Login |  Register |  FAQ

[batrep] Emperor's Children vs. Ultwe

Post subject: [batrep] Emperor's Children vs. Ultwe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rules used:
 Handbook 2.0
 Landing flyers cannot contest objectives (Finnish tournament rule)
 Fearless units must fall back as other units
 Pop-up unit visibility rules a bit modified
 Ulthwe 3.2
 EC 2.0 + Hell Blades with 30cm x2 4/6/6+ (3 for 200) + SR 4, turn initiative 2d6

Forces:
Ulthwe:
  Phantom Titan (2x pulsar)  (BTS)
  Scorpion
  Scorpion
  Cobra
  Vampire + Guardians
  Guardians (with 3 heavy weapons)  (gate reserve)
  Black Guardians (with seer council) + 4 Wave Serpents
  Swords: 4 Falcons + 1 Firestorm
  Shields: 3 Night Spinners.
  + Wraithgate, Avatar

Emperor's Children:
  Chosen (BTS)
  Daemon Knights
  Daemon Knights
  Bikes + Daemon Prince (SC)
  Hell Blades
  Subjugator
  Questor
  Questor
  Legionnaires

No picture this time, but they still look the same (except new Daemon Knights which I have had no time yet to paint)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SETUP

Ulthwe choose side deployment.
Objects are positioned and Eldar changes the right side objective with Wraithgate.
EC garrisoned both Daemon Knights and Legionnaires.
Ulthwe has nothing to garrison.

Daemon Knights are spread along the front line.
Legionnaires protect two objectives.
EC Scout Titans are deployed evenly and bikes are in right flank.

Eldar has Black Guardians and Falcons in the corner, Night Spinners at their Blitz and Phantom in a forest at the middle and heavy tanks all around - one in left corner, Cobra and Scorpion next to Phantom

Closer image from Eldar left flank deployment. Across them: Daemon Knights, Bikes, Questor #2, Subjugator, Questor #1. Black things on left are Hell Blades, out of field actually.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:17 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Whilst not complaining about your testing, I feel that the list you have played seems a bit devoid of Noise Marines. Was this done on purpose?

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Tiny-Tim @ Dec. 06 2007,18:17)
Whilst not complaining about your testing, I feel that the list you have played seems a bit devoid of Noise Marines. Was this done on purpose?

They seem overpriced. At 275 I might consider them more (and 350 for havocs). They are slow and shoot at short range. Rhinos can be bought but then we are already at 350 points, makes formation mixed and one destroyed rhino makes them crawling.

Basically I see two uses for them: at drop pods (with 1-5 Possessed) and then as blitz guard. Blitz guard could have Defilers and Debaser as support units, but Debasers suck and if Defilers are changed, so would they too...

Anyway, I considered swapping Bikes to Noise Marines with Rhinos, but I wanted to test the Bikes, so far they have never been worth their cost...

(if Noise Marines should always be core choice, then maybe EC list should be made like Eldar or IG lists, not like SM or Orks...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 1:
No teleports or avatar.
Initiative: EC

Chaos decides to start with heavy offence (destroy and destroy)

Daemon Knights #1 double toward Eldar corner, open fire at Black Guardians trying to break them, but only hits 3 (18 dice, 5+ needed, sigh...)

Questor #1 retains and doubles toward Eldar corner, opens fire at Black Guardians but kills none(!)

Scorpion #2 (at Eldar left flank) sustains fire at Daemon Knights #2 and hits 2 - but other saves with invulnerable save.
Legionnaires are put to overwatch.

Phantom sustains fire at Daemon Knights #1 and destroys 2. Subjugator doubles to ruins close to Phantom titan and shoots at Night Spinners, destroying one and breaking them.

Falcons sustains fire at Questor #1 in forest and drop 2 void shields from it. Bikes double to position behind the forest to be in engagement range next turn.

Cobra advances and opens fire at Subjugator but misses.
Questor #2 doubles to ruins close to Phantom and Cobra and fires at Cobra but misses all.

Scorpion #1 tries to sustain but fails but fires neverthless at Daemon Knights #1, killing one and breaking rest which fall back toward EC table edge.
Daemon Knights #2 double, shoots at Scorpion #2, hits twice but it saves both.

Vampire does ground assault at Questor #1, engaging it with 8 Guardiands (my bad, I did not put Hell Blades to CAP as I planned to hit Vampire afterwards but I cannot as it had now landed! Or can Intercept hit landed flyer?) Questor #1 takes 7 hits but saves most but still takes 2 damage and staggers around the forest (2 criticals) and then breaks. Hell Blades try to do something but fail to take into air.

Black Guardians marshall and reposition a bit.
Guardians in reserve fail to activate.

Every formation rallies.

Scout titans at ruins, rallied Daemon Knights #1 and Questor #1.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 2: carnage
 No teleports or avatar
 Initiative: EC

Subjugator charges Phantom and rips it with its claws - the other one finds target. 3 damage is caused but holo field is not lost - in exchange, Phantom does 2 damage to Subjugator. The engagement continues to second round, Subjugator hits with all its 5 attacks...
..but this time holo-field works against all attacks but one normal hit which is saved by armour. In exchange, Phantom destroys Subjugator.

EC retains with Questor #2 which sustains fire at Cobra. 2 damage is caused, engine destroyed and vehicle implodes. Scorpion #2 sustains fire at Daemon Knights #2, destroys 2 and remaining ones fall back to left flank.

Bikes (well, steed riders) charge and engage both the Guardians dropped from Vampire and the intermingled Scorpion #1. 3 Guardians are lost and one bike. In combat resolution, Guardians and Scorpion turn to flee and are blasted into oblivion. Falcons double to shoot at Daemon Knights #1, destroy one and rout remaining two.

Black Guardians retain and counter-charge EC Bikes. 5 hits are scored in combat (one per bike and one to Daemon Prince) and none save! (1.3% chance or so...) Black Guardians are routed in exchange hits, but can still rejoice when EC SC is lost. Vampire Raider retains, aims at Questor #1 and destroys it.

Hell Blades target Vampire and destroy it! Night Spinners sustain and cast some web on the top of Questor #2 which loses one shield.
Legionnaires stay on Overwatch.

Phantom advances, opens fire at Questor #2 which takes one damage, breaks and falls to back rank.

All Eldar formations rally. Of routed chaos formations, Daemon Knights #1 rally while Daemon Knights #2 and Questor #2 do not.

What a carnage!
Completely destroyed: Subjugator, Questor, Bikes, Cobra, Scorpion, Vampire, Guardians...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking like a great match... and I'm just not sure who to root for as I like both forces!  *laugh*

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 3.
Things look a bit bad to EC: only a few activations and Eldar are in control of their half of the table and all their objectives. Time to call Chosen although most probably the initiative will be lost...
Teleport: Chosen to Eldar corner.
In response, Farseer calls Avatar to face Chosen.

Initiative: Eldar

Falcons advance and open fire at lone visible Daemon Knight #1. It is destroyed and the last one from that formation moves to block their path.

Eldar decide not to retain. Hell Blades roam from sky and opens fire at Black Guardians. Some of them are destroyed and remaining ones rout to Eldar blitz. Chosen retain and sustain fire at Avatar, which takes 2 damage and is routed.

Night Spinners sustain fire at Chosen and cause 2 blast markers. Legionnaires march to occupy Eldar side of the table.

Guardians in reserve engage from the Wraithgate the Legionnaires, destroy two and lose one Guardian in response and drive Legionnaires back. Scorpion doubles and shoots one legionnaire.
Phantom doubles toward chosen and opens fire but destroys single Chosen.

Chosen, Daemon Knights #2 and Legionnaires fail to rally, only Questor #2 rallies. All Eldar rally.

Situation at the end of turn 3. Goals: 0-0

For the next turn, EC had 3 activations: Hell Blades, Chosen and Questor #2.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 4
Chaos has about one change: win initiative. Eldar rolls 2(+5), chaos... 6
Initiative: Eldar

Falcons advance and open fire at remaining Questor. One damage is caused and Questor routs again. Eldar retain with Phantom which sustains fire at Chosen, destroying 3 and routing rest.

Chaos has now one activation left: Hell Blades. And they fail to activate.

We then check the possible goals the Eldar could reach and decide that it will be 2-0 for Eldar after some dice rolls (Defend the Flag, They Shall Not Pass) as Eldar cannot reach EC objectives (as they would need more activations than they have) and fail to destroy remaining 2 Chosen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Afterthoughs:
Hell Blades are good for shooting flyers down. Too good? I do not think so.. a bit sad that yet again they are very good at shooting AP targets but suck against AT - this army is completely filled with such units!
Daemon Knights are definately worth 450 for 6 (despite my initial thoughts).
Bikes still seem quite expensive, but I will keep on testing them..
Subjugator still sucks. Two might not suck that much but that is already 500 points and this still would only work against Reavers, Warhounds and IG Super Heavies...
And EC still screams for AT or macro weapons.

Eldar army seems well balanced, but charad might have better opinion on this. However, Eldar AA is a bit sad - as with Orks. Of course much better than EC has... =]

Fearless rout rule is still fine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Eldar AA is SAD?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Soren @ Dec. 06 2007,20:51)
Eldar AA is SAD?

Yes when you compare to AA in, for example, IG.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If I remember right Cobra and Phantom also host AA abilities, even 6+ is better than nothing, specially if the enemy aircraft has 6+ or no save.