Login |  Register |  FAQ

BATREP: Two 2750 Marine vs. 'Nid battle reports...

Post subject: BATREP: Two 2750 Marine vs. 'Nid battle reports...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:11 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Just played two more games. (Using some changes Maksim is indicating will go in the new list, along with some other ideas we have been talking about. Used all exp rules too (assault rules etc) as I assume these will be introduced,  we used Zaks terrain shadow pop up rule rahter thna the 15cm ignore terrian pop-up rule).

Tyranid forces in both games were:

Synapse:
3 Tyrants (300) (plus RA, minus tyrant guard and rending claw attacks, and minus invulnerable save).
2 Warrior broods (300)
1 Greater Synapse Node (100)
3 Lesser Nodes (assuming Maksims 0-3 limit) (90).

Independent: I tried modified versions of these:
1 Lictor Brood, 150 points (tried these out used 3 in each brood, with one first strike 2+ attack each)
1 Biovore Brood (3 in each for 150 points, (using the AP5+ AT5+, indirect, disrupt, 45cm range)
1 Dactocrine/Dactylis Brood (3 for 250, (1BP each not two)).

Common: (minimum points)
20 Termagants (5+FF and 15 points).
14 Hormis (used 15cm move - want to be able to garrison along with rest of little bugs).
10 Gargoyles.

Uncommon:
8 Carnifex
6 Zoanthropes

Marines had in Game 1:

2 Devastator formations, each with 2 dreads.
Landraider Formation
2 Assault formations
2 whirlwind Formations
1 Tactical Formation with dread.
1 Terminator Formation

Marines had in Game 2:
3 Devastator formations, two with 2 dreads, 1 with 1.
1 Landraider Formation
2 whirlwind Formations
5 Landspeeders
1 Terminator Formation
1 Thunderhawk

GAME 1 was a complete annihilation of the marines.

The bugs garrisoned with most units, marched on turn 1 and assaulted on turns 2 and 3. The marine shooting did not kill enough bugs to soften their impact, and marine garrisons which could have pulled back were instead over-run by carnifexes. The infantry bug swarms lost over half their number to whirlwinds but it was not enough to stop them. The carnifex and tyrant swarms received lots of AT fire but shrugged most of it off.

3 Lesser nodes spawned right in the middle of the marine position on turn 2 and spawned bugs... plus the Lictors arrived, all near the whirlwinds and landraiders. Thus the marines were overwhelmed with targets. All the bugs hit on turns 2 and 3 together.

At the end of turn 4 all marines were dead or routing except the terminators. The termis had teleported in and destroyed the greater synapse node and bug artillery park (who were not using it for synpase but rather just wanting some bug spawning capability nearby).

GAME 2 was completely the opposite.

First I tried to swing wide through cover with the infantry swarms to stop the whirlwinds doing as much damage. I also diverted a good number of bugs from the main attack to destroy the Landspeeders, as I didn't want to get crossfired.

Thus my tyranid forces ended up divided and the marines were able to concentrate most of their firepower on the tyrants and 5 carnifexes that were in position to assault the first garrison on turn 2.  AT fire had much more success this game and killed a tyrant and 4 Carnifexes before they could hit the enemy. The tyrant and carnifex remaining assaulted and were killed (though they broke the enemy devastator formation which had been softened with dactylis fire).

I teleported the nodes and Lictors into the enemy position on turn 2, but this was covered by two devastator units which made short work of them.

My remaining forces closed ready to attack on turn 3, but they took a third round of fire and were too depleted to do enough damage.

The terminators once again killed the greater synapse node and dactocrines and grabbed two bug objectives... so the game was all over turn 3.

CONCLUSIONS:    Two completely opposite results... however, the bugs seemed to work well.  

I think the cap on lesser synapse nodes may be warranted... as 30 point activations are very cheap - either that or increase their points to 50, and maybe give them RA.

Giving the Greater Synapse node 'Rippers' (6+ CC/FF) as Maksim suggested would be a nice idea... Sucks not being able to fight back at all...maybe evn give it to the little ones if they are 50 points and RA.

I'm not sure about having biovores and dactocrines as independent creatures though it makes some sense. I think 40-50  points for a biovore, and 75 for a dactocrine (with their reduced stats) is appropriate.  Even with their reduced stats they are sill real killers with disrupt ability.... I hate to think of how devastating they would be in units of more than 3 if they are brood creatures...

We also played that uncommon brood units (thropes and carnis in this game) took two points to spawn, and once again I strongly recommend this as a change. Spawning these guys for 1 point is just a no brainer and unbalancing at present IMHO.

A last sidenote... The marine player was keen to get a bug army so something must be right about them!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: First star to the right, and straight on till morning.
Nice report....been meaning to try that new list myself.  One question:  Do you think that the 'nid spawing function is as useful as it seems?  Unless you are using nodes, the idea of stopping a swarm to spawn would seem to be a bad idea.  I have only stopped to spawn with a swarm once in a game, and it gave the oppenent time to recover.  Of course, this was with an earlier list, and my playtest experience is limited, hence the question.

:)

my 2cents,

iblisdrax

"Hallo. My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die!"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:34 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (iblisdrax @ 17 2005 July,17:37)
Do you think that the 'nid spawing function is as useful as it seems? ?Unless you are using nodes, the idea of stopping a swarm to spawn would seem to be a bad idea. ?I have only stopped to spawn with a swarm once in a game, and it gave the oppenent time to recover. ?Of course, this was with an earlier list, and my playtest experience is limited, hence the question.

Well it takes the place of a marshal action - so as I understand it, you can move and then spawn, or shoot at -1 then spawn. Therefore if you can get within charge range of the enemy for the next turn with one move, it is probably worth doing.  

Also if you need to spawn some particular units in a particular place it is worth doing - eg a unit shot to pieces can spend a turn to recover substantially (7 units on average) which can bring it back to being a fighting unit. It is also more feasible  with the cheaper synaspse opitons in the current list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have had many spwaning where I got 10 or more bases back.
The look on the SM players face was great.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: First star to the right, and straight on till morning.
oooo...I forgot about the marshal action..  "DOH!" :O
I need more playtest experience...

my 2cents,

iblisdrax

"Hallo. My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:15 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (Markconz @ 17 2005 July,10:11)
A last sidenote... The marine player was keen to get a bug army so something must be right about them!

...And the marine player now has a bug army  :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:14 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (Hena @ 10 2005 Aug.,13:45)
Quote (Markconz @ 17 2005 July,22:34)
[quote=iblisdrax,17
Also if you need to spawn some particular units in a particular place it is worth doing - eg a unit shot to pieces can spend a turn to recover substantially (7 units on average) which can bring it back to being a fighting unit. It is also more feasible ?with the cheaper synaspse opitons in the current list.

Doesn't that require that you are atleast 30cm from enemy. Few games that I've used it had problem with being too close to the enemy. Eg. got only 1d6 spawned.

Few times that I've used it was for synapse node swarms (lesser teleported)... Never for normal swarms.

Yes you have to be over 30cm from the enemy to get the average of 7 units.

The last time I used it with two badly shot up swarms two turns in a row, to stop the enemy advancing into my table half... it gave me a victory condition. I also used it to boost carnifex swarms on the other flank which were assaulting the enemy (just 1D6 spawn because they were 5cm away from the enemy after moving). A case of 'can't close combat assault this turn' - and spawning will probably be more useful than shooting with one tyrant...