Login |  Register |  FAQ

SoB/PDF vs Daemonic/Cultists (Khorne)

Post subject: SoB/PDF vs Daemonic/Cultists (Khorne)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to the beginnings of the NetEpic Campaign
..............................To The Death..............................

The Sisters of the Argent Shroud and PDF elements have mercilessly crushed an uprising of Chaos Cultists of Khorne. They have pursued and cornered the Cultist into a narrow valley with only one exit that the Imperials control. The Cultist have turned at bay and are prepared to make their last stand among the fallen stones of a long dead race.

Rules
Assault Rules - The Cultists start dug in (+1 Armour save)and hidden (May not target until revealed) while the Imperials are set up first and suffer a -2 to their initiative for the first turn and a -1 the second turn. The Cultist gain a +1 morale until the Imperials gain more VP than the Cultists.

VP conditions will change during the battle but for now the Cultists gain double VP for breaking Imperial units while the Imperials gain VP normally and a one off bonus payment each for controlling the only objectives on the board before the 4th Turn. The objectives are two warp stones - vaguely egg shaped rocks that are standing upright. Until the Imperial capture them they are both worth 25Vp to the Cultists. (This helps them to retain that +1 Morale unless the attacker really works for it.)

At the End of the 3rd Turn the Cultists Patron (Angron) will arrive. Thereafter Khorne Greater Daemons and their Daemonic or Daemon possessed minions will spill into reality from the warp, randomly.

The numbers are fairly loose but we figured the total for Imperial units to be near 10,000 points while the Chaos Cultists number 5,000 points. The Daemonic Horde consists of every Khorne Daemon/Daemon Engine model that I had ready assembled.

Oh, and anything quoted with unit stats in the quote box like this, is our groups House Rules or Stats and so unofficial... but still jolly good fun.

Enough of the boring bits...

The Sisters of the Argent Shroud and the local PDF await the signal to commence the attack.

The Cultist of Khorne lurk hidden at the end of the valley with only the auspex scanners showing their rough location.

The Daemonic Horde assemble at the tear in reality their Cultists minions are about to open. (Who would have thought the Immaterium looked like my windowsill?..)

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 1

John won the Initiative and declined to move any of his dug in units.
The Imperials singing their battle hymns and reciting from the Litanies of Faith advance toward the enemy positions.

The Novitiates having infiltrated the battlefield take up position in a large rocky outcrop while Chimeras disgorge Inquisitorial Stormtroopers into the treeline below.
The entire Imperial line deploys while the Artillery waits for the first enemy targets.

The enemy centre is revealed. Veteran Chaos Space Marines of the World Eaters Chapter prepare to fire. The other Cultist units identified are a Warband of Big Mutants, a pack of Mutated War Dogs, a battery of Thudd Guns and the Demagogue himself with his mutant retinue. The Cultists target Co-ordinates are hurriedly passed to a waiting Earthshaker battery.

Big Mutants (Ogryn Proxy)
10cm, 5+ save, +4 Caf, Heavy Stubber (50cm x2 5+ -0TSM) Detonation Collars - Re-roll morale at cost of one stand from unit.
Mutant War Dogs (Plastic Hellhound proxy)
20cm, 6+ save, +2 Caf, Teeth (- - - -) Fear - units engaged and pinned in close combat must make morale check or suffer -2 Caf for that turn only.
Khorne Cultist Demagogue (Chaos Champion stand)
15cm, 4+fixed, +6 Caf, Daemon Weapons (25cm x1 4+ -2TSM) HQ, Awe  +1 Morale LOS, Combat Leader +1 Caf 10cm, Immune to Ethereal, Elite

Still more to come.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking good.......

(How'd you get all those Immolators done?)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry it's taking so long, bloody life priorities.

Immolators?.. I only have three. The grey Rhinos with turret are PDF Sabres (Rhino with Ork battlewagon turret)and the Silver things (Ork bonebreaka chassis with whirlwind turret)with missile turrets are Exorcists.
It's all in my SoB post Mr Z  :p  if you want to know what all these units are and how to make them. Practically took just over three weeks for the entire SoB and some PDF units shown here. (Warning pompous boast alert!)  :tongue:
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/forums/ ... =7;t=13345

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

An impressive army display Mr Warhead, lets hope it performs just as well and crushes the Emperors enemies.
Some good ideas for a campaign game too, have to keep those in mind.
Looking forward to lots more pretty pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking good. Go ahead and crush them enemies!  :whistle:

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank Mr J  :)) I have an update on my SoB site that may be of interest to those dressing their SoB armies.
Cheers Erik, these no good heretic tentacle/scale/multi limbed freaks are in for a right sorting out...

Having lost most of their heavier equipment in previous battles the Cultist open fire with their few remaining light artillery peaces. Three batteries of Thudd Guns try to do as much damage as they can but only slight damage is caused.

A PDF Artillery Company and a battery of Cardinals, Deacons and the Leviathan Cathedral target the Cultists centre. Trees, rocks, Mutants and Veteran Marines are ripped apart in the relentless barrage. By the end of the shooting the Cultist Thudd Gun Battery is broken and the World Eater Veterans are wiped out, but not before they got a shot passed the Battlehammer's armour leaving it immobilised - (+1 to be hit with ranged attacks and Caf totalled is halved in Close combat).

Adeptus Sororitas Deacon Sanctified Heavy Mortar (Bombard Battery)
10cm, 5+ save, +0 Caf, Damnation Mortar (100cm   6cm Temp     2-10BP   -2TSM, Artillery, 6cm Temp, Daemon Slayer (Physical Psychic attack), PD1

Battlehammer Superheavy Assault Gun (E40K Shadowsword)
10cm, 1+ save, +6 Caf, Quake Cannon (100cm x1/6cm Temp, 3+ -3*)
Lascannons   (75cm   x2   5+   -2**)
Superheavy, *Ignore cover, 6cm Temp if hit and Destroys buildings, **Turrets, Damage table, Independent, PD6

The Hereticus Lord Inquisitor looks on as the Imperial force advances on the Cultist positions. (See if you can spot him...where's Waldo?)

So far only a few Sisters, Stormtroopers and a PDF Sabre has fallen to the enemy fire.
John's Cultists however took a whole armies fire and although they were savagely treated they do not break. Mostly due to the Demagogue in their midst.

The End Phase of Turn one sees the Cultists depleted but with plenty more Hidden units to be revealed. The VP are quickly calculated (I even managed mine in my head). Due to the Cultists still possessing the two Warp Stone Objectives they gain 25VP for each one. This makes the scores...

Cultists: 50VPfor the Objectives alone.Imperials: 3VP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 2

All units on Holy Rage retain the ability having passed their Morale checks. While placing orders John reveals some of his units. It was obvious I would be facing Mutants at some point but it was still a shock to see sixty units lined up as they were...

Two entire warbands of Mutant Cultists (Beastmen) rise from the dead ground before the advancing Imperials. Snarling and baying, thumping shields with crude hand weapons they prepair to charge. (Game of Zulu anyone?! Hope it's Rorks Drift and not Isilwander...Gulp!)

The Imperials ready themselves to receive the inevitable charge. If they have any chance of seazing the Warp Stones they must break these savages.
I don't know if anyone has spotted it yet but the Cultists are on a sloping rise forcing the Imperials to climb uphill. (Both table ends can be adjusted this way) This provides a variation to LOS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In a rush the Mutants charge the approaching Sisters to find that only a few can reach their hated enemies before the Imperials are able to fire.

As the Mutant charge vainly tries to press home the Penitent Engines burst from cover and assault the Chaos held defensive centre. It's a bold move that reveals even more mutants lying in wait...

Totally surprised by the unexpected move the hidden mutants are exposed and caught off guard and must remain on First Fire orders until next turn.

A monstrous wall of fire guns down many of the charging Chaos Mutants before they can reach their targets. Two Penitent Engines fall in savage close combat while the Penitent in the rocks is shot down after ripping apart its opponent.
The Immolators cleanse the area of heretic filth leaving very few remaining while the Purifier Dreadnoughts attempt to barbeque a Mutant War Dog... but fail!

The chatter of small arms fire pauses as the dust settles to reveal a mostly cleared line of advance. The Sisters reload as they close in, singing their battle hymns with renewed vigour.

Chaos Casualties... Going to need a bigger box.

Imperial Casualties

Another turn down and still no nearer to capturing those all important Objectives. Now the support elements are in place the Sisters are ready to persecute the heretics and achieve their goals. John may have lost heavily this turn but he bought a turn none the less. Just bad luck he couldn't connect that charge.

One Mutant Warband fails three times to make it's morale check and the Cultist Champion triggers a mutants detonation collar each time until they get the message and decide to stick around... with the exception of the three units that just had their heads exploded.

Cultists: 52VP         Imperials: 16VP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 3

John again loses the Initiative and it's the first turn I haven't had a negative Initiative modifier. Chaos still has a higher VP total so retains the +1 morale modifier.

Orders are placed and John gives two Minotaur Warbands Charge orders. I don't fancy my chances much in close combat with that.

The Repentia move first and charge into the remnants of the Chaos Mutant warbands milling around. The situation soon gets out of hand as more units try to charge in. The Archangels land amidst the tumult while the Prioress and the Hospitilar both close in to assist.
A unit of Seraphim see an opertunity and soar over the battle dropping down into the Chaos Defenders in the rocks.

The last Penitent Engine stomps off to engage the furthest enemy stand it can reach in order to scout for hidden Chaos units... Dug in Chaos Marines!.. New targeting instructions are hurriedly relayed to the waiting artillery.

Again the first fire phase takes it's toll off the Chaos force leaving little remaining.

Mad eyed Sisters Repentia sing as they cleave the heretics in the swirling melee around them. The Archangels seek out the Monsters and Mutants to bring swift justice to the enemies of mankind...

Utter desolation. When the last fight is worked out the outcome is clear. The ladies can kick some!
John had some very poor dice rolls and compounded with losing the initiative he couldn't stop the Archangels going first. After that their was little else to do but count the bodies...

Having a Prioress close by helped while the Hospitiler  failed both Medic rolls required of her. Being able to re-roll Caf Dice on a roll of one or two was decisive.
The Repentia had little trouble being gripped by Holy Rage... what does a guy have to do to break one of his own units. (At the end of turn 3 if the Repentia aren't broken the enemy gains their VP)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Once again when the shooting stopped the Cultists had been slaughtered. However it was now the End Phase of the third turn and the Sisters had failed in their mandate!..

With a blood chilling roar Angron materialises from the Warp Stone into the real world. There is a tangible reek of copper or burnt blood in the air from the ozone caused by the electrical discharge. With malicious hate filled eyes Angron considers his enemies, and sneers...

Although there were many newly broken Warbands in the Cultists army, with Angron looking over them they all instantly passed their morale rolls meaning the Chaos Champion could give his detonation trigger finger a rest.

The Novitiate Squad also pass their morale roll but with the help of the nearby Mother Superior.
The Sisters have inflicted some serious casualties but they where nothing and count for nothing. The battle is only about to start...

Now the Sisters must find a way to stop the Chaos Daemons from coming into this world. To do that they must take and hold both warp stones and kill anything that may still manage to cross over... while being attacked by a Greater Daemon Prince and all his crazy mutant minions... who said life was easy?

Since John hasn't used any Chaos Cards yet he has managed to keep all TEN for Angron. Crafty little $£@*!

Chaos Casualties... John's going to need an even BIGGER box.

Imperial Casualties (Note to self; build more Penitents)

Cultists: 58VP        Imperials: 35VP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I also forgot to mention the rules for Daemons materialising in this scenario. Skip if board...

Random Selection: Easy... roll a D6 on a 4+ some Daemons will arrive. All the Daemon Hordes are already made up. Roll another D6 on a 1-2 result - one Greater Daemon and all his attached Minions and Specials arrive, 3-4 result - two Greater Daemon Hordes with all their attached Minions and Specials arrive, 5-6 result - Three blah, blah, blah... you get it.

Materialisation: Well, the two Warp Stones are exactly 30cm apart so using the mid point between them roll 2D6cm Scatter and then place your first model and each other model within formation distance but no closer to the enemy than the 15cm from the original model. (This stops long chains of just in formation units extended towards the enemy). We use the 15cm limit for units being revealed from hiding. Otherwise John could have extended his Mutants all the way to my lines.

For those of us that are unable to see the Images on TacCom properly here's an attached image just for you...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oooooowhhh.....more, more, MORE!

???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 4

Yet again John's luck is constant and I win the Initiative again. Orders go out to all the troops...

Smug from the last close combat encounter I think I have a brilliant idea and send the half chewed up Seraphim Squad to hold the pass through the central rocky outcrop. They must hold the pass to delay the Cultists.
However Angron has his own ideas and on seeing this he strides over bellowing a fearsome Roar that turns the Seraphims blood to ice, crumbling any resolve they may have. Even their Shield of Faith abandons them in the face of a charging Greater Daemon Prince of Khorne.

Shield of Faith
All Sisters of Battle infantry, Walker, Light Vehicles (Bikes + Land Speeders) have a Psychic save of 6+ that must be rolled for as a unit not individually.

John sends his Mutated War dogs crashing into the Stormtroopers on the left and two troopers fail their morale check from fear. Irregardless more troops deploy to minimise the mess while others press on. Before long the left once looking like a possible line of attack devolves into another wild melee...

To the right of the outcrop the Repentia charge straight into any Cultist within range. Before long a warband of mutants counter charge lastly followed by the Archangels in a repeat of the previous engagement. Some people never learn while others (me) push their luck too far. The Prioress also gets stuck in while the Hospitiler stays back to tend the wounded.

The movement phase ends with some gruesome looking close combats to look forward too but the Sisters are still no nearer their goal. I could have sent the Archangels and Punishers straight in but with Daemonic reinforcements on route I beleived mutual support and gradual advances to be the better option. What do you think?..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Obviously Angron becomes the main target. Fire for effect!
The ground erupts in a continuous series of explosions as battery after battery lay on their best. Five out of six Basilisk templates hit on target with only one scattering off course. More impressive as the Forward Observer can not see the target. The barrage continues with the Cardinals and then the Deacons throwing their weight into the mix. Explosion after explosion throws up earth around Angron while his minions die one after the other but He weathers the storm and as the last shell falls he unfolds his wings and stands towering, untouched... er-hem... *cough* sorry.

Three Juggernaughts the last Big Mutant and the Demagogue all die in the fire while Angron Plays Iron Hard Skin and relinquishes a Chaos Card to stave off banishment. The Deacon Battery hit Angron with their Daemon Slayer sanctified shell (Holy Hand Grenade) but he managed to make his save.

The Cultists again fire back with their lighter Thudd Guns. They finally get their act together as they lift their aim to the Retributors on the central hill. Three templates scatter wildly and burst amongst the tightly packed Seraphim behind the hill. One attack hits the Forward Obs Rhino! Which thankfully makes it's save.
Thudd Gun
5cm, - save, -3 Caf, Thudd Gun (75cm   6cm Temp    2BP   0TSM, Artillery, 6cm Temp, Fires Twice

The Hereticus Inquisitor Lords efforts to get a clear line of fire for his Psycannon are thwarted as Angron plays peek-a-boo behind the rocks.

The First Fire phase is again an uneven exchange in the Imperials favour but it's just an appetiser as we both wanted to get to the Close Combat phase.