Login |  Register |  FAQ

Orks for Minigeddon to be built up to full NetEA size

Post subject: Orks for Minigeddon to be built up to full NetEA size
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm planning on doing the Tale of an Epic Gamer painting thing for 2015 and am working on making a plan for what to include.

I want to start with a force that is suitable for Minigeddon (1000 point games) and then add to it so I can play a full point game of NetEA. I've not played with the rules yet so don't know for sure what is smart to include.

Based on what I think looks cool, I've come up with the following:

Minigeddon List
Warband - Normal size + 2 Kill Kans
Stompa Mob - Normal
Blitz Brigade - Normal size + Gun Fortress

NetEA List
Stompa Mob - Big size + Supa Stompa
Blitz Brigade - Big size + Gun Fortress
Blitz Brigade - Big size + Gun Fortress
Gunzmob - Big size

I would appreciate your thoughts?

http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Orks for Minigeddon to be built up to full NetEA size
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

looking at your lists, they look pretty slow to me.... get some kults of speed in there and something to move your boyz mobs around in.... battlewagons, battlefortresses, landas etc......

there is a good tactica in the ork section on this site, I'd suggest including some zzap brigades (blitz brigade with 2 flakkwagons, 2 gunwagons and a super zzap oddboy), dethkoptas if you can get your hands on some, and plenty of skorchas or similar for kults of speed

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll look for the tactica. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is mobility more important than numbers?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warbands are good for being hard to shift. They have the numbers to take a beating, and the Nobz to shed blast markers. I'd go for both tough core units like a warband and a fast unit for mobility.

I'd suggest putting your Killa Kans in the same formation. Due to how the rules work for shooting at infantry and vehicles it can be hazardous to have just a few vehicles in a unit. Maybe even put the Killa Kans in the Stompa mob - they can hide behind the tougher Stompas while beefing the unit size up, so you can take advantage of the Mob Rule.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

tgjensen wrote:
Warbands are good for being hard to shift. They have the numbers to take a beating, and the Nobz to shed blast markers. I'd go for both tough core units like a warband and a fast unit for mobility.

I'd suggest putting your Killa Kans in the same formation. Due to how the rules work for shooting at infantry and vehicles it can be hazardous to have just a few vehicles in a unit. Maybe even put the Killa Kans in the Stompa mob - they can hide behind the tougher Stompas while beefing the unit size up, so you can take advantage of the Mob Rule.

Thanks for the insights.

Should I skip the Stompamob in the Minigeddon list and add another warband or another Blitz brigade?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally I see Minigeddon a bit like an introductory game to proper E:A, so I'd steer away from taking multiples of the same unit, I think - or at least outfit them differently. A Warband in Battlewagons might be nice, for example. My own preferences run towards getting my units stuck in fast, so I might also go for a Kult of Speed of some Stormboyz.

All that said, Warbands and Stompamobz are nice, durable formations that are tough to move. A core of a warband and a Stompamob with 4 killa kans sounds good to me. Kinda slow, but very dangerous to get close to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In general units are best as single type as mentioned. So infantry on their own can't get hit by AT fire. in terms of a scaled up army think can you get a credible force to the enemy bitz by turn 3? I.e. cross the board. With only a few fast units it might be difficult.
Are you wedded to those units? For example with 1 battlefortress and 2 gunfortresses you could transport one of you infantry formations.
With the blitz formations and the big guns I find upgrading them with oddboy weapons is very effective.
Other things to consider is flak - you have no way to fight airplanes. I tend to make half my blitz brigades flak wagons and I have some of my own air. A 5-6 strong formation of fighta bombers can fly though enemy flak and take out nasty enemy AV units like artillery. Likewise orc landas are fun acked with boyz and sent in to air assault the enemy...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Flyers aren't permitted in Minigeddon though, are they?

But for sure, when you upgrade to regular Epic flak is a must and Ork flyers are quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a game last night with the following, which beat an AMTL list . . .
650 Gargant
500 'Uge Warband
350 Big Warband
200 Warband
350 'Uge Blizt brigade (12x Gunzwagons)
350 'Uge Blizt brigade (12x Gunzwagons)
300 Stompa mob (+3x Killa kans)
150 Mekboy Gunz mob (6x Gunz)
150 Fighta Bombas

The Gunz garrison in terrain (ruins for preference) to act as a tripwire force;
The Warbands take ground supported by the Stompa Mob and Gargant - being carefull to keep something back to guard / contest the Blitz;
The Blitz Brigades stay together on the least defended flank looking to take out enemy armour / titans, while making a dash for the Blitz.

A list that plays well 'in the face' of the opponent, so move forward as aggressively as possible while making good use of terrain to minimise enemy air and ground fire where possible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@the_real_chris: I'm not stuck on anything in this force. I am limited by the units I have available, but quite frankly, I have a large collection with a decent variety of models. I have several Gunfortresses, but no Battlefortresses.

@tgjenson: I don't think air is allowed in minigeddon either, but I forgot to add it in for the scaled up force. I've got some flakwagons, but I will need to get some models before adding air.

@ginger. That looks like an nice list. I might rework my list and make it match up to that one. I'm not sure I want to add a Gargant yet. I think I want 3000 points without a gargant and then add that as an option later. Thoughts on that?

Again, thanks for the help with my army design.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have a Great Gargent because they are both fun and cut down the amount of painting I needed to do :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I suspect opinion is divided between the Gargant and Super Stompa mob. It tends to depend on play style. The mob is weaker but can kick out a lot of fire at 45cm (depending on whether you arm for fire or assault).
On the Gargant I took 1x Supa-Zapp and 2x Supa gunz giving a good fire power to support the warbands, rather than the assault version which tends to be unable to get into CC (unless the enemy lets it , which is usually bad anyway :) )

Either way, I suggest that you need to get something bigger than the 'Uge warband, which should be advanced as aggressively as possible at the heart of the enemy (doubling - rather than marching . . .). It can absorb a huge amount of firepower and still keep going, providing you spread the Nobs and keep the Grotz back from the front edge (they are needed for assaults).