Login |  Register |  FAQ

My first FWC game

Post subject: My first FWC game
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played my first game last week while I was on convalescent leave.  Reading the dice was a bit of a pain, but it was a fun game.

http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/2008 ... -game.html

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good AAR SFC !  And nice blog, models, etc. !  So I take it you like the FWC rules ...  :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, but not for big stompy robot games.  Too many massive units with shields would make the game drag out.  So I'll be sticking with CAV for when I want some BSR fun, but FWC will be my 6mm sci-fi game of choice.  I think that if I've got more than two massive units I'm going to use the persistent damage variant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Makes sense ... sounds very reasonable ... Thanks Sarge !   :agree:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Interesting, thanks. In what areas does FWC fall down in the BSR genre? And, is there anything that it does do well?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With the hits being removed at the end of each turn and shields regenerating at the beginning of the player's turn it can be difficult to generate enough hits to take out a model.  If I had tried this with two CAVs with shields on both sides, with the exception of a turn with a bunch of lucky command rolls, it would take a long time to play.  However, using the variant of the damage rules where the damage is not removed at the end of the turn would help with that.

The larger issue with BSR games for me is that I like more detail for games with BSRs than FWC provides.  I want to know that it was my gauss cannon that just ripped through the other guy.  FWC is too abstract for that.  On the other hand, I don't want to be subtracting 10 points of damage from the left torso internal structure either.  I won't be able to test this until after my army painting projects are complete, but I think where FWC will shine will be games where the forces are comprised mostly of infantry and non-massive vehicles and one or two massive vehicles in support.  For a large game though, I'm thinking that the persistent damage is going to be needed again for speed's sake, especially if you're looking at fielding more than three or four formations.

I like the command rolls.  It's a new mechanic for me.  It makes for a very interesting game, especially when you're trying to decide whether or not it's worth risking another chance at a command blunder or overextending yourself or going for that last hit to take out a model.  Though I can see where it would suck to be on the receiving end of somebody's lucky command roll streak.  But if you're on the dealing end of that slaughter it's nice to see the momentum of the attack carry through.

It's definitely more IGOUGO than any game using section activation, but sometimes a player's turn doesn't last very long thanks to the command rolls, and those are at the mercy of the dice so it's not as frustrating as waiting for the opponent to move his 4,000,000,000 Rippers in a game of 40k.

I think my next game with the CAV minis is going to be more vehicle and infantry based to see how it works without the massive units.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Sergeant_Crunch @ 03 Dec. 2008, 06:10 )

On the other hand, I don't want to be subtracting 10 points of damage from the left torso internal structure either.  

What is this heresy?!?  I used to love filling in the little bubbles on my BattleMech record sheet as it was pounded in to scrap by enemy PPC's.

But, yeah, I agree it wouldn't seem to fit with the FWC mechanics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (javelin98 @ 03 Dec. 2008, 09:38 )

On the other hand, I don't want to be subtracting 10 points of damage from the left torso internal structure either.  

What is this heresy?!?  I used to love filling in the little bubbles on my BattleMech record sheet as it was pounded in to scrap by enemy PPC's.

Not heresy.  I don't want to sandblast my way through armor, either.  Honestly, I prefer Heavy Gear or HG:Blitz mechanics for big stompy robots (or as the girl at the game store calls them "GDFC" robots:  Gawd-D*mned F***ing cute robots).

effects range from:  "I got a light hit with my Light Autocannon, your gun is out and your armor is down 1 box" to "Oh, I just got an overkill with the antitank missile, you brewed up."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (javelin98 @ 03 Dec. 2008, 10:38 )

So did I.  But the key phrase there is "used to."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A guy on the 6mm SFWG site was asking about FWC. I echoed your observations SFC. You may want to stop by there and see if there is anything else you want to add.  Since you are one of the few on the site that have played it. I only bought it and perused it ... :(