Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Exeter Entrenchment 11th July - Whipton Institute, Exeter

Post subject: Re: Exeter Entrenchment 11th July - Whipton Institute, Exete
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

alansa wrote:
Just wanted to echo the others. This was a brilliant event. Big props to Tim for organising this and simply for his desire to do this and to make it something slightly different.

Word on the terrain. AMAZING. Not just the way it looks but also the way it works.
See, every table is not just thematically different, but functionally too. Usually in epic the tables are all pretty much exactly the same. The same size terrain pieces with basically the same distribution. Some, buildings, some woods, some hills. Evenly and uniformly spaced, two bits in each sixth. As the tournament scenario dictates. The differences between tables are both significant and minor at the same time. That's not a criticism, it's a good thing.

But this is different, tables are wildly different. Some are incredibly dense. Some are very open. Some with more dense clusters rather than uniform distribution. You don't know what kind of table you're going to be on. You look at the tables at the beginning and *hope* you get this one or that one, because it suits your army makeup. And that changes the meta... Not only can you not tailor your lists to be optimised against particular opponents, but now you have another variable to consider!

Well, It's interesting and different anyway, and I thought worked well. And everyone seemed to manage it without any fuss. God, we're so f**king British. Never make a fuss.

Absolutely second that!
Each table played differently and had to be counted in to ones strategy.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Definitely, each table had such a distinctive feel. Really made you play in a totally different way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And we all like a bit of variety across the gaming year :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

StevekCole wrote:
Definitely, each table had such a distinctive feel. Really made you play in a totally different way.

Echo that. I'm hoping if we do manage the Devwall local derby we can let Tim loose with his extra terrain rules ! :-) Myself and the other Cornish epic crew are busy building tables...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The good stuff.....

Thank you chaps for taking part in the tournament and so glad you enjoyed yourselves on the day. To get such a fantastic, laid back and 'crazy' group of players together in one place and play Epic Armageddon all day made it all worth the effort. Such a rush, cheers everyone :D
-------------------------------------------------------------

The not so good stuff.......

Wasn't looking forward to this, hence why I've been off the forum for a few days...
P.s Mark, Jon, Reedar and Florian have all been emailed beforehand, so they know all about this and have accepted the results and prize changes...

Gutted that I have to let you know that unfortunately, due to an "admin" error, the final results weren't as final as we thought....the Administration Grots have been shot and the rest have been lowered into a vat of boiling acid...

--------------------------------------------------------------
FINAL EXETER ENTRENCHMENT 2015 STANDINGS
--------------------------------------------------------------

Position
Player Name TOTAL
1 Jon Steel Legion 118
2 MarkW Mark Biel-Tan 114
3 MrGonzo Necrons 111
4 Reedar Ghaz Orks 110
5 RichardL Codex Marines 108
6 Stevekcole Steel Legion 108
7 Scutari Codex Marines 106
8 IJW Death Guard 104
9 Nat Steel Legion 102
10 tc63 Vanaheim 101
11 RichardD Biel-Tan 86
12 Duncan Skitarii 86
13 alansa AMTL 80
14 Blip Codex Marines 79
15 GlenS Codex Marines 78
16 Ronan Steel Legion 77
17 MichaelO Ulani 68
18 Ginger Biel-Tan 64

This totally changes the results and standings for the day. First and foremost, the boxed games, buildings, miniatures handed out will all stay the same - except for the following changes. The main change is that Jon will now receive the whole $85 Onslaught miniatures voucher and Florian will get Reedar's DZC rulebook and miniature.

The revised prizes are below:

1st Prize = JON
Now gets $85 Voucher Onslaught Miniatures voucher
DZC Cityscape & Rulebook (keeps these)
DRM blister (keeps this blister).

2nd prize = MARKW
DZC 2 player box set & blister. Mark Keeps these as presented on the day
DRM £25 army. Keeps this army
Looses out on $25 Onslaught voucher (has not yet been issued)

3rd Prize = MR GONZO
DZC Rulebook (Reedar will post this)
DRM blister Planes (Reedar will post this)
Looses out on $10 onslaught voucher (has not yet been issued)

There's no way I would ever take the prizes already handed out on the day as thats just plain wrong! The best way was to come to a beneficial compromise. Jon, Mark, Reedar and Mr Gonzo are all cool with this.

Cheers :-[
BB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No problem at all BB. With 27 results being entered on the day, that ONE got taken down wrong is hardly unexpected mate. That it effects this at the business end of the table is just sods law!!! :D

So, in 2014 MrGonzo makes me kill most of my own army driving through dangerous terrain leaving my own deployment zone...

In 2015 MrGonzo ends up making me hand over my prizes...

I can hardly wait to see what he does to me in 2016! Hand over my first born child maybe?!

It doesn't detract from a great days gaming, across gorgeous terrain, with a fantastic group of gamers. Great effort putting it on and I'm already looking forward to next year :)

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It was probably my fault - i suspect the result in question was Mark and Florian's draw, which had originally looked like a win to Mark - i should have said nothing to Tim until it was all over!

I think it's a testament to the thoroughly decent chaps on the Epic scene that something like that can be handled in a chilled and reasonable manner though :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tim, really feel for you. Horrible when you realise you've made a mistake but totally echo everyone on the forum that first and foremost it was a brilliant, brilliant tournament and second these things totally happen (see the number of edits I've made to the clwc league thread for proof). As Richard says it's great that people are cool about it. Though obviously the changed results mean that now all steel legion lists will consist entirely of shadowswords! It's the proven way to win. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interestingly it's a counter to itself though so if it becomes a popular list then it'll probably blow itself into mid-table :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Funnily enough I actually emailed Florian the day after the event to offer to share prizes as I thought the scores looked a bit odd? (Why was he 9 places below me with similar results?)

Looks like almost the same outcome occurred with the splitting up so all good. To reiterate what the others said fantastic tourney and well worth making the trip from London.

Congrats to Jon - Guess it had to be the Shadowswords that won it after all the hype, eh?

Looking fwd to next year ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wait, that means I managed a draw against the overall winner?

*Does happy dance.*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yay, 2 CLWC members in the top 3!!!
Bummer that Mark's been downgraded together with other players though but big props to Jon for actually winning the whole thing.
Beware the dawn of the age of WE Guard lists :D

@Reedar: Your soul, mate. Just your soul. >:D

TO handled the whole thing perfectly fine and professional, just as the whole event.
Mistakes happen and it is all about fixing them smoothly.

I am very much looking forward to the next outing of the Children of Cthulhu.

Last edited by MrGonzo on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm chuffed to have won, although I think I lucked out getting to fight the Ulani (ideal army for me to face) followed by getting the lava board. I suspect if I'd had the jungle/agri board it might have been a very different result!

Big props to my opponents - Ian with his disruption barrages. I would have hated to face that with something non fearless. As it was I came out of that with half my army broken. Mike who the dice hated, failed crucial activations everywhere. You have however re-inspired me to continue painting my own ulani force. Would have liked to see the executioners in action (they of course failed to activate). Lastly horatio for facing 11 shadow swords on the most open board there was. Very bold moves to capture my blitz and foil my attempts to capture his, forcing the game into turn 4.

Some lovely looking armies there too - all told a great event.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Micheal and I were saying on the way up on the day that Jon's list was his nightmare matchup ! On the other-hand my terminators were busy sharpening their lightning claws ! ;-)

Shame to hear Micheal's activation rolls letting him down as they always do. All I can say is never play him at blitzkrieg commander (where double 1s for activation give you an extra free action)! He Tables me every time!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What a f***king balls-up. Everyone should be outraged and not only refuse to go to next year's EE, but to blockade it too with a picket line and placards.
I'll be writing to Epic UK head quarters to see what 'lessons have been learned'

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next