Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Wrath of the Tyrant 2015 - 10th October in Leicester

Post subject: Re: Wrath of the Tyrant 2015 - 10th October in Leicester
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:50 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tables set up, score sheets printed off, lunch ordered.... what am I inevitably forgetting?

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More importantly, is anyone with a spacious automobile driving back to London afterwards? No Alan means Mark, Dan, and I have lost our lift!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It might be a tight squeeze with another 3, but i might be able to help you out there :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well that would be amazing but don't worry if too tight a fit!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How do we get in?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:36 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Well, the dust has settled on WOTT II, and after a hard day's gaming, Richard "terminator" Laking's Necrons emerged victorious, with Matt "Whips'n'chains" Arnold and Steve "Leather Gimp Mask" Gullick filling the second and third places respectively with dark eldar, a complete shocker also took place with Dave "practically unbeatable" Thomas losing three games on the trot and picking up the wooden spoon for his troubles.... I expect Dave will be having a bonfire of his dice later...

Dave can console himself that his wonderful eldar army was voted players choice for best painted, with Mark "hedonism bot" Webster's fantastic emperor's children picking up the judges choice. Charles "perfect gentleman" Nurser picked up the most sporting award after Steve and Jez disqualified themselves by throwing entirely unsporting sixes in the dice-off

the complete results are as follows:

1. Richard Laking
2. Matt Arnold
3. Steve Gullick
4. Tim Hunt
5. Kev Bott
6. Dan Wilson
7. Tom Sanders
8. Simon Holyoake
9. Andy Jenkinson
10. Charles Nurser
11. Jez Lock
12. Steve Cole
13. Mark Webster
14. Mike Thomas
15. Gavin McKenzie
16. Dave Thomas

Many thanks to everyone for coming, Steve G for all his help with the scoring (and graciously letting me win), Justin from Leicester Phat Cats for helping me arrange the venue and volunteering his time to help set up and pack away, and Steve, Dan and Andy for three enjoyable games

I've got some army pictures on my phone that I'll upload over the weekend :)

Last edited by kyussinchains on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CLWC don't bother coming back

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not their finest hour :)
looking forward to seeing the photos and lists.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlos wrote:
CLWC don't bother coming back

I played Steve G and Dave with a terrible army I'd used twice before, I consider my one win a merit badge!

Game one, I made a dozy pre lunch mistake to go from a winning draw to a losing position (stayed static with a chimera unit on failing an activation rather than moving 5cm to deny tsnp). Dan my opponent didn't even notice but was very pleased when I pointed this out to him.

Game 2, well I lost game 1 but I should get an easier opponent now. No such luck Steve G with dark eldar who I'd never played before systematically took me apart with even more ease than he'd expect as my dice rebelled (with my reinforced armour supreme commander in cover getting killed by Steve's spaceship barrage in the first activation).

Game 3 well two straight losses, what's the worst that could happen, oh I'm playing Dave. Thankfully my dice came through for a crucial second turn activation and I was able to sneak a 2-0. Skitarii ap shooting is very potent against all LV armies and I was able to break down one of Dave's flanks and just about fend off the counter attack on the other.
All my opponents were great sports and my games were very, very different and enjoyable. Not sure if I'd use skitarii again in a hurry (maybe with Knights etc) as they are quite limited and don't suit my playing style so well. However, they were a great excuse to bring out all my squat toys!

Last edited by StevekCole on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Certainly as it was against Dave, you are part of a very small group of people who can lay clain to having beaten Dave T..... I'm sure he's devising fiendish plans of revenge as we speak....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:00 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

With the highest ' normal' list I take it as a moral victory.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I had three 'interesting', enjoyable and well fought games in which Kev's AMTL took revenge for his defeat in the EEC, Mark apologised for his 'unsporting' Emperors children as they took my army apart, and Tom's AMTL completely wiped out every last unit of my Marines 'with extreme prejudice'. Indeed Dave T only secured last place because Kev and I ran out of time, having a drawn game at the end of turn 3,

However, by way of consolation, I did win the "1"s competition against all three by fairly convincing margins (all three were ably assisted by my dice as usual ;) ), and I also went to a really superb choral concert given by the Cecilian singers.
For those who enjoy a bit of culture, I strongly recommend going to their next concert, which is in St Clement Danes, Strand, London next Saturday 17th October at 7.30pm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:50 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

....aaaand I found the prizes today.... in box I thought I'd checked....

Can MarkW and Orange PM me a postal address and I'll get them sent out on monday/tuesday

Attachments:
20151011_094523.jpg
20151011_094523.jpg [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 2259 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:44 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks to Kyuss for running a great event, I thought it was a nice venue so hopefully it can be used in future if cost+other issues can be sorted out.

My list was

Incubi+Incubi+Raiders
Warriors+Dracon+Raiders+portable Webway
Warriors+Dracon+Raiders
Scourge
Scourge
Mandrakes
Vessel of Pain
Vessel of Pain
Webway
Slavebringer
Voidravens
Razorwings
Torture

First game was vs Kyuss Orks and couldn't really have gone worse.
Torture barrage had 3 formations under it but refused to come on (Archon was off board), zzap managed to get an angle on a poorly placed Vessel of Pain getting 3 damage and critting it on the 1 point going past the shadowfields. Then mandrakes lost an assault vs 4 gunwagons.
I assaulted out of the webway taking out a GW formation and then the incubi assaulted out of the portable web. Unfortunately in assaulting the skorchas they lost 2 raiders and 3 incubi winning the assault but breaking.
Razorwings then failed to take out the landa which wiped out the BTS incubi.
Turn 2 Orks won SR and the supa stompa destroyed a warrior formation. I picked off the GW+Skorchas to remove Ork speed leaving not much on either side t3
Turn 3 we both dried to further whittle down activations but Kyuss managed to manoeuvre into a 2-0 win (BTS and take+hold) assisted by the slavebinger refusing to come on to contest. Well played by Simon, helped by tactical mistakes by me+treacherous dice.

Game 2
Where everything went wrong the previous game this was the opposite. Steve C had skitarii which he deployed largely behind a hill. This was where I had plotted the barrage. Breaking the robots, putting BMs on the majoris and one minoris and critting a gorgon. Pinpoint critted the sagitarii gorgon.
Scourge, webway warriors and the flyers harried the edges of the skitarrii taking the chimeras off 1 formation, destroying the sagitarii and the immobilised gorgon formation. Steve castled up and put the ordinatus on OW.
Turn 2 we both realised that the ordinatus had fixed forward arc and had been positioned so they could only fire sideways across the table and in some cases blocked each other.
The majoris severely damaged a warriors formation, the 2 VoP took out a hypaspist formation and the flyers picked stuff off. End of turn 2 I decided my position was so strong that I could risk the Incubi by marching them up too the majoris in CC range for turn 3.
Skitarii then won to go first, majoris turned and shot its whole hellfire barrage at the BTS incubi. Steve had terrible dice and didn't destroy them, in fact he only just broke them. That removed the chance of a big win so I concentrated on removing the last chimera formation and taking a 2-0 win (blitz and take+hold)

Game 3. If that game had gone well then this was ridiculous. Mike had no luck and everything went right for me, Mike had very similar Orks to Simon.
Turn 1 Torture took out half a skorcha formation and destroyed a GW formation with the barrage, Pinpoint then caused 1 point of damage on the Supa stompa. Void ravens then destroyed the supa stompa with the lance barrage. Warriors and VoP took out the other skorcha formation and the razorwings destroyed the loaded landa on the way in. Only thing that went wrong was the slavebringer refused to come on to kill the broken BTS.
Turns 2+3 were really just mopping up, by turn 3 Mike only had fighta bombers, half a skorcha formation, a broken GW and a mob in a fortress left. I then got to go first and broke the skorchas+mob leaving him only planes left. Fiinished 4-0 to me (blitz, take+hold, BTS, TSNP)

Thanks to all my opponents for fun games. regarding the list I really enjoyed using the Dark Eldar and definitely learned a lot on how to use them. Best units were probably the scourge who are so useful in objective grabbing, shooting and assault prepping and the Voidravens. Mandrakes didn't perform well but then I didn't face any spaceships or teleporters to use them against.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:53 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks for reports. What is "GW formation?" Steve?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next