Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

For Elysia! The Elysian Drop Troop Regiment v3.x

Post subject: Re: For Elysia! The Elysian Drop Troop Regiment v3.x
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:02 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Had a game with captPiett and this list last Friday. Between Mosc and some games against Matt the Muppet over VASSAL a few years back this makes at least six.

My impression back then and this past Friday is pretty much "how is this even fun to play"?

The biggest issue is using teleport to represent the drop. Teleporting 8+ units in with no save and a 15cm shot is useless. You have to put them close to the enemy to be of any use, and between the blast markers they get from teleport and their average SR it's going to lead to a broken army. CP teleported in three formations turn 2, and all three were broken after my third activation. Give them self planetfall, a heavy bolter, a missile launcher, something. It's just ugly otherwise.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"We die standing" seems to apply to the drop regiment the most, but I also enjoyed this kind of game with every other IG regiment for some degree though. :P
I think with SR 2 or less, prevention is very crucial. Like all those ground based regiments, when you deploy & garrison, almost half the game is decided just by placing your tiny soldiers.
In case of the drop regiment, the "teleport" takes the place of deployment, however it still retains it's importance.

What does it mean? It means that you have to take SR into consideration and determine deployment / teleport coordinates in a way to defend against (prevention) enemy formations taking first move!
For other armies, like SM termies it is obvious to place them as close as possible, since they gona start moving first. For drop troops however, all you manage this way is to receive fire on open ground, and getting back into the hobby box.
As any other IG infantry, the drop infantry needs cover for good. More so they should be placed where the enemy cant or partially sees them. Depending upon battlefield and enemy positions, this can be still very close, close enough for an advance shooting or enganging attack or just simply being close.
Same goes for sentinels, they have 20 cm move, and then they can shoot 15 cm far. (usually with 3xMW5+, as one blast marker is on them beacuse of teleport... with my rolls it is definite!)
This doesn't make them invulnerable, but forces the opponent to take moves to attack them at all, plus a good cover can save the ass of infantry a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've not actually tried this army yet, but think it looks like fun. Re; the thought that Drop Troop Companies are to fragile, perhaps it would be appropriate (and within the fluff, or at least the intent thereof) to allow them to be on overwatch as soon as they "teleport" in.

Regardless of that, however, it seems to me their best use is to be teleported in within 15cm of a Storm Trooper formation then "commanded" into a joint engagement action. Sheer weight of numbers would take down most targets.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gave another go for Drop Troops against SL. Crowd infantry SL seemed to be hard nutshell, but I lacked the tactical effort to come over it.
After the battle, I thought about the following; adding hardened veterans to drop infantry. Placing the drop-teleport close enough to force scout zoc on an overwatching formation.
If I'm correct this nasty manouvre cripples the overwatching formation to either move out of ZoC or engage the drop infantry right?
And if I manage to take initiative before them, the overwatching formation may not use up it's shooting on a different moving formation, since it is sitting in ZoC!

Is this valid rulewise?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Taken a great interest in this army and I'm currently building it, more importantly looking forward to using them. Here is a list of resources I hope others find useful:

Tauros/Tauros Venator:

http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/no ... t-buggies/

Sentinels:

http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/no ... t-walkers/

Valkyrie/Vendetta:

http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/no ... -squadron/

Vulture/Punisher

http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/no ... -squadron/

Elysian Troops

These troops look to be a good proxie as they have shorter weapons

http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/no ... y-platoon/

or

http://hlsmodels.com/collections/exodus ... t-centuria

or

http://hlsmodels.com/collections/exodus ... turia-2015

Cyclops Remote Bomb Vehicle

http://www.shop.mastersofmilitary.de/ (once there go to zum shop, then type goliath in search box)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Start of the Air Army

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ImageAnd some infantry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am looking to build an Elysian Army, using a lot af Vanguard Novan Minis for the army. While trying to work out the individual formations, I noticed that I can not add upgrades to a core formation once I have purchased transports, without the entire formation being slowed down to a move of only 15cm as the upgrades do not come with Valkyrie/sky talon transport options. This limits me to using the Teleport option for the larger formations to bring them in later, or placing them on the table on foot (15cm move) during setup to hold objectives.

An option to add transports for the upgrades would be a good option. I would probably pay the price for additional Sky Talons, or Valkyries for atleast 1 formation if it meant that could sent a larger formation across the table at speed to harass objectives on the enemies side of the table.

It does mean that I would have less activations, a downside to everything having transports, however the basic formations with standard Valkyries would pad the army out, and I would add in Vendetta Gunship squadrons for anti armour. With most of the formations having self plantfall, I could avoid an expensive spaceship, and have a lot of fast moving formations with short ranged fire power, low armour saves, and the odd Commissar added to provide inspiring to help with Engagements and clipping assaults.

Mortars from the Artillery Company would provide a low level of artillery harassing enemy at range 60cm (30cm x 2) for their indirect AP5+ attacks Helping support the formatoins I do leave to guard objectives once they have travelled around the table.

As everyone knows no plan survives contact with the enemy, especially if that plan relies on all infantry units being mounted in fast transports. But If I have enough smaller formations to add into engagements and take objectives in the later turns, then I could force a draw if things do turn sour.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Elysians you say um.

Novan Regulars Air Assault Infantry coming early next year.

Attachments:
NRE.jpg
NRE.jpg [ 21.75 KiB | Viewed 9872 times ]

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All in all interesting thoughts. It is really a shame that none of the Air Transport Lists ever really took off, nowadays we have at least five lists competing on this theme:
- Elysians, on hiatus since at least 5-6 years
- Harakoni Warhawks, alao on hiatus since ages
- Vanaheim from Epic UK
- Paras Elyseen, from FERC, the french list in open Beta
- Mobile Forces of Catachan (see sticky here, active Development pushing for approval)

So if you want stable non development, go for Vanaheim. Else you are in Development to Experimental land.
Therefore, tinker at your hearts content. And if you pkay Catachans, gimne some Feedback please :)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking to update my IG … and looking for most updated version here ? :sos

As far as HALO drops if they are impractical for combat ... someone better tell the Pentagon ! :D :D

And yes you can parachute out of helicopters …

I wish I would have come upon this list sooner as I been awarded both Parachute & Air Assault Wings. Served with the US ARMY 101 Air Assault Div, '80-'83. As both a Rifle and 81mm Mortars Plt Ldr. Then Bn Air Ops Officer. So I have a "working knowledge" about subject. Both tactically and technically or so my evals say so. ;D So what I'm saying since I have this experience from my long past youth, :o please feel free to ask any questions, if need be. 8)

That being said the list on pg. 1 looks pretty good, generally … ;)

Attachments:
1149638681a (4).jpg
1149638681a (4).jpg [ 48.31 KiB | Viewed 7954 times ]
AirAssault.gif
AirAssault.gif [ 105.27 KiB | Viewed 7954 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well what's on pg1 post 1 is the latest. This list isn't under any active dev.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Works for me !!! Tank U !

Attachments:
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif [ 3.36 KiB | Viewed 7946 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay for me as well I still want to build the list. Of all the list including the vanaheim list, this is the best and most tactical flxable list, and the prices are reasonable compared to the others.

I can build this list with current 3rd party designers, especially as soon as the covid-19 (sorry for swearing there) Vanguard minis are releasing an air assault infantry. I already have the start of the army, well I need infantyr, but i have some valkyries, and sentinels.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use these CinC SEM Jump Troops & the original SM1 IG Jump Pack troops. 8)

Attachments:
Drp Trp Plt.jpg
Drp Trp Plt.jpg [ 339.13 KiB | Viewed 7932 times ]
DSCF2633 (4).JPG
DSCF2633 (4).JPG [ 80.83 KiB | Viewed 7932 times ]
2009_0427IG-GRUNTS0004.JPG
2009_0427IG-GRUNTS0004.JPG [ 126.27 KiB | Viewed 7932 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next