Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Bad Moons list v1.0

Post subject: Re: Bad Moons list v1.0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:06 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Just checked and oddboys are still an upgrade to stompas?

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
Just checked and oddboys are still an upgrade to stompas?

Doh! You're right, not sure how I missed that. :-(

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
Jon wrote:
Since any ork list is available (not just epic uk) the bad moonz list has potential for sillyness

Not my intent, please can you post your thoughts on how to avoid broken builds in the list development thread?

I suspect Jon’s referring to the lack of 1/3 restrictions for Aircraft and Gargants, making it possible to run the infamous Fighta Bommer Flying Cirkus again, but with the benefit of the Tellyporta.

I’d not spotted it due to not tending to take aircraft, and playing the BM list purely casually.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That (flying circus) hasn't been lost completely though has it?

It is still possible to run that same build using the Ghaz list (albeit dropping the dedicated Speed Freaks SC model)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Both EpicUK and NetEA Ghaz lists have a 1/3 restriction, but in the EpicUK version it’s a bit invisible because it’s one of the bullets under ‘Using the Army List’ instead of being a split in the layout.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The sillyness I was referring to was the potential for messing around with the telly-porta. Prior to 1.04 there was no actual limitation for the number of models - it was merely what could be crammed into a 10cm radius. This has been curbed slightly by the limitation of 20 models.

There's still potential for comedy - 5 units of meganobz would be 20 models, and would probably fit in the 10cm radius.

Similarly, the cheapest boyz unit (10 models) can add any number of dreads. So could have 10 dreads. Since dreads are vehicles, they dont require bases, and therefore can be fitted easily into the deployment circle.

As its written, the 20 model limit is per turn, so presumably if I wanted a totally dumb option, I could have 3 units and do this turns 1,2, and 3. Yes its 1650pts tied up in 3 units, but its also 30 teleporting dreadnoughts + hangers on

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:36 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

IJW Wartrader wrote:
kyussinchains wrote:
Jon wrote:
Since any ork list is available (not just epic uk) the bad moonz list has potential for sillyness

Not my intent, please can you post your thoughts on how to avoid broken builds in the list development thread?

I suspect Jon’s referring to the lack of 1/3 restrictions for Aircraft and Gargants, making it possible to run the infamous Fighta Bommer Flying Cirkus again, but with the benefit of the Tellyporta.

I’d not spotted it due to not tending to take aircraft, and playing the BM list purely casually.

Argh! There is still a 1/3 restriction on aircraft, gargants and spacecraft

Also on the tellyporta, please stress test it, if it's stupid then we make it once per game or something

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My concern with the teleporta is compare it to other methods of turning up:

Teleporting units for most armies are small units - 4 terminators, 5 lictors, 6 mandrakes etc etc. They're not big units, and they're generally only infantry.

Larger units coming in (tunnelers/drop pods) need to declare the turn they're arriving, pre plan the location, and then usually pay for spaceship etc.

This teleporta seems to have the advantages of flexibility (no pre planned, no turn declared), while being able to bring in large units, all for a one off 50pts.

I think the concern is less being able to send a bunch of boyz, more being able to ram 10 dreads through it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had a game against them.

Initial thoughts:
The army can pack a lot of firepower, has a lot of 4+ RA, and is fast enough. Not a problem, but makes it different to the usual ork shooting

The killbursta seems a little too good. The effective range is 80cm (double + 30). Because it's a barrage it doesn't have the usual orky 6/7+ to hit and instead uses a standard chart. The IC mitigates the ork need to double.

Its cheap, fast, very well armoured, hits like a truck and isnt subject to any limitations (nor does it compete with planes). Its only real downside is that if it breaks its hard to rally and its non fearless.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey long time reader, first time poster.

I've played a couple of games with the 1.4 bad moons list. I really like it. Still recognisably Orky, but, less numerous more resilient and better at firefight.

I played the following list both times

Gargant (warlord) BTS
Warband + 4 boys & grots +1 Mega Nobz Upgrade
2 * Kill Burstas
1 * Kill Bursta
1 * Kill Bursta
1 * Kill Blasta + 6 Flakwaonz
Big Stompa warband
Big Stompa Warband
Fighta Sqwadron
Fighta Sqwadron

First game was against a Tyranid all infantry horde, with teleporting lictors and garrisoned Stealers all over the place. It was a really optimum match up for the bad moon list and I won.
Opponent placed objectives quite deep, but i daisy chained my stompas pretty much up to the halfway line still and garrisoned them in overwatch. They were able to be very aggressive and a real handful that far forward. the kill burstas threat range of 80 is already pretty solid, but the flakwagonz in the one unit could throw that out another 10cms and that helped prime deep striking lictors and garisoned stealers. Singleton Kill Burstas were really strong and able to tag team by doubling and then engaging in a firefight with supporting fire and cause carnage against the nid infantry.

Second game was an Astartes list with lots of teleporting terminators and assualt marines in Thawks. 2 units of Termies telported right behind my stompas, but the stompas overwatched when they were assaulted and then won the combat and took out 6 stands, the stompas also broke due to casualties but earned their points back and rallied in the end phase. I had no answer to the warhounds which were a pain. I couldn't hit a hive wall with the gargant and everything else didn't have the range or speed to engage. the kill burstas were much less effective tag teaming when up against 4+ saves in FF. Generally speaking I had a lot more trouble against marines than the nids, but got lucky on a couple of swing combats (the teleporting termies by rights should have munched my stompas, but my overwatch and then combat rolls were spectacular). Assault marines in thwaks chose their combats poorly and I came out on top. The marines didn't really have the reach to prime any assault targets. They got committed early because my opponent was collapsing. Didn't help and i won pretty convincingly.

Would agree that the kill burstas are strong overall, they're fairly robust, but warhounds ruined them. I'd imagine eldar, Tau, guard (the thought of a couple of loan shadowswords make me queasy) and other shooty builds would wreck their day. Lots of different things could be done to nerf them if it was necessary, but i'd say 5+ FF (it's a big gun but hard to aim precisely when things get close?) or a drop to move 20cm would see me think more carefully about whether I want a bursta or a blasta. IC is a nice thing for Orks to have a go on.

I have some flashgitz and dredds in the production queue that i'm itching to try (i want a go at telporting), and i want to build some morkanauts and more oddboy stompas to see if I can do anything about enemy armour as well which i've been luck enough to not have to worry about yet...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the feedback there Dethen.

How did you find the Warband performed/what sort of role did they play in these matchups?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Playtest planned for this weekend. Will be using the 1.04 list with the following tweaks:

1. Speed of Kill Burstas dropped to 20cm
2. No IC on the Uge Kannon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played my first game with the Bad Moon list. Here is a very brief summary.

Will hold off judgment on specific units until I have completed another couple of games though.

Played vs Mike . Used 1.04 with following tweaks:
    No IC on the Kill Bursta
    Drop Bursta speed down to 20cm

Lists

Incompertus, 2955 POINTS
Blood Angels (Epic-UK v070414)
==================================================

DEATH COMPANY [425]
4 Death Company unis, plus Transport, Chaplain, Death Company Dreadnought

ASSAULT [250]
6 Assault units

BAAL PREDATORS [350]
4 Baal Predators, Hunter

LAND SPEEDER [230]
2 Land Speeder, 3 Typhon

LAND SPEEDER [200]
5 Land Speeder

LANDING CRAFT [350]
1 Landing Craft

TERMINATOR [450]
4 Terminator units, Supreme Commander

TERMINATOR [350]
4 Terminator units

THUNDERHAWK [200]
1 Thunderhawk gunship

THUNDERBOLTS [150]
2 Thunderbolt Fighters

Orks
3x Fighta Sqwadron
Bommer

2x Kill Blasta, 2x flakwagon
2x Kill Bursta, flakwagon
2x Kill Bursta, flakwagon

Meganobz (5)
Meganobz (5)

Warband
5 Dread
1 Meganob upgrade (SC)

Walker Mob (BTS)
3x Stompas
5x Mega Dread
1x Flakwagon

tellyporta

Summary

Marines really struggled in this game. Having a low T1 activation count (2x Termies held back for T2, and 3 formations loaded up in aircraft meant that the Blood Angels struggled to get any momentum going.
Aided by some utterly shocking dice rolls, the Orks were able to survive the Death Company/Thunderhawk and Landing Craft/Preds/Assault marines air attacks with almost zero casualties.
Having a large activation advantage meant that the Bad Moons were able to concentrate return fire, and by the end of T1 the Marines had lost their Thunderhawk & BTS Death Co, and the Assault Marines, Predators & one formation of Speeders were all broken.

T2 saw both sets of Terminators come in, although the Marines were heavily out activated by this point, and unable to blunt the Ork attack. More poor dice saw the Terminators reduced to a single stand over the course of their two assaults, the Landing Craft failed to activate, while the Orks concentrated on wiping out the broken survivors of the other formations.

T3 was a something of a mopping up exercise, with the Marines unable to prevent the Orks from adding Blitz and T&H to the BTS. The Landing Craft parked itself on the Ork Blitz and refused to die, resulting in a 3-1 victory for the Orks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:39 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

So Reedar, what felt good/bad about the bad moons? Happy to drop IC from the main gun on killbursta, and speed reduction

Anything else? I'm actively trying to get back into playing and development

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good to have you back!

Have you seen the trial Epic UK version of the list that’s been playtesting? It’s closely based on your list but with some changes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next