Login |  Register |  FAQ

Leviathan - Imperialis - Fortress Stats

Post subject: Re: Leviathan - Imperialis - Fortress Stats
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Yes CC5+ will suffice.

But i really think the Leviathan should have Supreme Commander and be a formation of its own.
By fluff it is the command node of an Imperial Guard Regiment.
The transport capacity is only there to house some bodyguards.
The Doomsday Cannon is its main armament and the secondary weapons are only used if something is very wrong.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BlackLegion wrote:
Yes CC5+ will suffice.

But i really think the Leviathan should have Supreme Commander and be a formation of its own.
By fluff it is the command node of an Imperial Guard Regiment.
The transport capacity is only there to house some bodyguards.
The Doomsday Cannon is its main armament and the secondary weapons are only used if something is very wrong.

I agree with BL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
I'd certainly like to include the fighting platform for at least the Cadians for thematic reasons, but that can be dealt with as a pattern issue. I'd be perfectly willing to standardize the rest of the stats.

The original Leviathan model has a fighting platform though? Two, one inside the other infact. I reckon it’s best to aim for one set of stats for it, I can’t really see any much need/call for variants.

I agree it should have fire arcs for the Lascannons and Doomsday Cannon and I also think 5+CC and Supreme Commander is the way to go – it makes taking it instead of a normal RegHQ a dilemma, as it’s a good unit, but harder to hide and vulnerable to Deathstrike Missiles and other multi-damage TK.

I reckon it should have a DC of at least 5 and very probably 6 myself as the old model was clearly massively underscaled to how it was actually meant to be. The Leviathan shares the exact same gothic windows that are on the original Thunderhawk/brick model – compare one of them with a current FW Thunderhawk and see how much bigger it has become now it’s properly scaled, then imagine increasing the Leviathan by a similar proportion.

In SM/TL it could carry as many as 31 stands, plus transport vehicles for them! I could see that going down some maybe but I do think it should be able to carry around 20 infantry stands and 10 vehicles. Anything less isn’t really doing the background/unit justice IMO. Even if a certain proxy is designed overly small, due to understandable constraints, I still think the stats should remain true to the background and true size the unit should be.

This makes me want to convert a truescale Leviathan at some point, one a good twice the size in every dimension from the current one :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
WHere was the Leviathan introduced? I'm interested to see some of the early fluff if possible. It's one of those vehicles that everyone knows about, but has no recent fluff, so no one (I'm talking about me here) really knows about it.

It has an A4 page of background and rules from the Space Marine version of the rules. If you'd like me to email you a photo of the page PM me your email.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
reckon it should have a DC of at least 5 and very probably 6 myself as the old model was clearly massively underscaled to how it was actually meant to be.

You may actually want more than this if it does not have Void Shields. Also the critical will be important, otherwise it will not be worth the risk vs the cost. I had this issue when developing stats for the Chaos Squat War Engines - still not sure if we have them right.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

DC4 and the smaller current transport capacity is fine; The old one may have meant to have been ridiculously huge, but honestly its capacity was just silly. You'd need something about the size of a 40k rhino to carry what it was supposed to carry.

There's nothing wrong with toning it down to usable levels, much like has been done with the imperator etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
WHere was the Leviathan introduced? I'm interested to see some of the early fluff if possible. It's one of those vehicles that everyone knows about, but has no recent fluff, so no one (I'm talking about me here) really knows about it.

It has an A4 page of background and rules from the Space Marine version of the rules. If you'd like me to email you a photo of the page PM me your email.

Could I get that too please Glyn?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would suggest a transport capacity of 20 so lists with larger formations can use it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What model do you use for the Leviathan? Is this Kingdom of Britannia model from Dystopian Wars, the Sovereign Class Land Ship, sjuitable?

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/galleries/dystopian-wars-gallery/page/3#