Login |  Register |  FAQ

Kabal of Pain Transport options

Post subject: Re: Kabal of Pain Transport options
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I understand that. Marines have a similar thing.

For example the Blood Angels have the Storm Raven that can carry a single Dreadnought and 2 infantry units, and can be taken as a formation similar to how predators are taken, or as a transport option, which has a points cost like a razorback. In a similar manner Space Marines could purchase a Thunderhawk gunship separately, not as a dedicated transport, and mount a Devastator squad with 2 upgraded Dreadnoughts. You could not purchase a tactical squad and and 2 dreadnoughts as they take up more room than the Thunderhawk has the capacity for.

If I could not take units that can not fit into transports as upgrades and also take the free raider transports, then wyches could not take Reaver jetbikes which can keep up easily with the raiders, and Kalabite Syndicates could not take ravagers if they are mounted in raiders, even though the ravager is also a 35cm moving LV skimmer.

I think the wording of the rule is accidentally written so its meaning can be confused. I believe it is suppose to be exactly like that of other armies where you need to take exactly the amount of transports to carry the units that get the "plus transport" free, but not have any spaces left over where possible, rather than where it constricts you to foot slog even though the transports are technically paid for, or drop useful units that can increase the effectiveness of a formation, and even give it more survivability against breaking.

If your interpretation is supposed to be how it is then some of the upgrades options are silly. Why add Reaver jetbikes to a wyches formation, if the wyches have to lose the benefit of the raiders they get free. Why add the Ravager upgrade to a Kabal Syndicate when you have to drop the transports, foot slog and lose the 4+ save of the raider just to get the added fire power of the ravager? This is why I think I am correct.

I think the rule only really applies to units which get the "plus transport". This would allow units like the Reavers, Scourges, Talos, and Perditors to go on foot or move ate high speed along side the raiders. In some cases it will slow the raiders down, but the infantry will then still get the 4+ save for the LV.

Thus why I wanted the rule clarified and perhaps the new list developer could correct the rule to make it more logical.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok perhaps we can approach this another way.

Given that there is a specific rule that is apparently intended to work differently from the standard rules, what do you think these additional conditions are, or alternatively what situations are they intended to prohibit?

I understand your very reasonable point that we possibly could just rely on the existing rules. However I suspect that when the list was originally created, it was based on the Eldar format, but found that presenting a choice between transport OR upgrades didn't quite achieve what was desired.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is the exact wording in Quotes cut and pasted from the DE transport option riules

"SPECIAL RULE
Dark Eldar Transport
Any Dark Eldar formation that includes “plus transport”
may choose from the Dark Eldar Transport section. You
may only take as many transport units as are required to
carry the entire formation, including upgrades, with no
extra spaces if possible. You may select no transport at all
if desired.
The Slavebringer is an independent war engine that must
be assigned to a specific Dark Eldar formation during army
creation."

To me this refers to the entire formation and upgrades that gets the "plus transport" included in their description only, and not those that can not be transported in raiders. To not read it this way would force wyches on go on foot if they took reaver jetbikes, force Kabal Koteries and Syndicates to walk on foot if they took Scourges or Ravagers as an upgrade. That would be illogical. so why include them as upgrades?

I have asked the current Dark Eldar Developer/administrator to make a decision on this. Hopefully he will clarify the paragraph, and in his rewrite of the rules/army list and make a decision on the current rules. Hopefully they will then be less susceptible to misinterpretation and what was called in the 40k universe at one time as rules lawyering, where the intent of the rule was lost to misinterpretation and then that rule interpretation used to either cripple an army or abuse the rule incorrectly.

I can see how you may have misunderstood the rule, and you should be able to see how I think it only refers to the units that have the "plus transport" in their description.