14:59 )

Thoughts?

I think that the system isn't really designed to handle more than two systems on a model. Given how often a Titan could fire giving it multiple weapons would be quite powerful and the game is less about weapon systems and more about morale and command and control.

I'd suggest testing the game out a few times with the Titans as he has them specced and then see what you think

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (pixelgeek @ 15 Oct. 2008, 04:17 )

I think that the system isn't really designed to handle more than two systems on a model. Given how often a Titan could fire giving it multiple weapons would be quite powerful and the game is less about weapon systems and more about morale and command and control.

I have not got my copy yet, but that might be the beauty of the system. After all the rules I've seen, especially Epic, this type of FWC system sounds  better then any Epic iteration, IMO. And every version of morale and C&C in Epic was weak. But we'll just have to wait and see ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (javelin98 @ 14 Oct. 2008, 20:49 )

Quote: (netepic @ 14 Oct. 2008, 05:12 )

Well, as soon as I can afford a copy of the rules and if it's not against his copyright, I can do so.

Can't wait ;)

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (pixelgeek @ 14 Oct. 2008, 23:17 )

Quote: (primarch @ 14 Oct. 2008, 14:59 )

Thoughts?

I'd suggest testing the game out a few times with the Titans as he has them specced and then see what you think

Hi!

Pete's response to my question was thus:

The game was designed for two at the most, so if you increase that number, it's up to you to see what works. I personally don't like super units like those in the GW universe.

I'll try and see how much the system will tolerate. I suspect it can accommodate a couple more weapon systems. Of course price will be an issue, since it will make these massive units quite pricey (which is in itself not a bad thing).

Now that I feel "comfy" with the rules, I'll proceed with "making up" stuff for it.  :;):

On another point, I prefer to post here regarding FWC, since what I need is opinions of people whom know well the "epic universe" and fluff, since the end goal is to make the FWC rules better simulate that fluff.

If I need a "hard" rule interpretation I'll ask Pete directly.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got a confirmation email today that FWC is on it's way from the Warstore.  I'm really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Me too Sarge !!!   8v)   Yahooooo ! :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well got my FWC in the mail a couple of hours ago !    :vD  Yeah !!   Well I can truly say that the Boyz did their home work !!  Great job !!  It's worth it just for the pics & lists ... not to mention the rules. I like the fact that it shows CH vs. DRM, etc., etc. ... IT's all good !  A Multi-verse of minis !  :alien:  And I think G/W once again missed an oppertunity ... but I guess that is no surprise !  :oops:   Now that being said, I ID'd the FWC to G/W forces(which you all have done already !) - tell me if I'm wrong !  X31 = Tau & Kroot, Eldritch = Eldar, Marines = SMs, Red Guard = IG , MecGregor = Squats, 7429 = 'Nids, Hunter-Scav = Orks ...   But Chaos ?  :rock:   Or were they TOO Weird even for FWC !?!?   :oo:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next