Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Death Guard discussion

Post subject: Death Guard discussion
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 15 Aug. 2009, 11:53 )

Why no armoured company? Ive used one for the last times I played and realy like to be able to use tanks and not pay for alot for marines riding around in them.

I still think it's more to the theme of nurgle. I would like to see if this works without it. Blight Drones supplant the problem of slow formations by itself.

I’m not so sure about that... blight drones are a nice addition, but since most of have no way of getting hold of blight drones, I'm not so sure they should be the only way to bring some speed, and the armoured company also brings some highly needed AT fire that the list right now is a little short of. A few land raiders and some cheep Predators helps that a lot.

Then I have one question about the pricing for havocs, you added 50 points per 4, this comes out as 12,5 points per unit, for this they gain the stubborn rule and 1 point in armour, this in comparison with a normal black legion havoc

But a Death Guard marine unit exchanges 1 auto cannon for 1 plasma gun attack, gains 1 armour and 1 CC and for this he pays only 6,25 points, again compared with a black legion marine.

So why should the havoc pay so much more for a lesser upgrade? Now I rate one plasma gun attack as good as an auto cannon attack, perhaps it should be a bit worse so the difference isn’t as big as they seem here. But should the havocs go down a few steps or the ordinary marines go up a bit?
Now this is only based on counting the values as they stand, and I think in my play testing that the death guard marines are priced quite right for what they do. And I thought that the havocs were quite right as they were before, but with auto cannons instead of plasma guns.

I’ll give them a test-drive within the week with the new numbers and abilities, but I just thought I should mention it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I too would like to see Armoured Company to return. I converted 7 Landraiders and 6 Predators when they were legal! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am not so sure that 'forgetting' a rule is reason enough to remove it from the game, especially as, in this case, if you forget to use Nurgles Rot it only benefits your opponent.

As to it having only a small effect? Well, yes, it does only have a small effect - but it can add greatly to the whole and the small effect could mean the difference between defeat and victory (it actually won me an assault in my game). The DG do not pack the punch of some Chaos Marines (particularly as they are a 'defensive assault' army) and the Nurgle's Rot can help to ifset some of that.

Perhapse I just fail to see where you are comming from, but the reasons stated for its removal simply do not justify doing so.
Perhapse you could enlighten me further and help me to understand what I fail to see?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (alakazam @ 15 Aug. 2009, 18:00 )

I am not so sure that 'forgetting' a rule is reason enough to remove it from the game, especially as, in this case, if you forget to use Nurgles Rot it only benefits your opponent.

As to it having only a small effect? Well, yes, it does only have a small effect - but it can add greatly to the whole and the small effect could mean the difference between defeat and victory (it actually won me an assault in my game). The DG do not pack the punch of some Chaos Marines (particularly as they are a 'defensive assault' army) and the Nurgle's Rot can help to ifset some of that.

Perhapse I just fail to see where you are comming from, but the reasons stated for its removal simply do not justify doing so.
Perhapse you could enlighten me further and help me to understand what I fail to see?

In all games I’ve played it hade very little impact or mostly no impact at all, it was just another rule to try to remember that didn’t give anything to the game. Sure sometimes it destroyed another unit, but mostly it was just an annoying thing that not me or my opponent found to be of use. I play epic for its relative simplicity and streamlined way; to add a rule that does mostly nothing is not what I seek.

For some people this might be exactly what they want from the guys in green but for me it's not.

This is why I liked having it removed, but at the same time I am sad that the rotening presence is not shown in any way, but I'd like it to be another way than the current rule.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not wanting to flog the dead donkey on this, but would you not roll CC attacks for Tanks because they 'have too little effect'?And you know that the Nurgle's Rot can be either CC or FF, right? Usually equates to more attacks than any accompanying Rhinos (and the Rot ignores cover to boot!)... *shrug*

Come up with something to better represent and I will happily use it. Until then, I for one will continue to use Nurgle's Rot - it just feels 'right' somehow...

Out of curiosity, is 'Lord I' still champion on this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A few nights ago I tried the new list out in a 2k game against IG and I must say, this configuration does not impress me… The main concern I have is that the core formation is too expensive. I only got 4 activations out of my army, 2 retinues, 1 heavy and 1 terminator formation and a few daemons, the retinues did have rhino transports and one upgrade each with 2 predators for one and extra plague marines for the other. The heavy didn’t have any upgrade and the terminators counted 4 bases to their number. I faced of against a mechanized IG army, with a russ formation, a mechanized infantry formation, a warhound, one battery of manticores, some rough riders and a thunderbolt wing.  

The game ended with a sound beating of the Nurgle forces after turn 3 by having most transports destroyed early in the game resulting in a rather slow force that got out manoeuvred by the imperial forces that took the objectives on my side while staying out of reach.  

The things I have to object to after this game is many the price for the support giving formation, and the fact that only one support choice is available for each such formation. No other army that I’ve seen has basic formation that costs so much, and have so few relative cheep options in the support choices.

I can’t see the point of allowing only 1 support choice per formation, I’ve seen no other army that has such a harsh restriction, I’ve probably not seen all, but most allow 2.

I don’t like the cost increase for the terminators, the black legion terminators gets their lord for free, why not Death Guard?

The heavy retinue I think is over priced now, the times I’ve played them with the old cost but with autocannons both me and my opponent thought they was quite right priced, and since they lost 1 point in CC and Nurgle’s Rot I think they should stay at 350 for a formation.

I do think that the change to Plague Zombies and the addition of blight drones is good choices, I’ve not used them, I don’t have any miniatures for the drones, and so far I’ve not found the points to spend on zombies, but with a more stable number they might be interesting to try out.

And I really do miss the armoured company, there is no serious AT fire in the army if you don’t get titans and they should not be the only thing with AT capabilities.

This is my thought of the latest take on the Death Guard, and while it’s better than the last one posted by Lord I. So it moving in the right direction, but not quite there yet in my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tilioch

I have not played the force, however the force appears almost comparable to the World Eater list that I am working on and playtesting - so I think that entitles me to some opinions as well. I would be interested to see the list you took for the 2000 point force. Can you please list it?

Honestly 2000 points is quite a small game however and I think it is unfair to test a list with to make a decision. Personally I find that 3000-5000 points is where any epic army is to be tested to really see what is can do.

I agree that the heavy formation is very expensive. My recommendation would be for the list to take a minimum of 4-5 (maybe) and then buy extras to get more troops.

I also agree with the support detail you mentioned. It is quite limiting. Seems silly that Termies do not count for gaining support formations as well.

I don’t like the cost increase for the terminators, the black legion terminators gets their lord for free, why not Death Guard?

I am unsure what you mean by this one. I see a lord and up to seven terminators..? *scratches head*

Without even thinking about the force or trying to get the best 'bang' for my 'buck' here is one that I would have made for 2000 points (5 activations):

Death Guard Retinue - 300
- Spawn 25
- Dread 50
Termies x5 - 550
Termies x4 - 450
Feral - 325
Helltalon - 300

For 2000 points, those termies should really mess with your opponents

Hope this helps

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 21 Aug. 2009, 16:05 )

Other list with the up to 1 per retinue is LatD

Hena

Probably my question is why are Terminators not counted as a unit to allow support formations?

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 22 Aug. 2009, 01:06 )

'Cause it would easily cause armies mostly with Terminators and support formations?

Well seeing they can already take 2 Terminator formations do you honestly think this is going to be an issue?

I made a 2000 point one above. All you are doing by such a restriction is not encoraging support formations and thereby forcing the player to take titans and airctaft.

No-one will pay the extra for the heavy support as they are unless they want them to sit on an objective, and even then, that is alot of points to spend to not be subject to a clipping assault.

To take the above force to 3000 points, I would merely spend the points on 1 support formation, and then another Feral and maybe more aircraft. I think you are limiting the options to the detriment of the list. Terminators are a fact of a list. You have a 0-2 option and you can bet 2 will be taken. Why hamstring the general?

Just some observations

Cheers....   :;):

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next