Login |  Register |  FAQ

New 3000 point Steel Legion list c and c welcome

Post subject: New 3000 point Steel Legion list c and c welcome
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey gents, I am quite a new player to the whoe epic scene (have yet to have my first game) and I think I have finally worked out my first proper 3000 point steel legion list.

So could you experienced types have a look and see what you think?

Steel Legion, 3000 POINTS
Steel Legion (Epic UK v301209)
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra

MECHANISED INFANTRY COMPANY [450]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra

INFANTRY COMPANY [350]
Commander, 12 Infantry, Fire Support Platoon (4 Fire Support)

STORM TROOPER PLATOON [350]
8 Storm Troopers, Valkyrie Transport

STORM TROOPER PLATOON [350]
8 Storm Troopers, Valkyrie Transport

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels

WARHOUND PACK [500]
2 Warhounds

I was thinking that the mech coy and the warhounds would be my main attacking force being supported by the two stormtrooper formations. While the fire support infantry coy sits on my blitz and holds it. Then the supreme comm formation would trundle around looking for trouble and plugging gaps in the line. The manticores and sentinal would prep enemy formations and do screening work.

So tell me any thoughts or suggestions. Also if anyone has used a list similar to this can you offer any tactical advice. Like the stormtroopers for instance, I like them but are they best used alone to support assaults of in pairs, with them leapfroging each other using their rocket pods to prep before the other assaults.

As for models I was thinking of using the DRM light infantry minis to stand for stormtroopers as I want them to be different from the regular guardsmen. They would be transported in the exodus wars valkyries.

Thanks in advance

Scotty

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New 3000 point Steel Legion list c and c welcome
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

looks like a decent start, my only suggestion would be to drop the fire support from the infantry company and replace with a hydra, then use the 50 points saved to split the warhounds into 2 individuals, it adds flexibility and the all-important extra activation, the hydra sitting on your blitz is very useful for deterring air assaults, plus those fire support guys will be sitting on the blitz, not shooting anything for a good portion of the game

I'd also try to squeeze some thunderbolts in too, aircraft are excellent, especially in the late game if you manage to achieve air superiority so they can fly around with impunity, gunning down broken units and hitting stuff hiding behind terrain

one option would be to replace a stormtrooper formation with vultures, then with the 50 points saved, you could replace a sentinel formation with some planes..... just a suggestion

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!
Another fresh recruit here, ready to di... erm serve the Imperium.
Steel Legion E:A, 3k points as usual, but with a minor tweak; I always looked upon IG as a mass-infantry, mass-tank, mass everything army, therefore in the following and further lists; I'm looking for / experimenting ways to go without Titans and Baneblade / Macharius variants. (Too big, too shiny, few numbers for meh :P )
So yeah may even reconsider to go with SL, and perhaps choose an other one, maybe Baran. But then Baran lacks the mass-tank part of the deal, especially chims and russes which I love and already have tons of them... one can never be really satisfied, right? :P

Steel Legion, 3000 POINTS
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra

TANK COMPANY [700]
9 Leman Russ, 1 Vanquisher, Hydra

MECHANISED INFANTRY COMPANY [400]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera

INFANTRY COMPANY [250]
Commander, 12 Infantry

INFANTRY COMPANY [250]
Commander, 12 Infantry

DEATHSTRIKE BATTERY [200]
2 Deathstrike

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels

THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [150]
2 Thunderbolts

THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [150]
2 Thunderbolts

Infantry garrison up, and advances with the mighty russ company into painful dea... erm halls of glory.
The two mech comp idk wheter they take both flanks or all go the same side (blitz wise) ?
All other formations are there to smoke units hiding in cover. Quite obvious.

Can this actually work, or will fall utterly?

PS.: And why the Malcador is only in one traitor list? It appears as a damn awesome heavy tank by looking! With all the needed variants it would be the perfect end of the mass-tank part.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Looks solid if a little slow, one of the reasons for inclduding warhounds is to use them to trigger engagements with mech companies in FF support, I'd be tempted to condense the two footslogging units into a single mech company and sprinkle a few hydras around, you're looking vulnerable to aircraft (unless you CAP your tbolts all the time....)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was also thinking about Storm Troopers on Valkyries. 350 points, a bit stronger, +5 cm movement, scout around, altough less in numbers comparing to the 400 point mechanized inf. And they are fit for my appetite "fluff". :)

A formation I'm less convinced with is: rough riders. Are they worth their cost? Never tried them, though it would be an interesting option, as they cost only 150 points and a support slot.

With either these swaps, or the one you mentioned, the remaining points would go for hydras.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

the reason warhounds are the optimal choice for this tactic is the initiative 1+, the idea is that you advance/double your mechanised formation into support fire range of the target, then you shoot and prep with blast markers. Next you retain with the warhound and engage said formation in a clipping assault, then unload 20+ support fire shots into them, when your retain+engage formation is activating on a 3+ (best case) the tactic becomes far more risky

rough riders are pretty decent, they're scouts which is useful in itself, plus they can handle themselves in a scrap, they're frighteningly easy to kill, and difficult to hide, as they're quite hard hitting, they tend to be bullet magnets, but if someone is shooting your 150 point scouts, they're not shooting more valuable formations so it's not all bad....

I've had mixed results with stormtroopers, in general I'd go with the mechanised infantry over them for an extra 100 points