Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Non-Silver Tower Tzeentch Daemon Engines?

Post subject: Re: Non-Silver Tower Tzeentch Daemon Engines?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not sure the list needs a ground based daemon but...

"Palanquin of the Sorcerers?"
"Scarab Barge?" ala Jabba the Hutt's pleasure barge. It could be a ground-based skimmer.

Of course you could also use Zombo's Necron Obelisk mini. You could easily convert it with iconography etc if you didn't like it as basic.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those are some MOFO FUGLY MOFOs !!!!! :o Yeech !!! :o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

frogbear wrote:
I personally think the insectoid path for Tzeentch is going in the wrong direction.

I did like the idea of anything egyption - so scarab (yes insectoid I know) is kind of in the right direction in my view. I would also look to the Egyptian pantheon for ideas on shapes and designs.

Agreed ... and I like Egyptian stuff !!! ;D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I did this awhile back ... Image Damn ... blurry !! Like so many other UFO pics !!! :-[ Must have been moving too fast !!! ;D http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/ ... %20Desert/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:30 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Brainstorming is about throwing ideas out first. Worry about vetting them later.

Legion 4 wrote:
I did this awhile back ...

What did you use for the non-Banetower bitz? They would be very useful for making the various Silver Tower variants in the Thousand Sons list.

Dobbsy wrote:
I'm not sure the list needs a ground based daemon but...

This isn't for a particular list. It would need to go in a list with relatively little background, like a new L&D or a daemon world list or maybe some freaky renegade SM list. It's definitely not for Thousand Sons.

frogbear wrote:
I personally think the insectoid path for Tzeentch is going in the wrong direction.

It's not my first preference, but it is in keeping with the style the GW and FW studios seem to be going. All the daemon engine concept drawings which came out 3-4 years ago and all the items released since have that segmented, carapace look to them.

frogbear wrote:
I did like the idea of anything egyption - so scarab (yes insectoid I know) is kind of in the right direction in my view. I would also look to the Egyptian pantheon for ideas on shapes and designs.

The Tzeenth-Egyptian connection seems to be limited to Thousand Sons in particular. I'm not opposed to Egyptian-themed ideas but I want to go as broad as possible in generating ideas. Some Aztec stuff could fit as well, both as stepped pyramid/ziggurat style and ripping some of the WFB Lizardman meso-American ideas, like the floating Slann platforms.

Dobbsy wrote:
"Palanquin of the Sorcerers?"

What do you have pictured for this? I'm a little hesitant for it to be a literal palanquin, but I might see some sort of open-topped vehicle hauling a cabal of psykers around. Or a figurative palanquin with the "king" being some sort of large-ish weapon system. Or even something really big like the Cathedral/Fortress/CI being called a "palanquin" as a sort of ironic joke.

Dobbsy wrote:
"Scarab Barge?" ala Jabba the Hutt's pleasure barge. It could be a ground-based skimmer.
KriegXXIX wrote:
Heh heh, the [winged horror] looks is not for everyone, but I think it hits the spot as far as outlandishness is concerned.
BlackLegion wrote:
Something like a floating, mechanical Dunkleosteus woul dbe very fitting for Tzeentch.

A lot of similar ideas here in terms of a big, floating vehicle. That seems to be a recurring theme and, based on GWs take on Tzeentch in both fantasy it definitely fits. So, I think it's really about what kind of style fits.

Ogre44 wrote:
What about re-purposing models from other ranges.
Tzeentch disk= big flying saucer
Screamer = skywhale type creature

I think creating a daemon engine that has a clear and relatively easy conversion process is a great idea. Historically, the execution of things that started from that goal has been terrible (like the early 90s Khorne Blood Slaughterer that was cobbled together - blech), so the trick is making sure you have a good concept to go with the easy conversion.

Both of these could definitely go with the floating engine theme we have going. Do you have ideas to make them fit with the mechanical construct style?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:49 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Some sort of weaponized pandora's box thigny, a floating tzeentch magic cube (or whatever) pulled into battle by screamers and belching out tendrils of warp?

Or a collection of floating golden rings/bands that act as warp portals for a vast warp entity, too big to materialise as a hole but which can project say, a hand through the hoop, or a wing, or a claw; swopping which ring it projects parts through to suite the situation. Im thinking like the portals you see in sci-fi/fantays films where you can walk round the back and ti seems not to be there, but you can still see someone step out of it. Just a collection of them floating around in a group, with different bits of a giant warp gribbly popping in and out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think skimming AV's and WE's would be the way to go. It seems to be Tzeentch's "thing" compared to the others 3 Chaos Gods. I do think the idea of cabals on open top vehicles would fit as a "low side" AV, and the larger sized skimming AV/WE's could represent the "high side" of Tzeentch's minions. Other stylistic inspirations could be some of the robots from Animatrix from the wars with humans. They have several floating attack variants that could work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Found this:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I rather like that first one, BL.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What about a blatant rip-off of eye of sauron from LotR? You could have a tracked/legged/floating seige-toweresque vehicle with a big, swirly balefire ball suspended above it.

Also, what about that praying mantis conversion someone did from the defiller kit, what chaos god was that affiliated with? I mean, a praying mantis could be tzeenchy.

Another way to approach the problem is to let form follow function: what battlefield roles are you looking for.

For indirect fire artillary, Khorne has the doom blaster, nurgle has the contagion. What would Tzeench use for a similar effect? I would imagine it would involve something that would rain fire. I shudder to think about what Slaanesh would use for similar artillary.

The trick is coming up with something more compelling than a shape-shifting blob.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nealhunt wrote:
Ogre44 wrote:
What about re-purposing models from other ranges.
Tzeentch disk= big flying saucer
Screamer = skywhale type creature

I think creating a daemon engine that has a clear and relatively easy conversion process is a great idea. Historically, the execution of things that started from that goal has been terrible (like the early 90s Khorne Blood Slaughterer that was cobbled together - blech), so the trick is making sure you have a good concept to go with the easy conversion.

Both of these could definitely go with the floating engine theme we have going. Do you have ideas to make them fit with the mechanical construct style?

Do you really need to change anything?
Disks and Skyshark type creatures are extremely well established in the Tzeentchian mythos.
Why couldn't they grow to enormous size and manifest on the battlefield as-is?

Granted the current disk is HUGE for a war-engine, but the older ones are reasonably sized, and the Screamers aren't all that big.

If you wanted to change them up a bit mechanical tendrils or bits from the new horror kit could be added.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nealhunt wrote:
Brainstorming is about throwing ideas out first. Worry about vetting them later.

Legion 4 wrote:
I did this awhile back ...

What did you use for the non-Banetower bitz? They would be very useful for making the various Silver Tower variants in the Thousand Sons ... ]
I used the old OOP 40K scale Mechanoid Disc as the base and the rest were from MO'W bits ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the praying mantis is a Stalk Tank, which is loosely affiliated with Khorne

my problem with a giant screamer is that it wouldnt be a daemon engine, but a huge-ass daemon, and should probably be yet another flier. I like the Eye Of Sauron style idea, but why does it need to be mobile? necrons get quite successful immobile war engines...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Ogre44 wrote:
Do you really need to change anything?
Disks and Skyshark type creatures are extremely well established in the Tzeentchian mythos.

I suppose you don't have to. I was just asking if you had ideas that would easily make them more consistent with other daemon engine styling. Otherwise, pure organic is a pretty radical departure and there is still going to be a problem with making them look to scale when you plop them on a board with 6mm figures.

semajnollisor wrote:
What about a blatant rip-off of eye of sauron from LotR? You could have a tracked/legged/floating seige-toweresque vehicle with a big, swirly balefire ball suspended above it.

You know, I've been thinking about doing that with a Warlord titan. IIRC, Black Legion did a conversion with a big, floating eye over the carapace. From this description I picture something like a Necron monolith - style the body to be more chaos-ish and put a floating/flaming eye over it in place of the crystal. Is that what you had in mind?

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
a giant screamer ... a huge-ass daemon, and should probably be yet another flier.

What about a Support Craft daemon engine? We've got the rules fairly well established for Tau and Dark Eldar. It would seem to fit stylistically with the floaty-thing idea.

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
Eye Of Sauron style idea, but why does it need to be mobile? necrons get quite successful immobile war engines...

Hmmm... teleporting something in like a Pylon might be cool. Any ideas for expanding that concept?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Since a common Tzeentch motif is the ability to fly, and be mobile, I don't think something that's static (The antithesis of Change) would be appropriate for a Tzeentch War Engine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next