Login |  Register |  FAQ

BFG Spotting

Post subject: BFG Spotting
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For all the BFG junkies out there, the game makes a few (brief) appearences in the latest White Dwarf (WD 266 UK).

1. It features as part of the Eye of Terror story by Graham McNeil. There's a Blackstone at Cadia and the Eldar & Imperium revive their shaky alliance.

2. Tau and Imperial vessels will be contributing to the stroyline and levels of the upcoming Fire Warrior game, including a cut scene movie (which I didn't knbow about before) featuring an Emperor Class Battleship engaged in a firefight.

3. Probably an odd mention or two in what the Adeptus Astartes have been doing during the EoT campaign, but I haven't read that yet :)

4. The Fanatic pages focus heavily on the upcoming Tau fleet. See my other thread for my thoughts on them.

Jackhammer

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:01 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

In general, I did not like the latest WD for a number of reasons:

- No true Gothic coverage. The last few issues had some articles of Gothic, even if they were mag reprints. That was missing from this one, and I hope that this is a temporary thing and we will see it back next issue.

- Price rise. With the price going up, the issues being sealed for no obvious reason except to stop people knowing what is inside, and the reduction of Epic and Gothic stuff, I am glad that I dont have a subscription!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

True the price rise is a problem. I'm going to extend my subscription so it won't hit me until further into the future.

If you want to know what's in side, the WD section on the GW always lists the content of both the current and upcoming magazine. Maybe they got bored with people just skimming throught the mag and not buying it? Or it could be to do with the increasing number of freebies in WD (see http://www.players-society.com/newforum ... hp?t=12078).

To be honest, I've been surprised with the amount of coverage BFG has been getting recently. You might be disappoint if you expect this trend to be maintained indefinitely. I'll be happy as long as there is too much W40K stuff as I collect WFB, LotR and a lot of the Fanatic games, but not 40K!.

Jackhammer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally, I can't see the reason for a price rise- GW sells loads, there is nothing spectacually cool about the freebees, though they are nice, and while some of it is great and helpful, or exciting like well written battle reports with cool pictures... there have been no "mega competitions" like there were in the 90's -Win one of _everything_ GW made at the time... to be that lucky..  :;): -Basically, I don't think it will be worth ?4.00..

Oh, and cheers for that thread link Jackhammer.. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yepp, the price rise is a real problem.
I also agree on the "sealed mag" thing.
Lately (and unfortunatly), some of the articles in WD tend to be of lower interest/quality, the publicity is taking over the pages at an alarming rate, and theres this little 10/12pages "extra" for the last 2 years or so with LoTR that doesnt interest me a single bit!
To tell the truth, no one I know that seriously plays any of the usual GW games has started LoTR, so I wonder why havent they made a specfic mag for it.
I'd rather read Blood Bowl, or Gorkamorka (not to mention BFG) articles than LoTR stuff...

Cheers
Axt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Axtklinge @ 22 2003 Sep.,20:29)
To tell the truth, no one I know that seriously plays any of the usual GW games has started LoTR, so I wonder why havent they made a specfic mag for it.

Ahem [loud theatrical cough :)]...

Quote (Jackhammer @ 20 2003 Sep.,20:29)
as I collect WFB, LotR  and a lot of the Fanatic games,

As for the price, I think the biggest thing actually might be the lack of outside adds that WD can/wants to attract in. Other large, glossy mags are field with reams of the things and they must account for a signicant percentage of the profits. I think I've heard it mentioned that WD doesn't make that much or it might even be a loss leader for GW products.

Jackhammer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:40 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Quote (Jackhammer @ 22 2003 Sep.,19:41)
If you want to know what's in side, the WD section on the GW always lists the content of both the current and upcoming magazine. Maybe they got bored with people just skimming throught the mag and not buying it? Or it could be to do with the increasing number of freebies in WD (see http://www.players-society.com/newforum ... hp?t=12078).

To be honest, I've been surprised with the amount of coverage BFG has been getting recently. You might be disappoint if you expect this trend to be maintained indefinitely. I'll be happy as long as there is too much W40K stuff as I collect WFB, LotR and a lot of the Fanatic games, but not 40K!

True, but the list of the latest WD does not cover the things in detail. I want to know if there is any Gothic stuff, and what it covers.

But, with the mag sealed so that I cant check, the price going up and articles not being a regular feature from Gothic, it means that I will risk ?4 for a mag that I might not be interested in.  :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, if all else fails, than you can always ask on this board. There's bound to be someone with a WD who is able to help out :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Jackhammer

:D
No offense ment, ok?
Its just that the different size of LoTR minis (thus hardly "mingling" with other systems) has kept me and everyone I know from my gamming circle away.
The "buying for painting" option is not absolutly out of the question, but I already have zillions of minis and converting projects soo it might be hard...

Cheers
Axt