Login |  Register |  FAQ

EEC results

Post subject: Re: EEC results
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Having faced a similar situation in the past, what really helped was having a couple of tournament organisers on hand who quickly spotted the tension and came over to deflect the situation with a bit of humour. We can all get a bit wrapped up in a game sometimes, but it's good having someone neutral on hand to remind us it's all toy soldiers at the end of the day ! :-)

BnE : A year to go. we'd better get some practice in! :-)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good to read about the tournament and see the pictures of the armies :) Getting the different countries to play is an excellent idea. I'm not surprised to see the UK come out on top considering there are so many players and tournaments there, but I'm pleased to see it's not totally one sided.

Wow, a winning SM list with 3 formations of Whirlwinds! I don't think I've ever seen anyone take more than 1 formation so had assumed it wouldn't work well. I might have to try out a similar army myself sometime.

I'll still be down under next year and who knows after that, but I would like to attend one eventually if feasible and would be up for joining a Celtic team.

Monkeyboy wrote:
@ringo wrote:
Monkeyboy wrote:
bertnernie wrote:
that Krieg list is the toughest I have seen in Epic - it is brutal.

What makes it so good?
There is one choice in particular that I believe is waaaaay under-costed. There is also another unit that removes many of the threats that the under-costed unit has. I am sure there will be a 'postmortem' afterwards discussing how the different lists did and how to improve them and/or take them on.

I'm guessing Infantry Companies in Gorgons are being referred to?

A similar Gorgon heavy army has done very well in Oz too. Perhaps they are too good at the moment? (I notice the Net-EA Gorgons are 25 points cheaper a pair). I play Krieg myself and the core company seems fine considering their lack of guns, but perhaps Gorgons might be fairer costed at more like 175-200 for a pair? (still cheap for 6DC of 4+ Reinforced).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As a regular opponent of marines, I think Whirlwinds are a great choice. The disruptive effect on the enemy is very valuable, causing problems with staying hidden & in cover, and they also make it easier to concentrate assault power on only a part of small formations, which is perfect for marines' small formations that often have a hard time winning without very careful coordination of support.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's current discussion on them on for the E-UK list, and will probably result in them losing Warhounds. Makes sense from a fluff point of view given they're supposed to be a siege list, and also brings them into balance with the other IG Sublists - none of which have hounds in them. They for me are what really pushes the list into 'excellent' territory, as they are capable of hunting down anything that might worry the gorgons pretty effectively, and just as big, give the player 2 guaranteed activations - something that any guard player will tell you is a big deal! I think it will also open up some more interesting lists, as i think they tend to look pretty samey at the moment.

On the NetEA front, the Deathstrike Missile Silo additionally gives them the ability to take down things like pesky shadowswords with no real risk, and also makes for a great blitz guard. Personally i'd take that from the list entirely, as i think it's too good. Gorgons should be at least 150pts for a pair rather than 125, and i'm not sure they should really have the option for heavy bolters rather than mortars, as this just increases their assault output even further, and if it was kept, that should cost rather than being free imo. Finally, the really dirty thing we noticed reading the list later was that there's a unit that can take gorgons that also has scout. You really don't want a scouting unit with a Gorgon in the list, trust me!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Big congratulations for team UK claiming the victory and also props to the other 3 teams!

What i can see/read so far sounds like a great event and a founding stone for future EC events! Big props to Brumbaer for all the blood, sweat and tears put into organising the event. Well done! :)

RichardL wrote:
There's current discussion on them on for the E-UK list, and will probably result in them losing Warhounds. Makes sense from a fluff point of view given they're supposed to be a siege list, and also brings them into balance with the other IG Sublists - none of which have hounds in them. They for me are what really pushes the list into 'excellent' territory, as they are capable of hunting down anything that might worry the gorgons pretty effectively, and just as big, give the player 2 guaranteed activations - something that any guard player will tell you is a big deal! I think it will also open up some more interesting lists, as i think they tend to look pretty samey at the moment.

On the NetEA front, the Deathstrike Missile Silo additionally gives them the ability to take down things like pesky shadowswords with no real risk, and also makes for a great blitz guard. Personally i'd take that from the list entirely, as i think it's too good. Gorgons should be at least 150pts for a pair rather than 125, and i'm not sure they should really have the option for heavy bolters rather than mortars, as this just increases their assault output even further, and if it was kept, that should cost rather than being free imo. Finally, the really dirty thing we noticed reading the list later was that there's a unit that can take gorgons that also has scout. You really don't want a scouting unit with a Gorgon in the list, trust me!

This makes my little AT-AT's cry! :'(

I second that the NetEA list for Krieg is undercosted though. On the other hand, still waiting for more players to win events with them, beside one of the top generals. ;)

Last edited by MrGonzo on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave T managed 2nd place with them last year in an event, although tbh as the rightful owner of 'UK's best Epic player' that's hardly a great surprise...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
Dave T managed 2nd place with them last year in an event, although tbh as the rightful owner of 'UK's best Epic player' that's hardly a great surprise...

Yeah, were was he this weekend?

Not that you needed him!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Couldn't make it sadly - you got it easy this year, only one winner of the E-UK championship (Steve) was in the team!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:

Did not know that. Don't want to start a flame war about who's king right now, haha

Anyway, also big congratulations to you Richard for making first place (the team aspect left aside). Kinda makes you Europe's best player, doesn't it?! ;D

Last edited by MrGonzo on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd argue not - perhaps if it had been a full 6 game individual swiss tournament with all the very best players in europe in attendance (take into consideration that there were no french, austrians, etc for starters at the event!), but as it wasn't i don't think that consideration would be fair. Besides, my ego doesn't need any more stoking thank you :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MrGonzo wrote:
RichardL wrote:

Did no know that. Don't want to start a flame war about who's king right now, haha

Anyway, also big congratulations to you Richard for making first place (the team aspect left aside). Kinda makes you Europe's best player, doesn't it?! ;D

not to turn this into a DKoK thread but there's a page: http://epic-uk.co.uk/ukepicachampionship/racevrace.php that tells you how all the races are doing in EUK gigs.
Doesn't help you with who played what, something that may possibly aid analysis, especially with the smaller data sets. Something meph could sort out I'm sure if he felt so inclined.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I also played Brumbaer over the weekend, and I found him a perfectly pleasant opponent. We even had a rules disagreement that was quickly and amicably resolved (something to do with allocating firefight attacks if I remember right). I can see how his real time dice commentary could be grating but I didn't find it any more than an ongoing discussion about good/bad rolls.

We all have our own little habits when concentrating on a tournament type game, and I've played against many people whose habits could be considered variously smarmy, threatening or condescending, but none of them intend to offend at all and would be mortified if they thought they were.

I've also played against a few people who are actively annoying or otherwise unpleasant; Brumbaer isn't one of those people.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

alansa wrote:
not to turn this into a DKoK thread but there's a page: http://epic-uk.co.uk/ukepicachampionship/racevrace.php that tells you how all the races are doing in EUK gigs.
Doesn't help you with who played what, something that may possibly aid analysis, especially with the smaller data sets. Something meph could sort out I'm sure if he felt so inclined.

Not doing that for the race v race page! But If you go to army list by player, and then select the list your want to see, say Dave Thomas at TTWNN you can see the lists played against and whether they won or lost.

Enjoy.

http://epic-uk.co.uk/ukepicachampionshi ... =66&aid=25

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MikeT wrote:
I also played Brumbaer over the weekend, and I found him a perfectly pleasant opponent. We even had a rules disagreement that was quickly and amicably resolved (something to do with allocating firefight attacks if I remember right). I can see how his real time dice commentary could be grating but I didn't find it any more than an ongoing discussion about good/bad rolls.

We all have our own little habits when concentrating on a tournament type game, and I've played against many people whose habits could be considered variously smarmy, threatening or condescending, but none of them intend to offend at all and would be mortified if they thought they were.

I've also played against a few people who are actively annoying or otherwise unpleasant; Brumbaer isn't one of those people.

Odd, I've never encountered any epic tournament player who I've found unpleasant. Nor bothersome enough to, for example, want to deduct sportsmanship points. Don't think I've been lucky in that regard either. A testament to the amazing sportsmanship of the epic scene!

Anyway, sounds like an amazing event. And those paint jobs - WOW!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:35 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Venue
Basement of the Siemens HQ though it had windows so was pretty nice, no complaints at all when you compare it to some other venues (looking at you NWGC). Might get quite hot in the summer though. Any club would love to have it as their venue.

Tables
Tables were all good and with plenty of space to move around them. Terrain was very nice, including some of Brumbaers 3D printed stuff, but a little sparse compared to what we are used to.

Organisation
No complaints at all, the team running it couldn't have done any more and were very nice. Refs made common sense calls and were available throughout. Food was basic but cheap and perfectly acceptable (rolls, hot dogs, cake etc). Also some nice templates and stuff available from Two Wolves. Only possible complaint was it seemed like we had long gaps between games - Saturday went from 9.30-8, but again that just compared to the timings in the UK

Saturday night
Everybody (I think)went out for an Italian meal in Berlin which was good, really great to meet so many new Epic players and put faces to names. Particular thanks to the Berlin club member who showed us how to use the U-Bahn (the really tall guy whose name I don't think I ever got). The UK team were knackered from crushing our opponents (and Richards insomnia) so went to bed early so I don't know wait the others did afterwards.

Overall I really enjoyed the event and would like to thank all the other participants and particularly the organiser who planned and ran the event, of course everybody thinks their meta, terrain, scoring are the best but that shouldn't detract from a great event which I hope will be the first of many.

Batreps to follow