Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Future War Commander

Post subject: Future War Commander
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Of course... I should have known I could rely on Neal.  I'll have to keep my eye on The War Store!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well he has not replied yet, but since The War Store has the other two ... I'd guess FWC will show up ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Does somebody have a "translation" list what all the Epic units are? Most are easy to figure out but I am not sure about some units.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Once I've got my book I'll have a go. I did look at the marine list and thats pretty straight forward from the battlegroup creator.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warphead @ 03 Oct. 2008, 03:02 )

Does somebody have a "translation" list what all the Epic units are?

I think one is going to be available for download at some point

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got a reply from Neal at The War Store !!!    :D   Yeah !!!!!! :vD                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Yes I have it set up as a preorder now, and the books are on the way from the UK

Neal Catapano

Grand Pooh Bah

TheWarStore.com

47420 Main Road

Southold, NY  11971

Direct Line:  631 765 5549

Order Hotline: 631 765 0047

"Think not I came to bring peace.  I did not come to bring peace, but a sword"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:15 PM
To: Neal Catapano
Subject: Future War Commander

Hi Neal, are you going to get copies of the new set of rules Future War Commander ?  By the same guys who did Blitzkrieg and Cold War Commander. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to get a copy or 2 from you then paying post from the UK ...  Let me know, thank you.  L4   Legion 4  "Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War !"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More intell for the Colonies !  :sam:

Scale Creep Taking Advance Orders for Future War Command

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin of Scale Creep Miniatures writes:

We are now taking advance orders for Future War Commander! Priced at $48.00 USD, order by October 15 and shipping is free to all U.S. customers! (International customers get $5 USD off their shipping, too!)

Want details?
Future War Commander is an exciting wargame that allows you to re-create battles of the future using miniatures on a tabletop. Command anything from a company right up to a division, and get a result in 2-3 hours without becoming bogged-down in detail. Suitable for any scale miniatures from 2mm right up to 28mm (including 6mm, 10mm, 15mm and 20mm), and no re-basing is required.

The rules come as a 140-page A4-sized perfectbound book, with over 60 full-color pictures that illustrate how to play the game. These feature real miniatures as you see them on the gaming table. You also get a double-sided A4-sized quick reference sheet.

The game can be played at one of three levels: 1 base = 1 Platoon (the scale the game was designed for), 1 base = 1 Squad or Individual Vehicle, or 1 miniature = 1 Soldier or Vehicle. The ground scale is 1cm = 20m or 1cm = 10m respectively. One turn represents up to 30 minutes of real-life action.

Main Features:
command system that emphasizes the fog of war in a simple but effective manner
the same mechanism for casualty resolution throughout
rules for infantry, armor, reconnaissance, artillery, aircraft and future technology
examples of play using color pictures of miniatures "in-action" to illustrate the game
minimal set-up time - simply assemble your forces and play
unique points system that allows for unequal forces but an equal chance of victory
41 well-presented army lists covering the miniatures of 15 different manufacturers
11 scenarios for simulating combined-arms warfare of the future
suitable for solo, two-player and multi-player games at home, at the club, or in the garden!
one double-sided quick reference sheet included
no supplements - all you need to play in one book
Future War Commander skirmish!
The book includes four pages of rules and three army lists to allow you to play at the skirmish level using individual figures. This means you can use the same core rules to play futuristic games in 6mm and 28mm with the minimum of fuss!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warphead @ 01 Oct. 2008, 14:33 )

Ordered the rules this morning. Of course I don't have time to play E:A or Blitzkrieg Commander as it is. But what is one set of rules more or less?  :whistle:

That's the spirit!  :agree:  I see there are more rules collectors here than just myself.  :D

Future War Commander looks more than promising! Got to grab a copy!

Oops! I just broke my own decision of not coming back until I actually have something meaningful (read: pics of painted minis) to contribute. ************Initiating emergency warp jump. 3,2,1, Engage.***********

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Iron Fist Armoured Legion!
Hm... Someone close to here would be pleased.  :whistle:  :vD

Time to sit down to see FWC's pro's and con's.
Major pro is that just about any models work.
Probable con is that it might be to streamlined.
(An ork is an ork, it's not a green painted ill tempered human with a sawn off M3.)

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only Con that I can see is the price ...  :sad:   But otherwise sounds like it's all good ! :yes:  If nothing else it's has a lot of cool pics !!!  :agree:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Erik M @ 06 Oct. 2008, 02:19 )

(An ork is an ork, it's not a green painted ill tempered human with a sawn off M3.)

It isn't in FWC either. It has a different response distance, different rules on how it reacts when close to the enemy and, if Pete kept it in, it has less accurate artillery as well.

It has a lower tech level as well so it does play differently in games. It is just that the armies all "play" in the same set of rules and there aren't a lot of special rules to fluff up an army to make it more Orky.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quite right. But it wasn't perhaps exactly what I meant, what came out.  :whistle:

To some extent we play because of the fluff. Partly why FoW has been such a complete success. No other WWII game has offered a separate feel like it. And all old time Epic/RogueTrader/FB flock to it.

Hopefully FWC can offer something else, something new.
We have the fluff in the units themselves and these rules make them easily playable. I can take my Grey Aliens and pit them against your Eldar for a nice looking game.

Or is it so that we are to have a separate rule set for each milieu, that the rules form the environement as much as the fluff?

I hope FWC take over where DirtSide perhaps didn't reach fully.
That a good group can make a campaign milieu for their favourite 6mm armies and then perhaps even share this.

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (pixelgeek @ 06 Oct. 2008, 09:31 )

...there aren't a lot of special rules to fluff up an army to make it more Orky.

Hmmm... I find this concept extremely appealing.  It's one of the things that I like about Starmada.  One of the dislikes I have for GW games in general is the tendency to have "Special Eldar Rule #42" which seems to exist apart from the core game mechanics.  If you can't reflect it in some variation of basic attributes and modifiers, then it seems to me to weaken the overall game system.  Plus, it leads to "White Dwarf Exception Syndrome", wherein we see pudgy fanboys slapping each other with Cheeto-stained fingers because someone trotted out a special rule only available in a White Dwarf issue.  "See, on the third Thursday in a month that starts with 'J', Dark Chaos Spawn Kroothulhu-Hybrids are unaffected by Shiny Marine Mentat Powers!  It says so right here!!"  Yeah.  Like that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Even thought I understand why, but I am still dissappointed about renaming all the epic stuff. It is just not easy to read, that is all. Hopefully somebody makes unoffikul list with "proper names". Like they say in Finland "Puhutaan asioista niiden oikeilla nimillä" ("speak about things with their proper names" (usually when talking about something naughty))

Yo! Finns (or anybody willing to come and play with me)! Anybody up for a game?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Nicodemus @ 06 Oct. 2008, 21:44 )

Even thought I understand why, but I am still dissappointed about renaming all the epic stuff.

I assume that he didn't want to get sued.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next