Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Britcon 2009

Post subject: Britcon 2009
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i did lose the warlock twice but even in those two games it performed well and with out it i would have lost(both were loseing draws) in the game i did lose against joe it was least affective as joe pulled me from one side of the table to the other it was in that game it only got to shot and did not lend any supporting fire. and i think joe just put blast a marker on it every turn

in the other games the warlock did not even come close to death.

for me the warlock is a 4000 point must
but i cant seem to find room in 3000

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Using a Marine army I just see a Titan and consider the BTS lost, trying to avoid it as much as possible.
In most of my games the Titans where expensive objective holders, but they definitely held those objectives and since all that matters is objectives, they did their jobs.

I am tempted by a Warlord titan next Britcon (in Marines or Guard armies), just so I can sit between two objectives looking smug too,  :vD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Of the three games I played, the Ravager only came close to dying (taking 4 damage points) in the game against ginger's Eldar. I don't think either of my other opponents even shot at it (being marines and black legion respectively), I wasn't surprised really, and I'm sure it would have been a different story against Guard or Zzap gun heavy Orks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Chroma @ 18 Aug. 2009, 13:15 )

Quote: (Mephiston @ 18 Aug. 2009, 13:08 )

A) Time, as it really requires quite carefull planning and positioning Ginger never got to the end of most games, with them running out of time at the end of 3 turns without any clear winner.

Hmmm... that an interesting meta-effect for timed Tournament play; did Ginger take it in to consideration at all while building the army?  Could he have been a little more "fast and loose" with such and army and still achieved a good effect?

I assume the "quite carefull planning and positioning" is in setting up clips and such, though I've found Jetbikes to be effective "direct" assault units, essentially flying Marines if you don't use the armour reduction suggestion.

Well 3.5 hours is about right IMHO for the games. My strategy was to out-activate opponents allowing 3-5 formations to be positioned for a turn #2 assault irrespective of whether I won the strategy roll or not. I also decided to flank two bike formations around each Guardian formation allowing the Guardians to stay inside their Wave Serpents, safer from most shooting and virtually impervious from assault, while allowing several big combined assaults (or their threat).

However, since other armies were around 13 activations we had to play reasonably fast to get through the 60-70 activations average over each game, or around 3 minutes per activation. Obviously some of the assaults took rather longer because of all the dice throwing - and I generally managed to get at least 2-4 per game.

I was not really trying to set up clipping assaults as such (unless needed) but rather I was trying to use rolling assaults to destroy enemy formations wholesale in turn #2, retaining the activation advantage to capture and control objectives in turn #3. However this strategy needs quite a lot of forethought and planning to set up these multiple assaults - so you are right that it is an interesting meta-effect of timed tournament play. And the army can prove delicate, needing to be handled with some care, so you cannot really play 'fast-and-loose'.

On the bikes, I had a Vyper in each formation to lay preparation BMs and break small formations through repeated 'double-shoot' manoeuvers. As such IMO the additional LV made up for the 'flying marine' effect.

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It sounds like another successful and highly enjoyable tournament.

Congratulations to Joe,Mark P and Kev for finishing as the top 3  :agree: .

@ Glyn G. did you enjoy your first tournament, noticed your hoping to go to more events soon so hopefully you had a great time  :agree: .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really enjoyed the experience and all the games thanks Dave, the tournament goers seem a friendly bunch and it reinforced to me how great a game epic is :smile:

All my opponents were helpful and understanding with me being a bit inexperienced at playing and occasionally slow deciding what to do. I was pleased to come in mid-table, better than I'd expected, and I definitely learnt a lot :)

Thanks again go to both Rug and Man of Kent for lending me models to be able to play! Hopefully by next year I'll have found time to paint up an army of my own to use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13