Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Chaos Squats Army List

Post subject: Re: Chaos Squats Army List
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
hmmm kollossus proxy in the guise of a massive chaos squat zepplin ...

Stop it! I did have an idea for a zepplin, however I thought it would go down like (excuse the pun) a lead balloon..... :D

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As I don't have that AT-43 Colossus yet, what size is it actually? From what I've seen, shouldn't it rather be a Reaver equivalent?
So that there would be a reason to have a huge zeppelin as a warlord equivalent? :x

At least I wouldn't mind dropping the lord of battles, because I just don't feel it fits the army list. Like when you get Sauerkraut with Nürnberger sausage and mashed potatoes and then someone serves you a pizza. Pizza is good, but it just doesn't fit in with the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kollossus (priced at 800) was meant as the 'Warlord' equivilent.

I guess you can model it for Reaver size being more squat yet more robust. No rules preventing you there.

I have no problem with taking out all the Khorne items as items in there could be similar and show a similarity (as do the Engines of Hashvaht). Already the 'Death Dealers' are a representation of a pre-daemon engine - the shell if you will. I could just rename it if people felt it was needed.

There is nothing to state that a list must have a mid ranged titan, nor is there any reason why a list could not have 4 titans with 2 being the 'warlord size' (Kollossus and Zepplin) as the one third restriction would still exist.

So come up with some ideas on a mid ranged titan (maybe similar to the LoB) and a Zepplin (what would it be armed with, what would it do, and what potential stats would you see them having), and we can go from there.

Cheers......

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:58 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Zepplin could be reaver size really, a DC8 Zepplin is a bit chunky, although if it was Ar5+ maybe, it was just that with the stats that are in the list currently, the kollosus was best suited.

Squats get the airship, airships are comparatively low-tec, so i can see this being something the CS could keep and build on post fall. Non-war role could be something like geological surveying from the air, searching for the best mineral deposits/mining sites, it could carry lot of survey gear. Combat role could be AA, bombs and mortar/rorcket platform, maybe some special rule to represent intelligence/EWAR capability from all its scanning gear.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good point, it could be Reaver size. DC6, Reinforced Armour (more due to having to shoot up high with your weapons rather than representing armour), Thick Rear Armour, Skimmer and Transport(8) - being Chaos Squats, Annihalators or Obsidian Guard.

Perhaps a move of 30cm, AR4 (as suggested), and a 4+FF.

Weaponry
- AA: I like that idea. Probably 30cm range as it is not dedicated?
- Other weaponry could be 4 or 6 Battlecannons - 75cm AP4/AT4
- barrage weaponry within 30cm (?) - 6BP, Slow (ignore cover?, disrupt?)

Possible restrictions
- A restriction that unless it lands (thereby having a MV of 0 for assault purposes), it cannot contest objectives.
- It may never make a March move.
- Always 'popped up' - can always be fired upon and may only use terrain as 'hull down' rather than for hiding behind.

Cost
Depending on restrictions (if any) and range of weaponry (as above or more), and effect of weaponry (what special rules), anywhere from 350 - 550 points I am guessing.

It's a Zepplin. I thought that alone would cause a rush of responses.... c'mon people, have some input to make this cool unit a reality ;)

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:32 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Sorry i ninja edited the Ar4+ before you replied, meant that if it was DC8 Ar4+ was too much, so would need to be Ar5+ if Dc8 was even considered. So DC6 AR4 makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Previewedit: ok, the idea is already squashed, oh well, I'll still post it O0

Oh, I was just wondering when I saw the model, I didn't want to say there has to be a Reaver equivalent, just giving an idea how to make room for the zeppelin. But I think you're right, there's no reason why there can't be two warlord equivalents.

I once used this one for a fun conversion Colden Compass Zeppelin. It had 4 Missile launchers, 7 twin autocannons, 4 twin battlecannos, 2 multilasers and two Hunter missile systems x)
I would like to post a picture, but the cam on my handy is rather bad :-\
Well, but I think you could still use that thing as a starting point for a conversion.
Well, my version is based on imperial weapons.

I have to go to a boring family birthday today, I'll have enough time to think about it there ;D

Btw. can the Damburi ride in the Hellbore (on a 2:1 basis?)? I was thinking about what list I'd like to play and the idea of a hellbore filled with a unit of damburi for a turn 3 Blitz-grab seems interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, then on to the new idea. I guess it definitely needs AA, because the list doesn't have a lot of places where doombanes can go.

Uhm, well, I have to go now *g*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ColonelWicked wrote:
Previewedit: ok, the idea is already squashed, oh well, I'll still post it O0

Oh, I was just wondering when I saw the model, I didn't want to say there has to be a Reaver equivalent, just giving an idea how to make room for the zeppelin. But I think you're right, there's no reason why there can't be two warlord equivalents.

Yep, just review the weapons and increase the DC and you have the Warlord class. We are just brainstorming here so nothing is in stone. So keep the ideas coming.

Quote:
I once used this one for a fun conversion Colden Compass Zeppelin.

That seems a little big for Epic being 20cm long. There must be other minis out there....

Quote:
I have to go to a boring family birthday today, I'll have enough time to think about it there ;D

*Looks at watch and taps foot*

Quote:
Btw. can the Damburi ride in the Hellbore (on a 2:1 basis?)? I was thinking about what list I'd like to play and the idea of a hellbore filled with a unit of damburi for a turn 3 Blitz-grab seems interesting.

Damburi are quite archaic and proud (well that was my version of them). They would never ride in any of the transports (in the list) offered to them.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

frogbear wrote:
That seems a little big for Epic being 20cm long. There must be other minis out there....

The lenght might seem scary at first, but it isn't that bad really, zeppelins simply are huge. For instance, the Hindenburg was 246,7 meters long, todays generation is about 75 meters long.
But you're right, it would be too big for a DC6 zeppelin.

Well reading about zeppelins durig WW1, their success was mainly due to binding a lot of opposing forces and being slowly advancing, unstoppable terror weapons.

And we have the following idea:
Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Non-war role could be something like geological surveying from the air, searching for the best mineral deposits/mining sites, it could carry lot of survey gear.

So, I had an idea what weapon should be on it, a Zhatara Cannon. When I first read your stats, i thought it's a gravitational gun that amplifies gravity like that strange gun from Gantz just klick, can't really describe, the hole already there (which would explain the combination of lance and ignore cover on one weapon).
The "weapon" was originally used to increase pressure in geologically interesting spots to create ores or crystals or whatever (I'm no geologist, so I don't have an idea wether this makes any sense or not xD ). By putting it on zeppelins, the CS are able to reach any place, no matter how diffucult to reach by normal travel, and do this from high up in the air.
Or it can be used as a weapon, and thus was mounted on the Rezhak.

Sometimes Zeppelins are refitted for war duty. This refit keeps the Zhatara Cannon and adds multiple smaller Doombein Mortars (together having the effect of either the normal Doombein from the Doombane the big one on the colossus) to protect against opposing aircraft.

Well, those were the general weapons, then I thought about the terror part. I had two main ideas, one being a big drill dropped from the zeppelin (single shot weapon with a big impact), that was originally meant to deliver whatever had been compressed, or drilling tentacles that could be used in close combat. But I'm not so sure about them.

Don't know if anything of this is any help at all, but maybe someone can be inspired by this to have better ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That Zeppelin is really going to be something when we finally decide rules for it :)

For the Zigganook, I have found this model (use as is or model from there):

It is a Furuta Chinook and is supposedly 7.5 cm long (as long as an EA Thunderhawk - so perfect!).

If you are lucky you can find them on ebay for ~US$6, so a good price for a WE model. I bought up 3 myself :P

Cheers.....

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

ColonelWicked wrote:
or drilling tentacles that could be used in close combat. But I'm not so sure about them.

I can't decide if a Zeppelin with drilling tentacles is amazingly awesome, or just too much, certainly and interesting image ;D

On the use of a pressure gun heat and pressure are used for the manufacture of synthetic diamonds (as well as more regular stuff like metamorphic rock) so bring on the CS bling ;D could have some sort of pressure cannon and metla cannon combo for heat/pressure i suppose :P Aside from that im not sure how it would work as a remote 'gun' on a concentrated area. Also if you apply geochemically significant amounts of pressure to just a small part of a mountain or rock formation not normally subject to such forces i imagine you might get problems.

I realise that Zeppelins are meant to be huge, but considering that the beetleback warlord is only 6cm tall, i think the zeppelin will have to be under 15cm long.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am taking these guys for a test run next week.

No idea what I am going to take as yet. It is going to be a 'counts as' force for now as my modelling and painting time is devoted to TOEG.

I am thinking that Gladiators should be a definite for the first game however...

Thoughts?

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:03 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

frogbear wrote:
Thoughts?

Well i played 2000pts of EC vs CS, vs myself last night (on a tiny board with limited range of minis)... and my conclusion is that vanilla CS detachments don't work well on overwatch ::) and that obsidian guard do indeed die very, very easily.

Was going to ask about a malork specific transport, but i suppose the Vedaj stats can be used and the minis adapted to look more orky.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Was going to ask about a malork specific transport, but i suppose the Vedaj stats can be used and the minis adapted to look more orky.

I did consider LV transports for these guys at one time.

Let me play a test game first as well.

Chaos Squat Detachments: I guess they have to be used effectively with available upgrades as they are pretty useless as they stand. I am thinking that Annihalators are a good upgrade for 2 overwatch formations (possibly even a Doombane to mess with opponent's flight plans).

Obsidian Guard: They really have to pick their target. Lance is mega cool vs Reinforced armour, and pretty much nothing vs all other armour. The options of either the Death Dealers (for pin pointing where they need to go), or tunneling (for objective grabbing) is where there guys are at IMO. My past games using a similar unit in a home based squat list gave an otherwise slow force the ability to get across a table, and using 'Resolute' to their advantage. They really shined however when my opponent took them against my Imperial Guard Baneblades and started destroying them piecemeal. From that moment, I saw how good they could be in used correctly. These guys are merely a clipping assault unit. Anything else and they are going to get hurt.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next