Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

World Chapionship. 2019 ORGANIZATION PAGE

Post subject: Re: World Chapionship. 2019 ORGANIZATION PAGE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:26 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Kyrt wrote:
Barbs, I know you didn't play england north or scotland but am curious if the player matchups are pretty much random, i.e. just how it happened, or if you had a particular strategy for deciding who played who? Did teams in general make tactical use of that aspect of the tournie?

Attempted tactics, yes, but not to the extent of UK south's attempts. For three rounds we chose our AMTL player as champion, dark angels for one (round 5 agreed friendly match ups with Sweden).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Each team does a blind bid of one of their players. The blind bid players cannot face each other.

Then each team chooses two of their other players to face their opponent's blind bid. The player then gets to choose one of those two options as their opponent.

After that initial set things get fairly difficult to meaningfully impact with pre-planning.

There is thus the potential for some limited control over the match ups. With this set up it's easier to avoid a bad match up than it is to engineer a good one.

E.g.: Eng-S vs Scotland opened with me and my Sisters as that way I would always be able to avoid the Biel-Tan list which...I think everyone who had an opinion on it agreed was either a 4-0 or a 5-0 to Biel Tan (barring dice, obviously).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some faction break down stuff!

Faction placement:
1 Black Legion
2 Black Legion
3 Codex Astartes
4 Adepta Sororitas
5 Vanaheim
6 Biel Tan
7 World Eaters
8 Saim-Hann
9 Feral Orks
10 Codex Astartes
11 Dark Angels
12 Gazghkull's Horde
13 Dark Angels
14 Black Legion
15 Codex Astartes
16 Squats
17 Ulthwe
18 Codex Astartes
19 Tyranids
20 Iyanden
21 Squats
22 Gazghkull's Horde
23 Steel Legion
24 Steel Legion
25 Iron Warriors
26 Biel Tan
27 Speed Freaks
28 Death Korps of Krieg
29 Gazghkull's Horde
30 Death Korps of Krieg
31 AMTL
32 Tau

By team

1 Vanaheim, Iyanden, Black Legion, Codex Astartes
2 Biel Tan, Codex Astartes, Feral Orks, Squats
3 Codex Astartes, Squats, Gazghkull's Horde, Adepta Sororitas
4 Speed Freaks, Codex Astartes, Steel Legion, Biel Tan
5 Dark Angels, Black Legion, Steel Legion, AMTL
6 Dark Angels, Death Korps of Krieg, Gazghull's Horde, World Eaters
7 Gazghkull's Horde, Ulthwe, Death Korps of Krieg, Iron Warriors
8 Saim-Hann, Black Legion, Tyranids, Tau

Some quick conclusions.

Power Armour and Rhinos are a common theme among the top placing lists.

Codex Astartes and Black Legion (or a near equivalent like Sisters) are in all 3 top placing teams.

A general trend is playing factions that are able to defend objectives well seems to trump the ability to capture objectives from the enemy. Codex Marines for example can - due to the fact thunderhawks/landing craft can contest objectives on the turn they land - deny 3 to 4 objectives to the enemy (hold the line, defend the flag, blitz, take and hold, if there's just enough space within 15cm of any of those objectives you can contest it and if there's space in the enemy half you can be unbroken in it by landing there). One marine list had 5 sets of land speeders to screen and dash and contest objectives. Feral Orks can draw with basically anyone. Vanaheim's Scouts and mobility can contest and deny objectives fantastically (Tim placed 5th overall and only scored a total of 7 objectives over 5 games but gave up 0 objectives)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Scutarii wrote:
Each team does a blind bid of one of their players. The blind bid players cannot face each other.

Then each team chooses two of their other players to face their opponent's blind bid. The player then gets to choose one of those two options as their opponent.

After that initial set things get fairly difficult to meaningfully impact with pre-planning.

There is thus the potential for some limited control over the match ups. With this set up it's easier to avoid a bad match up than it is to engineer a good one.

E.g.: Eng-S vs Scotland opened with me and my Sisters as that way I would always be able to avoid the Biel-Tan list which...I think everyone who had an opinion on it agreed was either a 4-0 or a 5-0 to Biel Tan (barring dice, obviously).

This kind of thing was basically why i spent a bit of time looking into the matchups system and what we could do to mitigate what turned out to be some pretty big issues in our team composition. Throughout the other teams there was an abundance of TK and Barrage, but few war engines. This was a bit of an issue for the Squats as they're not that keen about going into multiple shadowswords and deathstrikes, and no war opposing war engines is a bit sad for the Cyclops.

Similarly our Orks didn't want to play into that, nor into barrage heavy armies given all the skorchas. And talking of barrages, this is a bit of an issue for the sisters as well. This led to most matchups inevitably having some issues for us, forcing me to prioritise who was going to get to avoid their worst matchup. This was particularly bad for the Orks as they would often have more than one bad matchup (i.e. an opposing team with a load of TK in one list, and Barrage in another), and since mitigation at that point wasn't possible, the Orks got a bit of a rough ride overall (Sorry Chris!)

The core idea of planning was to try and garner 1-2 decent matchups and hope the less favourable ones would end in draws, giving us a good chance of winning each round. This came unstuck against Scotland, as there just weren't many good matchups, and some pretty horrible ones with Biel Tan thanks to the Warlock and Void Spinners.

Obviously for next year there might be a completely different scoring and matchup system (as is generally the case) but if this one's used again i'd suggest to anyone planning on putting a team together that they probably want to work it back from the position of picking armies that don't have similar vulnerabilities, as this can inevitably lead to some pretty rough matchups for your players. It was quite fun being able to do a bit of planning for rounds though, especially the discussion of potential matchups with the rest of the team :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I also enjoyed the pre-planning before rounds, and I think having the first 3 rounds fixed worked quite well. It certainly made organisation on the day much easier, and meant that the TO could actually play games and not just organise. We had wondered about using a system of a blind bid of the first player, followed by choice of two for the blind bid, followed by a blind bid of a second player, followed by a choice of two players. It might have been a little more strategic. But I guess we didnt want to rock too many boats given we were already doing the group stages and ryder cup scoring for groups. Still it was fun to organise and I'm glad folks seemed to enjoy things. I personally had 5 excellent games, ranging from a drubbing from Mike to a steep learning curve against Simons Eldar. Amazingly it was my first ever game against eldar. I also player 5 new players, which was great.

Looking foreward to Sweden!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really liked the split after the group stage, this way all teams still had the chance for winning a trophy/cup even after having bad luck in the group phase

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Just to say for Team England North, we didn't do much thinking about the placements and tried to give every player the best chance of winning their games.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I also liked splitting into groups for day 1 before progressing to day 2. Thought that was a good approach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6