Login |  Register |  FAQ

6k Ghazghkull´s Orks vs IG Alliance

Post subject: 6k Ghazghkull´s Orks vs IG Alliance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello to all.

I come again with another battle report, this time about a 6000 points battle between two sets of Ghazghkull Orks armies on one side and on the other an alliance of Steel Legion and Minervan Tank Legion, played with a new group of people. Recently have been travelling and taking advantage of the opportunity to meet more people and this was one of those times.

One thing to note on the report is that to simplify things out all of the buildings and the room inside each group count as area terrain ruins, so it is not possible to see through them but can see the units inside and there is no height. Another is that the armies on each side count as one army together, so there is no extra rules fro multiple armies and there is no two sets of Death Strikes (thankfully) or two Ork Warlords, it just means that each person moves their own guys. The last thing to note is that i forgot when making the maps but Thunderbolt formations are made of two planes, not three but i am too lazy to correct every map now.

From my side this was my first time playing in 120x180cm as in the ''club'' I am in we play on 120x240cm so this was quite constraining and straight forward, even more considering the 6000 points, with plenty of easy support fire most of the time. Thankfully neither of us fielded a horde army as that would be shitty and simple to play just moving forward, even though i would like to do that at least once.

Forces

Both Guard armies deploy a quite normal list, with the exception of a lot of Manticores and Hydras but very few in terms of air support in my opinion.

Incompertus, 3100 POINTS
Steel Legion (NetEA Army Compendium v2014)
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra

INFANTRY COMPANY [300]
Commander, 12 Infantry, Hydra

INFANTRY COMPANY [400]
Commander, 12 Infantry, Hydra, Fire Support Platoon (4 Fire Support)

INFANTRY COMPANY [400]
Commander, 12 Infantry, Hydra, Fire Support Platoon (4 Fire Support)

TANK COMPANY [650]
9 Leman Russ, Vanquisher

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Hydra

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels

Incompertus, 2750 POINTS
Minervan Tank Legion (NetEA Tournament Pack 2014)

TANK COMPANY [625]
10 Leman Russ

SUPER-HEAVY TANK COMPANY [500]
3 Baneblade

SUPER-HEAVY TANK COMPANY [500]
3 Shadowsword

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores

DEATHSTRIKE MISSILE BATTERY [200]
2 Deathstrike Missile Launchers

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Hydra

WARHOUND [275]
1 Warhound Class Titan

Don´t know if the Imperial side really played with 150 points less but i don´t see where they went to.

From the Ork side we had some signal problems and couldn´t coordinate the army's creation so my companion in carnage fielded a Gargant army with two formations each of Stormboyz plus Deth Koptas and Gunzmobs, which i found later deep in the battle that at least one of the two had a pair of Soopagunz's Oddboyz.

Incompertus, 2950 POINTS
Ghazgkhull Thraka's War Horde (NetEA Tournament Pack 2013)

MEKBOY STOMPAMOB [500]
3 Stompa, Supa Stompa

MEKBOY STOMPAMOB [500]
3 Stompa, Supa Stompa

MEKBOY GUNZMOB (BIG) [325]
10 Big Gunz, 2 Oddboy

MEKBOY GUNZMOB (BIG) [325]
10 Big Gunz, 2 Oddboy

STORMBOYZ WARHORDE [325]
6 Stormboyz, 5 Deth Kopta

STORMBOYZ WARHORDE [325]
6 Stormboyz, 5 Deth Kopta

GARGANT [650]
3 Soopagun

From my part i had a general idea only of his army so i tried to add as much of what he was lacking to balance things out: speed, assault, deepstriking and shooting. The Landas and the Bikes were there to test, as i don´t use much neither of them, and building those wooden Landas was also to push me to use them more. The lack of more Flakwagons was just a lack of miniatures from my part.

Incompertus, 3000 POINTS
Ghazgkhull Thraka's War Horde (NetEA Tournament Pack 2013)

BLITZ BRIGADE [200]
2 Flakwagon, 2 Gunwagon, Oddboy (Supa Zzap)

BLITZ BRIGADE [200]
Flakwagon, 3 Gunwagon, Oddboy (Supa Zzap)

BLITZ BRIGADE [200]
2 Flakwagon, 2 Gunwagon, Oddboy (Soopagunz)

BLITZ BRIGADE [200]
4 Gunwagon, Oddboy (Soopagunz)

BLITZ BRIGADE [200]
2 Flakwagon, 2 Gunwagon, Oddboy (Supa Zzap)

KULT OF SPEED (BIG) [350]
9 Warbuggy, 7 Warbike

KULT OF SPEED (BIG) [350]
8 Warbuggy, 8 Skorcha

KULT OF SPEED [200]
Warbuggy, 7 Warbike

KULT OF SPEED [200]
Warbuggy, 7 Warbike

STORMBOYZ WARHORDE [150]
6 Stormboyz

LANDA [200]

LANDA [200]

FIGHTA SKWADRON [150]
3 Fighta Bomba

FIGHTA SKWADRON [200]
4 Fighta Bomba

Deployment

The objectives were fielded mainly on the left flank between the buildings and the IG guys took that opportunity to field their two garrisons there on Overwatch to block the path and the Orks answered by placing their Gunzmobs on Overwatch too on the room left between.

We tried to fit all the formations as well as we could, concentrating on the left flank with all the big guys and the numbers on the left from the two sides, but overall spreading around.

I have no idea of how many shields each Gargant had exactly but i know for sure that there was no big surprises here in any direction.

So let's begin, shall we?

Turn 1. The IG guys get the initiative.

IG: Deathstrikes sustain on the Gargant, turning off all of its shields.
IG: Manticore 2 retain and sustain fire with all 6BP on Gunzmob, killing some.
O: Blitz 1 fails to activate and shoots on Infantry 1, taking out one stand with a lucky shot.

IG: Manticore 3 countinues the pounding sustaining fire with 6BPs on Supa 1 and get Blitz 3 under the second template. Supa 1 loses 1 Stompa.
IG: Manticore 1 fails the action and shoots 6 BPs directly on Gunzmob but does no damage.
O: Supa 1 marshall as it was on the verge of breaking and shoots Infantry 2 dealing some damage.

O: Blitz 3 retains too and moves forward as it cannot shoots no one as they were supressed and to see if Infantry 2 would pull off the Overwatch.
IG: Infantry 2 marshall also and shoots Blitz 3 dealing no damage on them.
O: Gunzmob 2 marshall also to follow the trend, but fails and just remove some BMs.

IG: Shadowsword advance on the Gargant and take out 5DCs with one of them ending up as a critical hit. The beast is wounded but still kicking.
O: Supa 2 ouble to the crossroads in front of them and breaks Infantry 2, which choose to flee back near the road behind.
IG: Thunderbolts go on CAP.

O: Storm 3 doubles towards the building in fron of them.
IG: Regimental HQ assaults the advancing Storm 3, and win the combat but not much: the few guys that could go into assault (mostly Chimeras) countered the 6+ of the stormboyz so the Deth Koptas had an advantage, ending in that IG lost on modifiers by one but won on resolution by three, losing four Chimeras on it.
O: Gargant marshall as it was on the verge of breaking, shoots infantry 1 taking out one infantry stand and the Hydra and removes 2 BMs.

IG: Thunderbolts ground attack Gunz 1 with the help of the SC and destroys one stand.
O: Blitz 4 doubles on Infantry 4, placing themselves behind the building where infatry 2 were and taking out some stands.
IG: Infantry 1 marshalls and shoots on Gunz 1 sending one stand to the Painboyz.

O: Blitz 5 doubles on the Warhound and takes out its shields. This was mostly for the BM but the shields made it a big success.
IG: Infantry 3 advance on the Blitz 5 but does nothing to them.
O: Storm 2 doubles on Infantry 1 for a BM and places on the ruins with them.

IG: Leman BTS doubles on Blits 2 and takes out the only Flakwagon.
O: Storm 1 doubles behind the central building where Infantry 2 were and shoot while poping up but deal no damage.
IG: Leman fail and shoot Supa 2, taking out its two shields and one Stompa.

O: Fighta 4 ground attack Inf 1 to lure out the Thunderbolts and succed. No side does any damage to anyone.
IG: Warhound fails to activate and takes out its BM.
O: Blitz 2 doubles on Hydra 1 to begin the Ork's cunning plan, but fails on doing any damage.

IG: Hydras 2 fail and remove the BM.
O: Fighta 2 ground attack Hydras 1 and destroys 1 breaking the formation which chooses to flee towards the center.
O: Landa 1 retain before IG can counter it and air assault the Leman BTS. On the combat, the Leman Russes deal no damage but i calculate badly the support and they do some damage on the Landa. Even with that the Orks win by far on modifiers by taking out two Leman Russes but lose by resolution again. They withdraw to near Supa 1 behind the forest.

IG: Sentinels march timidly to the center.
O: Kult 3 double to behind the building in fron of them.
IG: Baneblades advance on Kult 1 and destroy two. Gunzmob answers by activatingits Overwatch but do no damage even with the MW on the Soopagunz.

O: Kult 4 doubles to the center to behind some ruins on the right of Kult 3.
O: Landa 2 air assaults Leman BTS. This time Orks win on the resolution too and make the Leman, which now are down to five vehicles, flee in the direction of the left corner, behind the Baneblades.

All the aircraft returns to base without being shooted at.

Baneblades rally
Leman BTs doesn't rally
Infantry 1 doesn't rally
Infantry 2 rally
Hydra 1 rally
Regimental HQ rally
Gunz 1 rally
Blitz 1 doesn't rally
Blitz 2 doesn't rally
Gunz 2 doesn't rally
Kult 1 doesn't rally
ult 2 doesn't rally
Supa 2 doesn´t rally
Blitz 5 doesn´t rally
Stormboyz 3 rally

Turn 2. The Orks get the intiative.

O: Gargant doubles on Infantry 1, placing themselves behind the building they am in, and managing to take out some stands.
O: Kult 1 retains and assaults Infantry 2. Orks win with several loses and Infantry 2 withdraws behind the Shadowswords.
IG: Leman sustain fire on Supa 2 and destroys the Supa-Stompa. The formation withdraws back to where they began.

IG: Baneblades retain with the help of the SC and an advance shooting at point blank range at the Gunzmob 1, taking out most of them, which break and withdraw behind the thin tower behind them.
O: Blitz 2 fails on activating and shoots on Shadowswords, taking 1 DC out of one of them.
IG: Shadowswords fail and shoot at Supa 1, evaporating the Supa-Stompa. The remaining chose to not move.

O: Fighta 2 ground attack Leman BTS and destroy one with a BM.
IG: Infantry 4 double on Blitz 5 and break them by destroying one Flakwagon, so the remaining vehicles withdraw behind Stormboyz 3. Infantry 4 gets into position on the ruins.
O: Gunz 2 double on Infantry 1, intermingling with the Stormboyz 2 in the buildings and doing no damage on the humans.

O: Stormboyz 2 retain? and assault Infantry 1 but bounce back, due to checking badly the support from Gunz 2 and Gargant, for forgetting about the Baneblades, and because the Stomboyz killed too many. The Orks barely withdraw back because Infantry 1 broke due to their loses too so the humans withdraw to the craters behind the Baneblades.
IG: Manticores 2 advance and put the final BM on Kult 2, which choses to withdraw, far, far away.

And we called off the game here due to various time issues and because we forgot how much time a 6000 points battle takes.

On objectives there is an slight advantage on the Ork side on that moment as maybe that objective on the right was Ork's and the Manticores had shot everything, but the Gargant had it easy to be destroyed and it wasn´t as easy on the Leman BTs. The Guard had more formations clean or almost clean and the Orks had too many important ones broken so if we had played more i doubt the Orks could have won.

Conclusions

That was short but quite intense for both sides. A bit strange also for me, with so many Hydras and Manticores which was new for me, a companion with a Gargant list, and so many marshall actions.

The human side fought well, with only falling for my bait with the Fightas, using all 6BPs on all three Manticore formations and being too agressive with the BTS as bad decisions in my opinion, but on our side were many, with how we focused too much shooting on the Infantry garrisons, didn´t even try to protect the WEs in Turn 1, not placing a Kult in front of the garrisons which could have taken them out easily and would placed more doubts on when to use the Overwatch, the placement of the Supa-ZZaps and Soopagunz, or the support on the assaults with the kult 1 and Stormboy 2. On the other side i liked the
preparation of the assault on the BTs even if it failed.

The luck was more or less balanced, with some failed activations on both sides, and around average throws, but the resolution throws were against us most of the time, which would have made the battle closer to a tie.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 6k Ghazghkull´s Orks vs IG Alliance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the battle report and maps!

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

Profile Send private message