Login |  Register |  FAQ

Centaur Force List

Post subject: Centaur Force List
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:39 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

First post is now updated to give the correct link. Obviously, I knew where the file was... I was just checking that you guys knew...  :vo

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking good! I like the overall feel of the list, although it is kinda hard to consider properly with no points values.
Problems:
1) The 3+ RA on the heavy support - feels a bit excessive. Does anything else in E:A get that?
2) The absorption fields sound cool, but the mechanics seem too fiddly if you have more than a few tanks with them on.

Things I really liked:
1) Absorption field. I don't like the fiddlyness, but I hope there's a way to make it easier to use without abstracting it too much, because it's a cool idea. :)
2) Behemoths: Titans with more DC and more, smaller guns. Kinda like a leviathan without the main gun (I miss Leviathans). Imagine getting one of those guys to support a firefight!
3) Gunships: Fast, short-medium range, and disrupt. Lotsa fun.

Oh, good on you for making this!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After a bit more thought, I don't think the absorption field would be that big a problem if there aren't too many units which have it. It shouldn't be a problem to make a set of 6cm radius clear templates for placing on top of the tanks.

Maybe Kleomenes' suggestion (formation gets 1 void shield per tank) could be used for the lighter tanks though, to keep the numbers of absorption fields on the board down.

Alternatively, perhaps the field could apply only to the host formation for the smaller tanks. (Maybe in this case, the formation could block line of fire, like a war engine)

Don't take my comments too seriously - I'm thinking out loud as much as anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It may make it too simple but you could say that as long as a formation has one unsuppressed vehicle with an absorption field then the formation gets the invulnerable save. That way it becomes an advantage to take 2 in a formation if you want to guarantee the save. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (old_gamer @ 29 Oct. 2008, 22:57 )

Problems:
1) The 3+ RA on the heavy support - feels a bit excessive. Does anything else in E:A get that?
2) The absorption fields sound cool, but the mechanics seem too fiddly if you have more than a few tanks with them on.

3+ RA AND the 5+ IS from the absorption field seems way too tough for any EA unit IMO.  Thats an average of 13.5 AT HITS required to kill just one tank.  They are also super-fast skimmers!

The idea is great, a wonderful way to incorporate new armies/minis to the game.  But as it stands few people would enjoy playing against these guys.

I know nothing of the background but off the top of my head I would suggest the following changes to get things closer to being playable (for both sides).

Heavy Support AR 4+ RA, Speed 15cm (if they are big enough perhaps up these to WE DC3)
Heavy Tanks AR 4+, Speed 20cm
Medium Tanks AR 5+, Speed 25cm
Light Tanks AR 6+, Speed 30cm

The Defence Behemoth is OTT in a fire support roll (15 3+FF!!).  Either the DC needs to come down, or the FF value reduced to 5+ or so.  I would also consider consolidating the weapons in different arcs into combined, but slightly reduced, all round fire.  This would make the unit easier to use.
e.g. 2x FxF Twin Heavy Cutters
    3x Heavy Gun
    4x Medium Gun
    10x Light Gun
I would recommend similar changes to the Homestead Behemoth.

It would be nice if the absorption field was somewhat dependant on the chasis (one assumes a larger chasis could support a more powerful power generator etc).  Perhaps it can be reworded as Absorption Field +X, where the big vehicles have AF 5+, while the smaller ones have AF 6+.  Or perhaps you could make the size vary, I would recommend making the small vehicles use a field the size of the small barrage template (use something everyone already has) and the really big defence vehicle could use the orbital barrage template.  Either way I would also consider Mephistons suggestion that BMs/suppression/something have an effect on the shielding.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm... those centaurs do look kinda 'niddy.