Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 46  Next

Gargant Big Mob list development

Post subject: Re: Gargant Big Mob list development.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For reference, the Bommer from E&C's old list:

Bommer
Type: AC
Speed: Bomber
Armour: 6+
CC: n/a
FF: n/a
Weapons:
Bommer Turrets - 15cm - D6x AP5+/AT6+/AA6+
Bomms - 15cm - D3+1BP, FxF
Notes: DC3, Transport: 6 Stormboyz units. Stormboyz units may disembark after the Bommer has made a Ground Attack and count as having activated for that turn.

There's quite a lot I think needs looking at:

- The transport capacity is pointless, since the list can't take Stormboyz formations.
- The type should be AC/WE in current convention.
- It's lacking a critical effect despite being a war engine.
- The weaponry seem too weak and random at 1-6 shots plus 2-4BP. Compare the Landa with 4-9 similar shots and the ability to launch air assaults.

Why not just start with a Landa profile, strip out the transport capacity and planetfall, and add some proper bombs? Something like:

'Eavy Bomma
Type: AC/WE
Speed: Bomber
Armour: 5+
CC: 6+
FF: 4+
Weapons:
Gun Turrets - 15cm - D6+3x AP5+/AA6+
2x Tankbusta Rokkits - 30cm - AT4+, FxF
Bomms - 15cm - D3+3BP, FxF
Notes: DC3, Reinforced Armour.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice Kadeton! I like it! But i think it's a tad too good for 200 points with that kind of firepower. A smaller nerf is needed i think.

And if it's a WE, can't it land then? I don't want any air units that can land in this list since that could help to get around the weakness of bring a slow moving list.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:04 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It can only land if it has transport

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Presumably at DC3 it is much bigger/longer than a FW thunderhawk then? That is indeed very big if so.

Or is it rather that it's big in the same way that the FW marauder is big compared to the SG model?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've personally ever seen the model myself...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
I've personally ever seen the model myself...
Onyx has one...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think it should be that tough, 2DC 5+ Reinforced. Or 3DC 5+ or 6+ non-reinforced. In Aeronautica it's tougher than a Marauder but less so than a Thunderhawk. Generally bombers aren't normally statted as tough as landers.

You've gone OTT with it's bomb capability too - in Aeronautica an Ork Bommer has exactly half the firepower of a Marauder Bomber (6 compared to 12). I'd keep the randomness but make the bombs D3 BP, D3+1 if you want to be generous.

Neither of the Bommerz in Aeronautica have any kind of rocket, so you should drop the tankbusta rockets to match the model.

Cost it at 175 then maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Doesn't look all that big to me. 2DC seems OK.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
I don't think it should be that tough, 2DC 5+ Reinforced. Or 3DC 5+ or 6+ non-reinforced. In Aeronautica it's tougher than a Marauder but less so than a Thunderhawk. Generally bombers aren't normally statted as tough as landers.

You've gone OTT with it's bomb capability too - in Aeronautica an Ork Bommer has exactly half the firepower of a Marauder Bomber (6 compared to 12). I'd keep the randomness but make the bombs D3 BP, D3+1 if you want to be generous.

Neither of the Bommerz in Aeronautica have any kind of rocket, so you should drop the tankbusta rockets to match the model.

Cost it at 175 then maybe.

Yeah, the bombs were just a rough guess based on what kind of firepower would be 'equivalent value' to a Landa's transport ability, and weighed against the 6BP of a Marauder squadron. D3+1BP seems a bit lackluster to me - why not take the same points of Fighta-Bommas instead, and do more damage?

Not fussed about dropping the rokkits, they're just there because the Landa has them. If you took them out though, it might be nice to add an AT value for the turret guns back in?

Kyrt wrote:

Looks exactly the same size as a 3DC Landa to me, but the big wings probably make it flimsier.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kadeton wrote:
Kyrt wrote:

Looks exactly the same size as a 3DC Landa to me, but the big wings probably make it flimsier.

That's not a fair comparison to base stats on - the Ork Bommer is a 'truescale' FW model (i.e. the same scale as the infantry, vehicles, ect in the game), while the Ork Landa is a GW metal flyer - which were all a fair bit scaled smaller than the ground models - and no way large enough a model to realistically fit the 70 infantry inside it.

I found a shot of the truescale FW Thunderhawk next to the GW metal Thunderhawks to illustrate there's quite a bit of difference between truescale and non-truescale epic models:

I use truescale flyers and would never use the GW Landa model, much too small and weedy looking! Troublemaker Games produced a decent proxy for a truescale Landa, the Droghur Shuttle. I couldn't find a side to side comparison of the two Landas but the Droghur is 9.5cm long with 7cm wingspan and you can see here it's a fair bit bigger.

In conclusion if looking at a truescale Landa next to the truescale Bommer the Bommer would look a fair bit smaller and less bulky, hence 2DC being more fitting.

kadeton wrote:
Not fussed about dropping the rokkits, they're just there because the Landa has them. If you took them out though, it might be nice to add an AT value for the turret guns back in?

Despite what you'd prefer the Bommerz clearly don't have rokkits in their rules or models and it wouldn't be a good idea to invent some in the epic stats. Also the models have multiple Heavy Shootas at distinct arcs too rather than gun turrets like on a Landa. We should model the actual models fairly accurately and then cost and tweak it appropriately from there.

It doesn't have to cost 200, the single 2DC Heavy Marauder Bomber in the Death Korps of Krieg list costs 150 for comparison. This would have the same 2DC and 5+ save but reinforced armour so being a fair bit tougher, so weaker attacks being fine. I suggest:

Ork Bommer WE/AC Bomber 5+
Bombs 15cm D3 BP
2 x Twin Heavy Shoota 15cm AP4+/AA4+, FxF
Heavy Shoota 15cm AP5+/AA5+, Left
Heavy Shoota 15cm AP5+/AA5+, Right
Notes: Reinforced Armour, 2DC, critical: bombs explode and it is destroyed.

Cost: either 150 or 175.

Might be an idea to have them 0-1 per Fighta Bommer formation so you don't get anyone maxing out on as many Bommerz as they can fit in to their 1/3 which could be even more challenging for the opponents to deal with than the contentious maxed out Fighta-Bommerz lists.

Last edited by GlynG on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG speaks the truth. In addition, bending the list to out of production models vs what's fun and balanced is the tail wagging the dog. :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:15 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Question for you about the supa-stomp upgrades:
The mega choppa on the gargants is -25pts relative to the soopaguns but its costed the same on the supa-stompas. Is this intentional?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, the supa-stompa is supposed to be a set price. You get some freedom to choose but not like with the Gargants.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
GlynG speaks the truth. In addition, bending the list to out of production models vs what's fun and balanced is the tail wagging the dog. :)

I'm so confused. Isn't that what Glyn is doing?

GlynG wrote:
In conclusion if looking at a truescale Landa next to the truescale Bommer the Bommer would look a fair bit smaller and less bulky, hence 2DC being more fitting.

Despite what you'd prefer the Bommerz clearly don't have rokkits in their rules or models and it wouldn't be a good idea to invent some in the epic stats.

Also the models have multiple Heavy Shootas at distinct arcs too rather than gun turrets like on a Landa.

We should model the actual models fairly accurately and then cost and tweak it appropriately from there.

I'm not disagreeing with any of his conclusions, but that sounds exactly like "bending the list to out of production models" to me. My suggestions are all based on "What would I pay for in a Bommer instead of taking more Fighta-Bommas?" I couldn't care less about AI rules or GW models, I just want something that's a viable alternative.

GlynG wrote:
The Ork Bommer is a 'truescale' FW model (i.e. the same scale as the infantry, vehicles, ect in the game), while the Ork Landa is a GW metal flyer - which were all a fair bit scaled smaller than the ground models - and no way large enough a model to realistically fit the 70 infantry inside it.

Fair enough. I know nothing about the models, all my fliers are proxied. I was just going off the only comparison shot provided. Good to know!

GlynG wrote:
I use truescale flyers and would never use the GW Landa model, much too small and weedy looking! Troublemaker Games produced a decent proxy for a truescale Landa, the Droghur Shuttle.

Yep, those are the ones I use. They're awesome. :)

TBH, they're probably also what I would use to proxy Bommers, regardless of what the Bommer's final stats look like, simply because I already have them.

GlynG wrote:
Despite what you'd prefer the Bommerz clearly don't have rokkits in their rules or models and it wouldn't be a good idea to invent some in the epic stats.

Sorry, might not have been clear - I don't care whether the model has rokkits, or any particular set of weaponry. I just want whatever weaponry it has to be good enough that I'll bother to take it.

GlynG wrote:
Also the models have multiple Heavy Shootas at distinct arcs too rather than gun turrets like on a Landa. We should model the actual models fairly accurately and then cost and tweak it appropriately from there.

Okay, though I think this is "tail wagging the dog" as jimmyzimms mentioned. I'd rather have something that was fun and balanced foremost, and matched the models as a secondary concern - I don't have the models anyway, so that doesn't matter to me. However, other people do, so I'm fine with getting it as close as possible.

Personally, I hate individually arced weaponry, and enjoy the fact that Ork planes don't have it in general, but if you can make it work effectively I can learn to live with it.

GlynG wrote:
I suggest:

Ork Bommer WE/AC Bomber 5+
Bombs 15cm D3 BP
2 x Twin Heavy Shoota 15cm AP4+/AA4+, FxF
Heavy Shoota 15cm AP5+/AA5+, Left
Heavy Shoota 15cm AP5+/AA5+, Right
Notes: Reinforced Armour, 2DC, critical: bombs explode and it is destroyed.

Cost: either 150 or 175.
Isn't AA4+ some kind of red flag? I vaguely recall that was meant to be reserved for super-rare dedicated-aircraft-killing stuff according to conventional wisdom. Is it okay here because it's a bomber and can't intercept?

I want to be clear: I think you're heading in a good direction. My fundamental concern - and I know I keep harping on this - is that I can't see why anyone would take that instead of three Fighta-Bommas. All I really care about in list building is making as many options viable as possible - FBs (to my mind) have far too many advantages over your Bommer (armour-killing power, manoeuvrability, interception, etc).

If you've got some insights into why an army would replace some FBs with Bommers (i.e. in what situations they're 'better' or at least equal) that would be really helpful. I'm still learning the deeper subtleties of the game, so there are sometimes aspects that I overlook.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry kadeton, that was terribly written. I'm saying the GlynG is correct that those two models are built to different scales (GW roughly 1/500 vs FW doing 1/300 and even then there's plenty if fudging). Using the two models relative sizes to debate DC is therefore nonsensical imho.

A totally separate point was that AV vs WE, 2DC vs 3DC, is more important on the list feel and balance and that ignoring the models, especially now they're OOP is probably a better route. I have no feeling about what approach is taken for the unit (no horse in the race). I can see how my lack of an carriage return really didn't give the segue I was intending. :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 46  Next