Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Two Scales, two ways of thought...

Post subject: Two Scales, two ways of thought...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Makes note ... Daf likes bright shiny things ... :;):

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (Legion 4 @ 12 2005 July,15:47)
Amen ! ?Not mention the 40k rules are lame and many of the players are "kids into bright shiny things" ! :;): Just my opinion ... I could be wrong ! ?:laugh:

True

But some of the bright shiny things are way cool.:D

I no longer play 40k (since about the time that EpicA was released) but I do still buy the occasional figure if I like the look of the model. I also tend to buy most of the Codicci to keep up todate with background fluff etc.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Adds another name to list ... :blues:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've got half a dozen armies for 40K.... :p

(L-4 adds more names!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmmm ... ???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had three very large 40k armies, not any more. I gave up on 40k and the whole Rules fights etc.

Must admit there are times I see the pictures and think how cool they are, but at this point I do not see myself being tempted.

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (dafrca @ 13 2005 July,18:52)
I had three very large 40k armies, not any more. I gave up on 40k and the whole Rules fights etc.

Must admit there are times I see the pictures and think how cool they are, but at this point I do not see myself being tempted.

dafrca

As far as I know, no one has ever accused 40k of not having nice minis. Unfortunately, nice minis don't guarantee a good game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:48 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

In answer to the question:  I tend to collect first, then theme it out.

SM/Epic:  I bought Eldar because the old boxes had 3 races and no one else was playing Eldar.  I then bought an ork army just because a friend was getting out of it and wanted to sell.  The rest is history... a history of madness.

40K:  Basically, I just bought an army because it is easy to find a game.  I bought a random collection of Eldar figs from various people at cheap prices.  I had lots of aspect warriors, so it's now a Biel Tan army.  I also bought a marine army because it was dirt cheap, second-hand from a former GW employee.  It happens to line up with my Epic SM force (BA successors in Epic, Fleshtearer/BA trim for the 40K figs), so they are in the process of being painted to match.

WHFB:  I wanted an army and had a few in mind.  At an auction I was able to snag several lots of Beastman minis (one of the choices I was looking at) that came out to ~2000 points for ~$150.  So, now I play Beastmen.  I painted them a Tzeentch-ish color scheme so I can field them as Tzeentch faction or undivided.  Of course, if Tzeentch marks didn't suck so bad, they'd be pure Tzeentch...

====

I have always wanted to theme out an army from scratch and buy only the figs needed to fill it out to specs, but I can't seem to do it.

I think that the problem is that I cannot let cheap and neat looking minis get away. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (nealhunt @ 13 2005 July,19:48)
I think that the problem is that I cannot let cheap and neat looking minis get away. :D

I think that is an affliction many of us here have!  :;):  :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 12 2005 July,15:47)
Amen ! ?Not mention the 40k rules are lame and many of the players are "kids into bright shiny things" ! :;): Just my opinion ... I could be wrong ! ?:laugh:

Hmmm.  I've been an avid player of 40k for nearly 6 years.  I started on Eldar, went to Chaos, back to Eldar, then on to Space Marines (for which I developed my own chapter with intricate background!).  I've started three other armies since then, but keep returning to the Space Marines and adding units.

My approach to 40k has always been very infantry based armies - and yet my IG and SM Epic armies are totally mechanised, loads of tanks!

I appreciate the gripes with 40k.  Nowadays I find that Epic captures my imaginiation more than 'normal' 40k anyway.  I think that, the bigger 40k gets, it seems less fun.  So I've been thinking about adapting the 'Kill Team' rules from the current 40k rulebook and playing 40k as more of a skirmish game, than lined up armies, like it was originally.

I was reading one of the Eisenhorn books recently, and it struck me how cool and cinematic it would be to play a game where a small/single team of elite soldier-types takes on a couple of gangs/platoon/mob of bad guys, led by a big bad villain (and let's face it, 40k is at its most fun when it's played from a narrative rather than competitive perspective).

I've found that, as armies get larger for 40k, certain types of armies always win (e.g. those that get across the board and in to cc fastest).  It's hard to have a truly 'balanced' army in 40k, whereas this is VITAL in Epic, one of the things I like most about it, you NEED to take a bit of everything sometimes!  :D

Having said that, I still play 40k, and I will still collect my Space Marines, and generic Inquisition units (I've got a few squads of Storm Troopers, and have some Grey Knights, now putting together a Death Watch Kill Team, and plan to buy some Arco-flagellants & a penitent engine for an Ordo Hereticus twist when I fancy it).  And I think there's little debate that some of the 40k miniatures are the best made for ANY wargames!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, and if you're interested, here's my initial thoughts on Kill Team: Advanced, as I like to call it!

Let me know what you think, if it tempts any of you to have a go at 40k again!  :;):

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No offense F/S, just my background/experience and predilection towards Epic makes me polemic !  :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:59 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I think that, the bigger 40k gets, it seems less fun.  So I've been thinking about adapting the 'Kill Team' rules from the current 40k rulebook and playing 40k as more of a skirmish game, than lined up armies, like it was originally.

I agree completely.  There is a group of really good guys that plays in the local shop every week.  They are great to play with, but they all love the "line 'em up and shoot" style of play.  It's not uncommon for them to have 4000 points per side on a 6' table.  At that point level, there is no room for maneuver and very little tactics.  Shoot-shoot-CC for 3 turns - done.

Very uninteresting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:21 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I can't agree more with some of the sentiments posted above. When the experimental rules for E-A came out I was hooked immediately, remembering those huge battles of the past.

Since then I haven't brought another 40k/Fantasy/ancients figure for myself. I pick up the odd model here and there for my kid.

Tim

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

L4 - just wanted to reaffirm that my name is not on the List
- Mental Hygiene Police

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next