Login |  Register |  FAQ

Advice please - looking to buy a green wave army for a buddy

Post subject: Advice please - looking to buy a green wave army for a buddy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

I have a friend that I'd like to introduce to Epic, and I know he used to love his Ork 40k army.

I'm looking to buy him a force that meets the following criteria, but I don't even know which Ork list to use to do it, let alone which units :). Please help!
- Army based on large units of Orks that swarm up the field and kill stuff
- Mechanised is a big YES, but not interested in air assault
- Titans and Stompas, etc, are welcome but not so many they take the focus off of the Boyz!
- A list that is competitive and can be taken to tournaments without just getting stomped

I tried to do this a few years ago (for a different friend) when I first got into the game, but failed horribly.

Please help? It's this realistic, or do Ork lists only work well with a different skew? I hear skorchas and Lands are basically required, or has this changed?

Thanks for your time!

Colm

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Advice please - looking to buy a green wave army for a b
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you are trying to introduce the guy to Epic i would worry first of which type of army he likes more than about tournaments. There is also the fact that Orks in Epic do not work on the same way as in WH40k which can confuse new players.
But if you want to go that way, if you ditch the Titans from that list you could go with Speed Freks, if not Ghazghkull. Ferals for a beginner is not much good, for both sides of the board.
Speed Freks have no bad formations and Ghazghkull has only some sub-par so you have plenty of room to choose.

Speed Freks barely take Landas as the load choices are not that good, but Ghazghkull does take one or two most of the time. Still is not mandatory, and as long you can take some extra Fightas it pretty much counters it to some extent

Skorchas are powerful, yeah, and very assault oriented, but there has been plenty lists that won tournaments with Warbuggies instead and almost or no Skorcha, so i would not worry too much. Warbikes are Ok in some situations but not on par with the other two. Still you should choose some of Kult/Landa/Mechanized for assaults for tournaments. Just some of one type should be enough, no need to take all three types.

Of course this is for tournaments, Orks can take pretty much anything and not do too bad on casual playing, but some choices like all on foot army take a lot more experience to work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Might want to also check out Kyuss' Bad Moons list. It's a bit more modern orkish units and shooty (by desing).

Perhaps I am not too up on modern 40k but what exactly isn't Orkish in the Ghaz list in comparison to 40k?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Perhaps I am not too up on modern 40k but what exactly isn't Orkish in the Ghaz list in comparison to 40k?

I said that just in case. Nothing important, just the typical discussions which appears sometimes about: Warbands on foot do not work as the typical formation on tournaments for example, and also that there is also to consider that the charge shouting Waaaaaaagh! is just the final engage activation not the running for kilometers to the enemy.
There are some others, too, but minor, like units not having exactly the same toys or roles as in the latest WH40k universe: for example Stompas or Supa-Stompas not having transport to use to proxy Morkanauts, Gorkanauts and WH40k Stompas, Battlewagons not having Leman Russ equivalent stats with the transport of a Fortress or Fortress not having Imperial Super-Heavy equivalent stats like Kill Blastas and Kill Burstas.

jimmyzimms wrote:
It's a bit more [...] and shooty (by desing).

It is off-topic and just a curiosity, Jimmyzimms, but with the changes the MordotenRC made to the Battlewagons and Stompas the Ghazgkhull list has turned into a lot shootier one than before and opened several options to consider using. Stompas aside, Battlewagons are the shootiest of the Wagons, and now, for the same points, at 30cm way more than even Gunfortress.
Some examples which i am testing: http://traitor-legion.appspot.com/choos ... 5~510~71x4

Last edited by Abetillo on Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the advice guys.

The wish list would be loads of Boyz in Battlewagons (which are basically Trukks, right?) screaming up the field and being scary, supported by cool Orky stuff which can certainly include Titans, Stompas, vehicles and jets but just no Landas or air assaults please.

I've played a bit, but only as space marines and last time I bought random Ork bits on eBay and the army that resulted was awful to play.

I don't want to buy stuff that will have no hope if he brings it out into the wild.

It sounds like Ghaz has changed a bit recently - can you suggest a decent well-rounded 3000pt list based on what I've described above I could target to buy, please? Or let me know if this is a fools errand and really a competitive Ork list still needs to do air assaults. 25pt wagons (based on that link) sound like a step in the right direction but also still seems like a lot...

Sorry, I know I'm asking true a bit of spoon-feeding here, I hope you'll indulge me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As you have already been adviced, yea, ghaz is your best list.
Anyway battlewagons are not trukks, trukks can only be used by speed freekz, meaning battlewagons can deliver a ton of firepower, unlike trukks.

About the "air assault" It is not mandatory, it is just to much fun to do. Anyway is you use gargants you won't have space for landas, so not much to worry about. But usefighta bommas, they are really good.
One thing I would recommend you before playing 3k games is play minigeddon first, it is going to be really fun and will teach your friend a lot ;). I will think later a list with your requirements.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Primorko wrote:
As you have already been adviced, yea, ghaz is your best list.
Anyway battlewagons are not trukks, trukks can only be used by speed freekz, meaning battlewagons can deliver a ton of firepower, unlike trukks.

About the "air assault" It is not mandatory, it is just to much fun to do. Anyway is you use gargants you won't have space for landas, so not much to worry about. But usefighta bommas, they are really good.
One thing I would recommend you before playing 3k games is play minigeddon first, it is going to be really fun and will teach your friend a lot ;). I will think later a list with your requirements.

Thanks, I appreciate your time!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

WARBAND ('UGE) [550]
6 Nobz, 18 Boyz, 6 Grotz, Stompa

WARBAND (BIG) [350]
4 Nobz, 12 Boyz, 4 Grotz

WARBAND [275]
2 Nobz, 6 Boyz, 2 Grotz, 3 Battlewagon

STORMBOYZ WARHORDE [185]
6 Stormboyz, Deth Kopta

MEKBOY GUNZMOB ('UGE) [325]
15 Big Gunz

BLITZ BRIGADE [150]
4 Deth Kopta

KULT OF SPEED [200]
8 Skorcha

GARGANT [650]
2 Soopagun, Supa-Zzap Gun, Warlord

FIGHTA SKWADRON [150]
3 Fighta Bomba

FIGHTA SKWADRON [150]
3 Fighta Bomba

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

To see a huge archive of ghazgkhull lists used in the uk, go to here and select the army from the drop down:
http://epic-uk.co.uk/ukepicachampionship/albyr.php

Get some oddboyz in the big guns.