Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic UK: Winter Warmer 2019

Post subject: Re: Epic UK: Winter Warmer 2019
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim’s Steel Legion about to begin a fantastic game against my Orks, which swung to and fro multiple times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Reedar wrote:

Facing off against Resa F with his Tau

That could not have been a fun sight for a Tau player :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's not as bad as you'd think. The Orks struggle to get cover due to all being vehicles, and most of the Tau units can absolutely shread the kults of speed. The main issue tends to be keeping the hammerheads and fusionheads alive long enough to deal with the vehicles and Stompa mob. A lot does come down to who gets to go start of turn 2 though, and how many skorchas are still alive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
It's not as bad as you'd think. The Orks struggle to get cover due to all being vehicles, and most of the Tau units can absolutely shread the kults of speed. The main issue tends to be keeping the hammerheads and fusionheads alive long enough to deal with the vehicles and Stompa mob. A lot does come down to who gets to go start of turn 2 though, and how many skorchas are still alive.

Must have been a hell of a fun game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would imagine it was an interesting one - Darren's a very experienced Ork player though, and his opponent Jake was attending his second ever Tournament going by the E-UK championship stats, which will always make it a bit of a rough one.

Tau are quite a challenging army to start with as well, as they need a higher degree of finesse than many of the core armies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:

@Pixelgeek - RichardL is pretty much on the money here.
The first turn belonged firmly to Resa F; with the Tau chipping away at my formations and the Orks really struggled to clear out the Garrisoned Tau on the halfway line.

Second turn though the Orks won the Strategy roll off and were close enough to start engaging the Tau units, which as we know isn’t their strong point.

In an attrition match up the Tau will always struggle, and despite Resa sticking to his guns and fighting a determined rear guard action the Orks were able to take a solid win.

Great fun though, could have easily have gone the other way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a great day.

Great MC job by Redar, thanks to all, especialy Duncan, Nat and Dan (yes even Dan) for great games and everyone for the atmosphere. Plus a great time over a great burger afterwards with an opportunity to meet FTW and DMT in real life finally. Hope to see you all again soon.

Lesson of the day - dont get cocky around cyclopses - they ARE that much better than shadowswords. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A January tournament….
Normally I try to give the English players a fair start before me and Steve Cole hunt them down and mock their lack of expertise, but I just didn’t feel the love after the Euros, so decided to have a pop at the championship right from the off.
Day 1. (many players didn’t realise this was a two day tournament, and got it light).
After an hours flight delay, I made it in to Bristol for my first game.
Vs Arsenal (I was using the Man Utd list)
A tad worse for the time in the airport and on my second bottle of wine, I was facing a shooting army. But I knew I had strength in the central engagement. Ended 3-1 in turn two.
Vs The Bristol University.
The second match saw me facing off against a heavy activation intense list of young drinkers.
Tabled them in turn four.
Vs The Hotel Door.
I knew this was a difficult match up to finish the day. An opponent that seemed to counter my every move. I deployed my key card first from the left, then retreated and pushed the right wing. But each time was countered. Growing late, I tried a direct push but no avail. Eventually I flipped the card and broke through. But by then we had timed out after 3 ½ hours. Draw.
This is an opponent I will see again.
Day 2. The easy day.
Was rudely awoken by Darren who was trying to put me off / remind me the tournament was on.
Game 1 (4) vs Jon.
So Jon has Shadowswords, and I am now playing Squats. My strategy is not to lose war engines… I thought this was going to hurt. But the beauty with the squats is the activations. So I spread out like a de Gea in flight (it’s a linking reference…).
This meant that my two big beasts (Cyclops and Leviathan) could take the left flank and face down 4 of the shadowswords. Whilst the airship would have to go full Hinbenberg on the right wing.
I also managed to go first, so my garrison Iron Eagles doubled and killed the much hated death strikes before they could bring the pain.
This was a shooting match, and Jon had brought his unlucky dice, activations were ‘one’, shooting was ‘one’ and when he did hit, ‘one’ for the wound. The Cyclops and Leviathian had no such failings and broke and killed the tanks giving me a free run on the left and centre. I ran up the Beserkers to keep the broken units broken and chase the central blitz. Jon ducked and weaved well, using his warhounds to force me back and cover my own blitz, and clutched on heroically. Eventually he was bleeding out, and did well to keep it 2-0 in turn four. Very much his poor dice decided it.
Game 2 vs Cheryl Cole Fernandez Dave
Cheryl had brought Tau, like the cheating ex-racist we knew her to be.
But also had a lot of hate from our previous games (no idea why, what have I done to insult her?!)
As Yoda could have warned, this leads to the dark side. The Taus came full mental at me. Three units pounded at my Iron Eagles before I had fired a shot. But my ninja jedi dice rolling ensured I only lost one unit.
With the trap well and truly sprung, the squats went looking for revenge, and the Colossus enjoyed its macro barrage for bringing pain to the soft shelled tanks. Against a heavy activation list, it was surprising how quickly he started bleeding out when the nasty shooty didn’t go to plan and once the BTS was done it became a matter of time. Dave (:)) did really well to stretch it to turn four, and a 2-0 win for the squats.
Sometime in the middle of this Duncan started plying me with alcohol and my hangover disappeared. But Tim waited till my well-painted list was in a mess and took a photo so he could comment on how shit a painter I am. – bloody Tim.
So this gave me a game three against Chris. (see earlier anti-Dan abuse in this post. I am just rising above). By which time I was about four large glasses of wine in and starting to feel in a dancing mood. Fortunately squats dance really well with Iron-Warriors.
The Cyclops here made its play for the most valuable unit in the tournament.
Turn one kills a super heavy
Turn two kills a Reaver
Turn three kills a super heavy and a terminator that assaults it.
With a 9 activation list, heavy on heavies, it was really a big ask for Chris (and I still remember losing to his Eldar three years ago and getting dogs abuse from my then team mates). He also joined the growing list of people who hate it when a Cyclops scores 7 titan killer hits.
Ended 3-1. By which time I had seen bloody Tim winning his game.
Bloody Tim.
Still a good three games, (in so far as I can remember). Darren refused to recognise my day 1 victories, and Tim won the tournament…. Even though he didn’t wait till the end – I mean is that the sort of champion you want for 2019?!

Lesson of the tournament was when I went to buy Darren a cup of tea, and the bar staff said "we dont do tea".
Everything you think you know about England, destroyed in one sentance. - Still, I am sure he liked his large Merlot....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dan 1314 wrote:
A January tournament….
Normally I try to give the English players a fair start before me and Steve Cole hunt them down

You hunted some of them as far as 3rd place in the championship once. ;-)