Login |  Register |  FAQ

PDF+SM v Tyranid Assault

Post subject: PDF+SM v Tyranid Assault
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, here is another BatRep from the past...

This game took a long time... so long in fact that as the turns go on some Tyranids get better painted.

This was a stand alone game, but with assault rules with a few restrictions for the Tyranids (played by me). Only One Hierophant and/or One Hierodule allowed and no Drop Pods. Time restricted to six turns. 5000pnts (...ish...) of PDF Defenders (Played by a friend) are Dug-In and 1000pnts (...ish...) of Space Marines are in reserve to enter play on Turn 5. (But I didn't know that at the time)

Please don't ask what the OOB was, I can't remember, sorry.

I never even thought of taking a photo before starting the battle but I'll rectify that on the next BatRep. I've also got very few photo's through out (too busy at the time) but I hope that what there is, was worthwhile. ?

Turn 1 - Tyranid Artillery units Lurk behind cover while the Termagants go over the top.

Turn 2 - PDF hold firm under fire

No picture of this but the Hierophant took a load of heavy fire causing enough damage to make it collapse on the spot. (Brace yourself... House Rule coming up...)
Units that become Immobilized during battle due to damage are vulnerable to attack. They may not move, even to turn in place. They half their Caf result in Close Combat and all enemy Ranged attacks targeted against it gain a +1 to hit. Units with Wounds become Immobilized when they exceed their Wound limit and are placed on their side. Not to be mixed with Static support/artillery weapons. (I'm cringing anticipating the replies to this one... as I imagine your are cringing while reading it.)
You may only ever apply one result of 'half Caf' so other damage... say severed legs etc does not further modify the Caf.

Anyway the Bio-Titan got properly pounded after this causing multiple wounds (12 in total plus at least three Critical Hits.) However not only does it then go and regenerate six wounds it also heals one of the Critical Hits.
The good news was that it was left with two severed legs so it was still immobile. Armed with a Pyro Acid Spray, Ripper Tentacles and Stinger Salvo it was left just within range of the defenders front line...

Turn 3 - The main Tyranid Assault finally crashes home

Turn 3 - The razor wire is breach on both Flanks.

(Another House Rule... sigh) Haruspex have a Bulldoze ability - similar to Ork Bonebreaker Deathrolla'. This allows them while on Charge orders to remove Razorwire (only) on a 4+. If they fail they get caught up in the wire and must try again next turn. (Come on look at the size of the claws on the thing)

Turn 4 - The next assault waves close in

Turn 5 - The Blood Angels arrive. Devastators take up defensive positions while Tactical and Assault Marines rush to secure the front line.

Turn 5 - The Imperial position is Swamped as defenders struggle to stem the tide

Turn 5 - The Imperial Warlord Titan 'Warchild' fails in it's attempt to finish off the Hierophant while keeping out of the Dominatrix line of sight. Screaming her hate she strips the Warlords shields bare and later a shot from the Hierodule armed with a Bile Launcher (and a carefully horded Pathogenic Slime Hive Mind Card) manages to breach the reactor..

Turn 5 - Further damage to the reactor causes Warchild to explode spectacularly! Boiling gases wipe out many of the tightly packed defenders on that flank.

Unfortunately I took no more pictures but by the end of the Combat Phase of Turn 5 the PDF were all but routed while the Space Marines were left to face the next onslaught.

Both players agree to call it...

Tyranid Victory!

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:06 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That is a truly impressive horde of 'nids, thanks for posting!

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stop drooling, Dave. Your Nid army might that big someday, too.  :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Warhead, your really making me want to take out the primarchload and do a siege scenario.

I love those type of games!!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys,

Warhead, your really making me want to take out the primarchload and do a siege scenario.

I'll read anyone's Report with great interest. (and download their pictures too to give me painting tips.) Please someone, anyone start Posting Battle Reports!...

I'm feverishly trying to work out an OOB for the Manticore Play Test. The table is set up and the weekend looms. (IG or TG v Orks - 4000pnts each straight stand up fight with no house rules... sigh.) I normally play NetEpic v4.1 :D  but do I need to use v5.0  :(  I want to make sure the next Battle Report is fair and balanced. Any ideas?...

That is a truly impressive horde of 'nids, thanks for posting!

:D Thank you. At the risk of being an Obnoxious prat (again :blush: ) I'm afraid that is only a third of my Tyranid Hive Swarm (Hopefully a picture to follow) but a third is still to be assembled or converted while more than two thirds still need to be painted. That's over 35,000pnts in old money. (If I've counted all my fingers and toes properly anyway. :laugh: )

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, here is a suggestion from an earlier game. This is a balanced scenario where each side is presented with variable deployment possiblities, but otherwise it is played according to the normal E:A tournament rules (section 6.0). The game is setup as for a corner to corner game, but then largely fought side to side

Set-up
  • Objectives are preset to provide balance.
  • Both sides declare Space-borne formations, then air-borne and other reserves in the usual way.
  • Both sides may then declare additional Ground-entry reserves that may enter the table on Turn #2 onwards anywhere in the ?Reserve Deployment zone? on their table half. Alternatively these Ground-entry reserves may try to enter down roads outside their Reserve deployment zone by changing their activation as follows:-
    ? ? "Red" Forces may enter down
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - Road (2) on a 4+
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - Road (4) on a 6+
    ? ? "Blue" Forces may enter down
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - Road (1) on a 6+
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - Road (2) on a 5+
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - Road (5) on a 6+
  • Both sides place garrisons as usual. Red forces may garrison c) and d), while Blue forces may garrison a) and b).
  • Both sides deploy any remaining forces as usual in the orange deployment zones. ?Red? forces may be deployed up to the line of hills in the NE table quadrant, while "Blue" forces may deploy up to the edge of the hills in the SW quadrant..
Hope you find it enjoyable

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Ginger, thanks for the suggestion :D

it is played according to the normal E:A tournament rules (section 6.0).

Ah great, now I'll need to read the rules. Still to try this system  :blush:  and convince the lads to give it a go. Would you say it's wildly different to NetEpic v4.1? (Only liked some changes in v5... and I can't download v5 from 'The Nexus')

Both sides declare Space-borne formations, then air-borne and other reserves in the usual way.

Eh? What mean Dis? (Ok, I'll read the rules)

I like the corner to corner idea and the roads as entry points for reinforcements. I think I'll file this one away for later use in an escalating 'Meeting Engagement' game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

E:A is wildly different to NetEpic I'm afraid.  Somewhat similar to Epic40K, but nothing like NetEpic.  I'm assuming honest mistake but that probably shouldn't have been posted here.

Your house rule for the Bio Titan is actually probably less bad than the real rule....so the Tyranid players will like it I guess :) .  In V5.0 a bug that is knocked over for too many wounds only gets its CAF, rolling no dice.

I really woundn't have wanted to be the PDF on that table :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To right mate, scary things Nids. To be fair I took quite a pounding before the end.

Never got into Epic 40K. I found winning too easy if you took big clumps of similar ranged units and combined with your few other massive units. Then you got to kill everything before you took too much damage.

Hopefully they fixed that in EA but to be honest I'm quite happy playing NetEpic v4.1 (with some additional changes)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(zap123 @ Jun. 14 2008,13:19)
E:A is wildly different to NetEpic I'm afraid. ?Somewhat similar to Epic40K, but nothing like NetEpic. ?I'm assuming honest mistake but that probably shouldn't have been posted here.

Your house rule for the Bio Titan is actually probably less bad than the real rule....so the Tyranid players will like it I guess :) . ?In V5.0 a bug that is knocked over for too many wounds only gets its CAF, rolling no dice.

I really woundn't have wanted to be the PDF on that table :D

You are correct that I misread the thread, but the proposed should work for Netepic just as well (in fact I have used it for a number of widely different fictional and historical rules). In essence, this provides a staged build up to a battle, with the initial forces being deployed in the orange deployment zones, while both sides can hold back reserve formations to arrive later to arrive on different parts of the battlefield. It is this choice of flank attacks that actually makes the battle more interesting than the usual head-to-head slog.

When setting up, each player may deploy some "Light" or 'static' troops to defend the objectives in their table half, a form of 'trip wire' that can be used either as a means to slow up an advance, or to channel the enemy into particular sectors. (These are assumed to have been put in place before the battle started). Both sides should then decide on their off-table reserves in secret before the game (and it is up to you and the gaming style whether you reveal their composition or not). Finally both sides deploy their initial forces and start the battle.

From turn #2 onwards, both sides may bring on their reserve forces either in their "reserve deployment ares" or attempt to bring them on as "flank" forces down roads outside that area. If you decide to try to bring formations down a road but fail, that side passes the initiative over to the opposition, but the troops can be brought on later in any other part of the battlefield (so they are not committted to the particular road).

Winning the battle is determined by the number of "Objectives" achieved rather than the number of opponents killed. In E:A, the Objective system is one of the more elegant means I know of determining winners and losers, and I am sure you could also use it here (or indeed in any other rule system). In summary, there are five different "objectives" that each side can try to achieve :-
  • "Defend the flag"
    Achieved if you have active formations within 15 cms of each of the three objectives in your table half
  • "They shall not pass"
    Achieved if there are no active enemy units in your half of the table (you fail if there is only one enemy unit from an active formation in your half). Note here, the battle is fought diagonally, but reserves can arrive very close to the enemy half.
  • "Take and hold"
    Achieved if you have managed to get active units within 15 cms of two uncontested objectives in the opposing table half. The enemy contests the objective if he also has active units inside 15cms.
  • "Take the Blitz"
    Achieved if you manage to get an active unit within 15 cms of the uncontested objective on the opposing table edge.
  • "Break the spirit"
    Achieved if you have managed to completely destroy the most valuable enemy formation (ie there is no remnant left on the battlefield)

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Ginge',

I'm not above using other peoples ideas for any of my games and have had to survive in an Epic vacuum with only Epic40k rules and BatReps to keep me company for years (Before I found NetEpic anyway.) I'm confident I can manage making EA or Epic40K rules fit just fine. So please keep them coming...

the Objective system is one of the more elegant means I know of

Would you say EA is a far better system?... Am I missing out?.. (Anyone's reply is welcome)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am "new" to EPIC and have been playing only E:A for 2+ years, so cannot comment on NetEpic or indeed any of the earlier systems. The fact that NetEpic has continued this long is evidence that it "works" for those who use it. Personally speaking, E:A "works" for me, though I understand it is rather different system.

However, I can say that in my 30+ years of wargaming in a large number of different systems, that the precepts in the "Art of War" by SUN TZU generally hold true for wargames that are reasonably balanced. One of the precepts is that battlefields "shape" the battle, so given the same ratio of forces in roughly the same positions (including the arrival of any reserves etc), you will tend to get similar outcomes irrespective of the period being fought. In this case, I have refought this particular battle with Eighteenth Century, Nineteenth Century and 40K forces all with similar results to the historical event.

As to the use of objectives, IMHO they capture the essence of the strategy on either side, and in turn will tend to further "shape" the battle; but without necessarily constraining the means either side adopts to achieve the end-goals. IMHO the way that E:A defines these objectives is particularly elegant - especially as this particular mechanism can be lifted and applied to any set of rules / battle.

Indeed, they are particularly suited to a "pseudo" campaign system of linked battles, where the objectives achieved determine which side won or lost but the army commanders must then fight the next engagement with the remaining forces available (bolstered by some reinforcements, reserves, re-grouped formations etc). Thus you can easily achieve a "Pyrric victory" - winning the battle without sufficient means to capitalise on the results or even to fight the next one.

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Ginger,

I have set up a table similar but not exactly like the map above (using the terrain that I have available) while still trying to take in some of the points you have made.

I will attempt to adapt this for Epic in some way and hopefully this will be my next BatRep.