Login |  Register |  FAQ

3000pt Codex Astartes - Red Scorpions

Post subject: 3000pt Codex Astartes - Red Scorpions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is a very similar thread to the one that One Second Of Insanity (Osoi) initiated - that's because we're both trying to build new Space Marine armies for the same upcoming tournament (23-Nov), but I need slightly different help and it didn't feel right to hijack his thread.

I started my list-building by using Olly's Ultramarine army as a base.

Then I've tweaked that list. I think the below is 3250 points, but I need to figure out what to include/what to exclude and how to group this. I also need to figure out an army commander (I'll have to proxy something because I don't have any commander miniatures) and in which formations to put the Hunters. Unfortunately I don't have access to Thunderhawks, Terminators, Drop Pods, Battle Barges or Strike Cruisers at this time - besides, I'm still learning so I wanted to keep it simple to begin with.

Detachments as follows:
  • Tactical x 2 (600 points)
  • Devastator (250 points)
  • Assault (175 points)
  • Predator Annihilator (275 points) - will be using proxies. I'll share some pics at a later date.
  • Land Raiders (350 points) + 2 additional Land Raiders (150 points)
  • Reaver Titan (650 points)
  • Bikes (200 points) - using Sisterhood Nemesis Bike Squad as proxies :)
  • Land Speeders (200 points) - using Guild Harpy Multirole Fighters as proxies :)
  • Razorbacks x 6 (150 points)
  • Hunters x 2 (150 points)
  • Dreadnoughts x 2 (100 points)
  • Rhinos x 6 (0 points)

Here are the Objective Markers that I'm planning:
  • Sisters under fire - I'm going to use some of the Sisterhood Themis Squad minis with one of their Juno APCs as an objective marker. i.e.: a group to rescue
  • Crashed Speeder - I'm going to use one of the spare Guild Harpy Multirole Fighters, crash it, and use that as something to rescue/recover.
  • Command Rhino - I have one of the Damocles Command Rhinos which I was going to use as a home base objective

Can I ask for some help please in guiding through the list building process, and if there is anything obvious missing from this army list, please call it out because I may be able to acquire additional pieces after the tournament. (for example, I don't know if it would have been more prudent to take two Warhounds rather than one Reaver - I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark with a lot of this).

Thanks in advance....

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 3000pt Codex Astartes - Red Scorpions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:10 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

have you had a play with Army Forge?

it might make the army building easier, tactical detachments for example are 275 in the latest version of the NetEA codex astartes list

I've been playing marines a lot over the past couple of years, I think you have a decent basis for a list, although you're a bit low on activations as it is... I'd normally aim for a minimum of ten, normally 11 or 12, marines often win by being very hard to finish off and easy to rally, this means you can normally preserve an activation advantage for turn 3/4 and nab objectives

I'd definitely say warhounds fit with marines very well, they bring macro shots to the force which gives you options to deal with problematic stuff by shooting it, they also give you extra activations, they're also fast and fairly durable, and really good for triggering assaults with formations in support fire range, the reaver has its uses but it tends to need babysitting as it's not as tough as a warlord, and can be easily broken by a sneaky assault if you're not careful, it packs a good amount of shooting in, at range, but it also eats up a lot of points in a single activation... personally I prefer the warlord if I'm taking a battle titan as it's that bit tougher

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Kyussinchains, this helps. Also, no, I wasn't aware of Army Forge. I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Scouts! Get some scouts. Ginger used mk6 plastic marines with a scout paint scheme and they look great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

WISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

OK bit of threadromancy here as I, too, have been considering a Red Scorpion list based on the OP tournament list:

Codex Astartes (NetEA Tournament Pack 2014)
==================================================

ASSAULT [175]
4 Assault Units

BIKE [200]
5 Bike Unit

DEVASTATOR [350]
4 Devastators, Razorback, Rhinos, Land Raider

LAND SPEEDER [200]
5 Landspeeder

PREDATOR [325]
4 Annihilator, Hunter

TACTICAL [375]
6 Tacticals, Razorback, Land Raider, Rhinos

TACTICAL [425]
6 Tacticals, Razorback, Land Raider, Rhinos, Chaplain

WARHOUND [275]
1 Warhound Class Titan

WARHOUND [275]
1 Warhound Class Titan

THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [175]
2 Thunderbolt Fighters

VINDICATOR [225]
4 Vindicators

Does this seem viable? I was trying to make an army using models I have access to. So, tank and vehicle heavy, no SM aircraft. The idea is it would be good to fiddle with and use as a "guest" army or a trainer armyalongside other Marine and Eldar forces I have.

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar