Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Future War Commander

Post subject: Future War Commander
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pete added the rules because he picked up some 28mm figs and wanted to see if he could adapt the rules to a larger scale.

I do think its odd that he picked that as the topic for his first BatRep but that just might be where is mind is at the moment :-)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Haven't found a 6/15mm batrep yet though

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One thing I would say, if at all like CWC, FWC is definitely not a tournament gaming system!

Recieved some quite intense reactions when we asked whether possible to host a CWC tourny at our annual wargames show!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Fredster4050 @ 12 Oct. 2008, 10:32 )

One thing I would say, if at all like CWC, FWC is definitely not a tournament gaming system!

Recieved some quite intense reactions when we asked whether possible to host a CWC tourny at our annual wargames show!!

How so? Its a point balanced game so how would it not be good for tournaments?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry Fredster, I so misread what you wrote. Sorry.
It was missing bat-rep of 6/15 you were, not thinking it was for 28.

Anyhow, what reactions was that?

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As far as the whole "realism" thing goes, Future War Commander is going to be just fine as it is based on the rules developed for historical wargaming and has produced satisfying results for many gamers which are sticklers for detail of a degree far greater than myself.

Found out another use for smoke is the shell game.  Artillery deliver smoke to 4 or 5 locations when you only need to move through one.  They'll all attract fire, but which do you shoot at?  Do you split?  Concentrate on one at a time?  I can see this being abstracted simply into a penalty to hit.

I'm just happy FWC doesn't handle smoke like an invincible force field.

That's weird that people don't think it'll stand up to tournament play.  Or is it more of a philosophy thing?  That they don't think it should have to?  Or that tournament play typifies a type of play not in keeping with the designer's prefered mode of play?

EDIT:  Just wanted to add a link to some video footage of some Russian training exercises (there's no sound/commentary).  I don't know exactly what is going on but from 3:00 on, there's some serious smoke work, tracer fire and whatnot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyow0fxB1BM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Erik M @ 12 Oct. 2008, 17:08 )

You sure have something to look forward to L 4. :agree:

I think so too ! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's weird that people don't think it'll stand up to tournament play.  Or is it more of a philosophy thing?  That they don't think it should have to?  Or that tournament play typifies a type of play not in keeping with the designer's prefered mode of play?

Yes exactly that, the reaction was that the games system was not designed with tournament play in mind. That to get the most out of it you play mission based games with the random points and army modifier on which could be tricky in a tournament setting!
There is no reason why you couldn't have a CWC/FWC tournament, but we decided against hosting one given the reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Fredster4050 @ 13 Oct. 2008, 03:44 )

That to get the most out of it you play mission based games with the random points and army modifier on which could be tricky in a tournament setting!

Random points?

And what tournaments do you play in, other than E:A, that don't have mission based  scenarios?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm in the middle of doing a 6mm Batrep.. will try and get it up tomorrow...

(oh and I fail, just sent my post as a report instead of a post....  :oops: )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Random points?

And what tournaments do you play in, other than E:A, that don't have mission based  scenarios?

Sorry I'm not being clear. If you use the battlegroups feature in CWC it allocates a random points modifier to your force, therefore a 2000 point force could end up as 1800 or 2200. In addition the forces come with the force level modifier that can add a further points difference. I believe the same applies to FWC.
Many wargames come with both a tournament and friendly rules set such as E:A, however the BKC/CWC/FWC family seem primarily designed for wargaming not tournaments which was reinforced to me by the reaction the community gave to our suggestion of a CWC tournament.

Personally I have no problem with this, a game without tournament intentions allows for a healthy debate away from 'my killer 3000 point list can beat your killer 3000 point list.' This seems more realistic in terms of historical context, after all rarely have battles been composed of equal strength forces.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (nathaniel @ 12 Oct. 2008, 23:24 )

EDIT:  Just wanted to add a link to some video footage of some Russian training exercises (there's no sound/commentary).  I don't know exactly what is going on but from 3:00 on, there's some serious smoke work, tracer fire and whatnot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyow0fxB1BM

I was going to watch the video, but I've seen enough intell footage of Russian Training Exercises in my past, that I began to think I could recognize some of the troops !  :blues:  8v)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Fredster4050 @ 13 Oct. 2008, 23:51 )

Personally I have no problem with this, a game without tournament intentions allows for a healthy debate away from 'my killer 3000 point list can beat your killer 3000 point list.' This seems more realistic in terms of historical context, after all rarely have battles been composed of equal strength forces.

Never was a fan of Tournament Games/Rules ... If I'm going to stand in a crowded room with guys standing around yelling and throwing dice ... I'll go to Vegas ! :p  :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Fredster4050 @ 13 Oct. 2008, 15:51 )

If you use the battlegroups feature in CWC it allocates a random points modifier to your force, therefore a 2000 point force could end up as 1800 or 2200. In addition the forces come with the force level modifier that can add a further points difference. I believe the same applies to FWC.

Ignore it for a tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

PG, are you proficient in the rules, so as to field questions? I'd rather post them here than on the official boards, since over time they have more to do with FWC take on "epic".

The first few are very basic rules questions:

1. I gather that there are no real "formations" in the rigid sense like in other games. So basically I can make up my own and they can change/combine/divide during the actual game? Is it that loose?

2. Massive units like titans have only two weapons systems? Primary and secondary?

From my perspective the rules are very well written and easy to understand.

I really like his take on epic units with FWC stats. In some instances I'd argue they would make the army play like the fluff describes than any version of epic rules. Good stuff.

I'm starting to compile my list of units and weapons that weren't covered and tackle the chaos army.

Thanks for the help.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next