Login |  Register |  FAQ

Fight Night - Marine Air Assault Vs Necron ground pounders

Post subject: Fight Night - Marine Air Assault Vs Necron ground pounders
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bonus article this week, come and see Mick and I utilize the full range of tactical insights!

http://d6addiction.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/fight-night-space-marines-vs-necrons.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Fight Night - Marine Air Assault Vs Necron ground pounde
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In my experience, Necrons are a poor matchup for Marines, especially the airborne variety, for exactly the reasons in the post. To be fair, you got lucky with 4x crits out of 8 shots, (welcome to my world Mick :D ), but that is actually only part of the point of the Necron strategy. On average, two Pylon shots at AA4+ TK(D3) will score at least 1 hit each transport aircraft with a 2/3 chance of an outright kill on a THawk, and a further 1/6 chance of a crit on a LC - each such loss taking down a significant formation.

Worse, the main targets for air-assaults (the phalanxes) are off-table - and if played properly, will stay permanently off-table - leaving the Marines with Fearless, RA, Skimming targets (monoliths), that still operate when broken allowing the Phalanxes to assault targets with impunity. The limited MW fire available (usually two Warhounds, 1-2 Landspeeders) cannot destroy the things fast enough, and when broken they escape off-table allowing the Necron player to redeploy them the following turn. This party trick and being Fearless means that ultimately the monoliths have to be shot, since they also do not die or have to move when losing an assault.

Oh, and the 'Living Metal' ability means that they ignore the effects of sniper, MW or Lance, while TK is reduced to (1) meaning that even these weapons have limited effect!! (The E-UK list differs slightly by saving against each TK hit, though that is not a huge difference, especially when you don't have any TK in the army . . .)

When the Phalanxes do assault, they arrive from one portal and escape by another (from the same monolith formation), allowing them to rally off-table. And the 'Necron' ability means they regenerate those units that were killed in the assault. In fact the Phalanxes only actually need to stay on table in the third turn to control objectives, by which time the enemy has usually exhausted its strength.

Pylons are targets when trying to unlock this conundrum by air, but these are deployed by Teleport somewhere in the middle of the table behind the screen of monoliths (risking doom by TK AA) making them inaccessible except by air-assault or teleporting troops in the 2nd / 3rd turns. While the normal 1-2 formations of ThunderBolts can break a Pylon per turn, at the cost of at least one a/c per attack, retreating off-table means that it will rally 2/3 of the time if not destroyed outright. So having two Pylons mid-table means that TK AA coverage is virtually guaranteed around the playable table surface. And the Necron player usually welcomes attempts to destroy the Pylons by other means, since doing that puts isolated enemy targets in range for Necron counter-assaults.

This is why the E-UK leading player (you know who you are :) ) wipes the floor with Necrons against all-comers, because few tournament armies are capable of defeating the Necron strategy if properly executed.

The main weakness (if it actually is a weakness) is the relative lack of mobility of the Necron monoliths once deployed on the table as they cannot march, which in turn anchors the Necron army. Even so, they can move 30cm a turn and still be used meaning that the canny Necron player can make use of interior lines to catch an opponent who (rightly) decides that his forces really need to get away from the Necron theatre of operations rather than going toe-to-toe. In essence this means that Objective placement and initial deployment is even more critical, since it determines where the Necrons will concentrate and ultimately where the game will be won or lost.

Probably the best (only) option is to play 'sides', place Blitz 2/3 along the long edge and the T&H objectives on either side edge at 30cm from the Necron deployment zone. Then deploy your limited forces far away from your own Blitz and avoid all contact as far as possible. The Necron player can then either choose to chase you (getting out of position), or more likely just settle mid-table opposite his T&H and your Blitz waiting for you to come to him. Turn #3 then becomes a race to capture / contest objectives, starting with attacks on the Pylons. IF you are lucky and can break one or both of them, you may stand a chance of out-activating the Necrons, forcing them to deploy their phalanxes on table for you to air-assault, but that is a big "IF".
This strategy determines where you place your reserves at the outset before the game starts (in air-transports, spaceship or teleport), and effectively locks both players into a game that basically turns on the throw of a few dice.

To be blunt, I have not had any good experiences against Necrons with either Marines or Eldar and find them one of the least 'fun' opponents to play against. More than once I have seriously considered throwing the game without playing!!!
:{[] >:(

(And all this from the newly appointed Harlequin Sub-AC) :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Love your work, Ginger! :)

Our 'Cron players at Microsoft actually became so disillusioned with them that when they moved away, they gave me their models. It's not fun to face but it's even boring to play. (and don't get me started on those damn fearless monoliths as breaking them actually MAKES THEM BETTER as they get free move!! :{[] )

BC, that "oh no!!!!!!!" picture at the end is fabulous!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:54 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Should give the Sautekh Necrons a try. Still have the necron flavor with less of the beardiness.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

atension wrote:
Should give the Sautekh Necrons a try. Still have the necron flavor with less of the beardiness.

Oh there is plenty of beard that needs trimming with the Sautechs, I just need to get more games in with them (& up loaded) to demonstrate my thoughts.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:30 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'll also say great reports. A marine player has to be flexible against Necrons & especially Pylons.

A similar example comes to mind when I was playing Eldar and took 3 flights of Nightwings. My Marine opponent gave up on air assaults and garrisoned both Terminator formations. I was gutted.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger, I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but as I understand it, in E:UK macro is fully "effective" against living metal. Also necrons can only regenerate a single unit in the end phase unless they take a marshal or hold action which effectivvely prevents any other significant action that turn. Pylons are certainly a bad prospect for air assault with no recourse to planetfall. Incidentally the person who always wins with them doesn't (or didn't) use pylons. Just loads of monolith and warriors which is all he needs. I'd be interested to see how (and with what) anyone beats him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
I'll also say great reports. A marine player has to be flexible against Necrons & especially Pylons.

A similar example comes to mind when I was playing Eldar and took 3 flights of Nightwings. My Marine opponent gave up on air assaults and garrisoned both Terminator formations. I was gutted.

:-p

Did they win?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the E-UK list, Living Metal is represented by a 4+ Invulnerable save, effectively giving the unit RA against MW and Lance. And yes Regeneration takes place in the Rally phase for the few Phalanx units that the enemy managed to kill.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger, Macros remove the first armour save on living metal, it's lance that's totally ineffective against them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger wrote:
In my experience, Necrons are a poor matchup for Marines, especially the airborne variety, for exactly the reasons in the post.

Really, I'd have thought just keep everything off board until turn 3 and then come in with landing craft, strike cruiser, drop pods, gain a massive activation advantage and hammer their blitz? You could even planet fall the t-Hawks if you were seriously worried about pylons.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Have to agree, have played dozens of games using both the NetEA and UK approved lists. Marines can do well against necrons, just need to adapt your tactics a bit. Like Stevek said planet fall completely circumvents any AA threat on the initial strike. Pylons are very easy to break also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

StevekCole wrote:
Ginger, Macros remove the first armour save on living metal, it's lance that's totally ineffective against them.
Not quite. Macro or Lance weapons remove one save from a unit with RA. This 4+ Invulnerable save effectively restores the lost save.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:03 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Living metal in UK just confers a 4+ inv save. They don't have RA. If you guys were playing with RA and the Inv save... yeah I can see how that would have been annoying, three 4+'s would be insane.