Login |  Register |  FAQ

Making Orks Work

Post subject: Making Orks Work
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ok, im an ork player to the core, i have over 15,000 points of 40k scale orks, i also have a 3,000+ point ork fleet in BFG, an Orc team in bloodbowl, as well as a growing Orc army in Warhammer fantasy. hell, im even sketching out an ork TATTOO for my left arm for the spring.

my first game of epic was with orks naturally, i amassed a good sized force and went to learn, and it SUCKED. i think i missed the boat on how to use orks because they always were breaking and not killing much.

now i have some experience with the game, i want to start orks again but not until i get a good grasp from the vets on how to use them. i like gargants, i LOVE gargants i should say, i have 2 stompas and 2 gargants in 40k scale, so i would naturally lean towards them in epic, but what are some fundamentals to remember when playing orks in epic? do i have to lose my 40k metnality of them?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (studderingdave @ 03 Jan. 2009, 13:35 )

do i have to lose my 40k metnality of them?

Can you explain what your 40k mentality of them is?

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

strength in numbers mostly. my main ork tactic in a 40k game is to swamp the opponenet with 3 large units of boyz, with 9 killa kans up front and ghazkull calling the waaagh for the final charge on turn 2 or 3. with fast movers like stormboyz riding up the flanks and kommandos coming in from behind to tighten the noose.

can orks in epic work well without large numbers? or is that a staple for them? either way i wouldnt mind.

how does the gargant mob list fare against other lists? i find myself gravitating towards it as i like vehicles more then infantry in epic (at least from my experience with my first army, the minervans)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

here's a nasty 3k list i've seen used with LOTS of infantry; i hated playing against it!

-Uge Warband
-Uge Warband
-Normal Warband +2 Boyz w/grots
-Normal Warband +2 Boyz w/grots
-6 Stormboyz
-Landa
-Landa
-Normal Stompamob + Supastompa
-Normal Big Gunz + ZZAP Gun
-Normal Blitz Brigade + ZZap Gun (including 1 Flakwagon)
-Big Blitz Brigade +2 Soopaguns (including 4 flakwagons)

There MAY be some upgrades that i've missed out but it's a brutal list; the two normal warbands go in the landers and the two 'uge mobs of infantry usually garrison and enter onto overwatch. If you've got the infantry horde to do it then it can be great fun: PS: there's a real GENIUS thing to do with the Big Gunz; a prize to the first person (not the owner of the list though!) who can spot what it is!
R>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is this one of Joe's tournament list's MOK?

If so I've had the pleasure of having my head handed to me by this army. The 'uge mobs garrisoned on overwatch are just plain wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Mephiston @ 03 Jan. 2009, 23:34 )

If so I've had the pleasure of having my head handed to me by this army. The 'uge mobs garrisoned on overwatch are just plain wrong.

yes i've played against one of those and it was scary, i won but i was using eldar which is one of the few armys that played the right way are tough for orks to beat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Mephiston @ 03 Jan. 2009, 23:34 )

yeah it was Joe! I remember now...nasty, nasty, nasty list! I've set to getting a few more infantry so as i can use and FACE the list when at home...insanity mayhaps...but...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

genius tactics with the big guns?

range finders for another formation?
put them in a landa?
skirmishing screen for the stompas?
leave them on overwatch on an objective?

give up. let the information flow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Man of kent @ 03 Jan. 2009, 23:29 )

PS: there's a real GENIUS thing to do with the Big Gunz; a prize to the first person (not the owner of the list though!) who can spot what it is!
R>

Sustain fire with the guns? If you fail, you shoot anyway, if you succeed...you shoot better?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (TwilightWalker @ 05 Jan. 2009, 06:59 )

Quote: (Man of kent @ 03 Jan. 2009, 23:29 )

PS: there's a real GENIUS thing to do with the Big Gunz; a prize to the first person (not the owner of the list though!) who can spot what it is!
R>

Sustain fire with the guns? If you fail, you shoot anyway, if you succeed...you shoot better?

Datz genius!

Hur hur hur hur hur.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nice list...
Seems I need to build a second landa to have it  :devil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (madd0ct0r @ 04 Jan. 2009, 22:16 )

genius tactics with the big guns?

range finders for another formation?
put them in a landa?
skirmishing screen for the stompas?
leave them on overwatch on an objective?

give up. let the information flow.

*Cat out of bag!*

#4: When i played him Joe left the big gunz with that nasty TK weapon garrisoned and on overwatch on his blitz objective; very useful especially if something like terminators try teleporting anywhere near, or even as a general threat to trying to get onto the orks side of the table.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When I played against Joe's horde with my drop podding chaos force his entire army save the air assaulting boys were on overwatch end of turn 1! Surprisingly I lost badly  :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:42 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (studderingdave @ 03 Jan. 2009, 14:05 )

strength in numbers mostly. my main ork tactic in a 40k game is to swamp the opponenet with 3 large units of boyz, with 9 killa kans up front and ghazkull calling the waaagh for the final charge on turn 2 or 3. with fast movers like stormboyz riding up the flanks and kommandos coming in from behind to tighten the noose.

This can work in Epic as well.  Control the board with huge numbers and squeeze the enemy so they cannot maneuver.  I'm not sure what you mean about being "always broken".  It's pretty hard to break Big Warbands barring a lucky firefight assault and with the WAAAGH! rule they usually rally and with Nobz they remove hordes of blast markers.  Some of the other formations without Nobz have a bit more trouble, but Big/Uge KoS have enough numbers to take a serious beating and the Waaagh! bonus alone keeps them going for a long time.

can orks in epic work well without large numbers? or is that a staple for them? either way i wouldnt mind.

It's pretty hard without large numbers.  The army is an attrition force.  It will normally shrug off a ton of casualties and just keep rolling forward.  If you load up on too many "elite" units you start to hinder that a bit, but it can work as long as you make sure you get those units stuck in.

how does the gargant mob list fare against other lists? i find myself gravitating towards it as i like vehicles more then infantry in epic (at least from my experience with my first army, the minervans)

It seems to do pretty well but it can vary widely depending on the force it's facing.  Against certain armies it will clean up but against others it will take a pounding before it can do much.  Anything with lots of Disrupt, MW, TK and/or Lance weapons will cause it major problems.  It can actually be a bit vulnerable to artillery, of all things, because the barrage rules give so many attacks that they can strip shields very quickly.

Most of the forces I've seen have tended to take one Great Gargant to get the Supreme Commander and a bunch of Kustom Gargants or Krawlas to keep the activation count up.  Basic Gargants are normally in short supply as a result.  The remaining formations are usually a few Loota or Snappa mobs for holding ground and/or initiating assaults.