Login |  Register |  FAQ

Skitarii vs Biel Tan 3,000ps

Post subject: Skitarii vs Biel Tan 3,000ps
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pulled out my Skitarii for the first time last night, and had a lot of fun with them.

SKITARRII
2 x Sagitarius demi-centuries with rapiers and Ordinati Minorus (Laser Blaster)
2 x Praetorians with Ordinati transports
2 x Crusader Robots
2 x Collossus Robots
Skitarius demi-century with secutors, gun servitors and chimedons
Skitarius demi-century with Magos

BIEL TAN (From memory)
Scorpions
Dire Avengers in Vampire
Shining Spears via warp gate
Falcons with two fire prisms
Night Spinners
Revenants
Guardians with wraithguard
Rangers

I set my Praetorians on the right flank, colossus robot also on the right. The skitarii with Magos were defending the blitz, while the Sagitarii were set up to advance towards the other two objectives on my side. Chimedons in the centre.

Eldar had guardians and rangers on their right, night spinners in the centre, everything else on the left.

I charged forward some collossu robots, then some praetorians, which the eldar proceeded to dismantle.

I didn't feel rushing forward like that was necessarily smart, but I also felt his tricksy, speedy shooty force would take me apart on the advance anyway if I was more cautious.

Crusader robots were the next into the meatgrinder.

With some of the Eldar forces actually moving into the open, I advanced more colossus robots, as well as a sagitarri formation. Unfortunately, the revenant holofields made a mockery of Mechanicus targeting systems.

Shining spears spring from the portal and assault my crusaders. My robots punch well above their point cost in melee. While the supporting fire from the falcons is enough to eliminate them, they destroy most of the spears, and break them.

The Vampire and Dire Avengers were wasted in a fairly pointless assault to drive a single crusader robot of an objective. The robots were broken, on dire avenger killed. Then, my other sagitarius formation moved up and the minorus took out the Vampire (thus why the vampire is not visible in this pic).

In a fit of madness, I continued the meatgrinder strategy, and to end the turn my secutors marched across the table and deployed.

Last edited by Sable Wyvern on Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Skitarii vs Biel Tan 3,000ps
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The chimedons and secutors in his face definitely got my opponent panicking a little. He double-retained, moving the night-spinners away, then using scorpions and revenants to start popping chimedons.

More praetorians into the breach, hoping to keep up the pressure.

Everything on the Eldar left has basically pulled back into cover to blast the secutors. which eventually breaks them.

The Avatar is called and joins the guardians in an assault on my broken secutors (mostly gun servitors by now), destroying my BTS.

I conceded early in the fourth.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No great surprise that I lost, given my reckless play.

Partially it was the fact that I wasn't at all sure how my skitarii work. Partly it was the fact that I'm really not sure how to handle Eldar in general, despite the fact that 95% of my epic battles in all editions have been against eldar. They can hide and pop up to use their powerful long range weapons pretty much anywhere they want, with minimal return fire. I kept my side of the board secure the entire game, but it will typically be possible for the eldar to rush one formation over there if they need to at the end of a turn.

Having said that, my sagitarii formations did exactly what I'd intended them to do. With a 10cm move on the rapiers, they weren't going anywhere fast, but each formation advanced inexorably towards it's objective, and the laser destroyers kept the eldar out of their fire lanes. My problem was that, in charging everything else forward, the eldar did not need to advance to engage me, so I basically nullified my own strategy.

Despite getting whipped pretty good, a big thumbs up for an awesome list. Out of my Salamanders, Minervans and Skitarrii, the Skitarii are definitely my favourites. At this stage, I'm just torn on whether next time I want to deploy much the same force, but use them better, or start swapping different formations in and out. There is so much cool stuff on the list.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The terrain, from what I can see, significantly favoured your opponent. Lots of open fields, hills to pop up over and a few scattered forests. Ideal tank country, and your formation.was largely infantry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the report. Glad you are enjoying the list too!

When I play my Skitarii, I usually try to take the first turn to get the sagitarii into a good covered position with field of fire so they can sit there and weather incoming fire while using sustained fire to put serious hurt on anything trying to shift them.

I also tend to use crusader and colossus robots in tandem. Crusaders screen and the colossus give supporting fire and AA cover.

Praetorians are ones I don't always use but I might try to use them as a quick reaction force to punch through and assault with. They are pretty tough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Drang wrote:
The terrain, from what I can see, significantly favoured your opponent. Lots of open fields, hills to pop up over and a few scattered forests. Ideal tank country, and your formation.was largely infantry.

Most of my forests aren't suitable to transport to the location we played but I might have work up some more varied terrain in future.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sable Wyvern wrote:
Drang wrote:

Most of my forests aren't suitable to transport to the location we played but I might have work up some more varied terrain in future.

Yeah, I suspect you'd have had a rough time against any kind of tank heavy force - Guard armour could also have made a mess of your chaps from a distance. More woods and BUA is definitely called for.