Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

NetEA Blood Angels V3.0 list

Post subject: NetEA Blood Angels V3.0 list
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Hello everyone,

After a few fruitless searches for a sub-champion to run the Blood Angels list, I decided to take it on myself

I have based the list loosely off the most recent list (v2.4) developed by Xenocidal Maniac, however I have cut many of the more potent upgrades and options from the list

The basic structure is the standard Codex Astartes list

Added:

-Baal/Infernus predators - these are mainstay tanks unique to blood angels and successors
-Storm Raven Gunships - these were originally a Blood angels only vehicle and are probably best situated in the list, they add some shooting options to an assault-focused list
-Death Company - well, duh
-Furioso dreads - I've replaced the shootier types in the marine list with the assault-heavy versions favoured by the blood angels, hopefully with storm ravens as a transport option, they may see some use
-Storm Talons - I'd like to see these replace thunderbolts in all new marine lists unless there is a good reason not to
-Land Raider redeemers - these seem to be a blood angels favourite

Removed:

-Predator Annihilators/Destructors - these fellas may exist in the BA armoury, but they don't NEED to be in the list
-Whirlwinds - I just don't see blood angels being interested in artillery
-Land Raider/Vindicator formations - The blood angels seem to use these embedded in formations, I think they work best in that role, I have added the same price breaks to both that they get in the Imperial Fists list
-Titans - Self contained marine lists all the way
-Thunderbolts - replaced with storm talons

Changed:

-Assault marines have been given an extra attack (and corresponding points increase) as I feel this best represents their frenzied berserker charging, brutal engagement prowess rather than a fiddly special rule
-Lucifer pattern engines are a nod to the Blood angels and their petrol-headed supercharging ways, I felt a flat speed increase was too much, but a slightly boosted charge move is a nice little touch (cheers Jimmy for the suggestion)

I've kept it Developmental as frankly I think it's a solid structure and needs more hammering into shape than being built from the ground up

"but Kyuss, where are the sanguinary guard?" you sob

Frankly I was never a fan of having multiple one-off units in the list and my suggestion for those of you with suitable models is to use them to proxy the death company. Alternatively add the supreme commander to a unit of 6 Assault Marines or terminators and use them to proxy those

I'm sure that will please nobody.... ;D

The other alternative is to come up with your own house rules for them and use them in friendly games

Attachments:
NetEA Blood Angels v3.0 Developmental.pdf [249.22 KiB]
Downloaded 835 times

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: NetEA Blood Angels V3.0 list
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Might be handy to have a link back the previous version HERE

Digging it man, especially that BA assault marine change and of course the little Lucifier engine tweak [polishes fingernails]! ;)

Quote:
I'm sure that will please nobody.... ;D

We never do, mate! ;D ha

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

looks great! Cool to see a new list that dares to move away from the codex one.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm especially stoked to see the marine+warhound a-go-go model being challenged. The Pred Infernius with the tasty MW shot is a neat one. I really think we can come up with a list that plays a bit different and rely on the Warhound crutch with this. Oh also THANK YOU for not falling into the bizarre FANDOM trap that somehow people dont think BA have Devestator marines. Complete mental that one especially considering how much GW artwork has put BA blue helmets right up in front center of the picture (they also tend to secondary crew the vehicles as well in the novels).

edit: Not sure the removal of WW was really needed-this list is straight swaps for the most part. Not that I think it matters either way though as nobody is taking them anyways ;D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post subject: NetEA Blood Angels V3.0 list
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:37 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

First thoughts, possibly a little proofreading:

- Terminators can take Storm Ravens, but Storm Ravens can’t transport Terminators.

- Land Speeders can’t upgrade to Tornado or Typhoon variants, but they’re in the unit stats list.

- “May take 0-2 Dreadnoughts of either type” probably should read as “May take 0-2 Furioso Dreadnoughts”?

- Storm Talon has FF & CC values, possibly a holdover from a previous iteration as a skimmer.

- Separate debate, but would you want Landing Craft in the core list or Aerospace Support section? (Not to drag the Thawk debate over into this thread!)

- More of a philosophical debate, but +2 MW attacks on the double-fist Furioso is pretty killer. For comparison, Siege Dreadnoughts get EA +1 & EA+1 MW for two fist-equivalent weapons in the IW list, which is still pretty good but not quite as face-melting.

I’d test it at dropping 6x taticals & 2x fisty Furiosos out of storm ravens, and see if anyone would ever bother taking terminators.

Otherwise, initial impressions are more streamlined and elegant than a previous, still looks quite killy and hard-hitting on the assault, but upgrading could get expensive fast.

The predators will definitely take testing. Infernus-melta would probably win out over Infernus-flame if selecting variants with an eye toward engaging (Baal-pattern has the Ignore cover option already), but they definitely feel like they’re geared toward engaging. A squadron + Death Company coming out of a Landing Craft would probably make short work of anything.

I’ll see if I can scrounge together the models and/or talk one of the guys into testing this out the next time the group gets together.

My General Modelling Blog: http://armiger84.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Armiger84 wrote:
First thoughts, possibly a little proofreading:

- Terminators can take Storm Ravens, but Storm Ravens can’t transport Terminators.

thanks for the spot! fixed

Quote:
- Land Speeders can’t upgrade to Tornado or Typhoon variants, but they’re in the unit stats list.

they can, it's in the unit entry

Quote:
- “May take 0-2 Dreadnoughts of either type” probably should read as “May take 0-2 Furioso Dreadnoughts”?

agreed, this was a holdover from an earlier draft

Quote:
- Storm Talon has FF & CC values, possibly a holdover from a previous iteration as a skimmer.

fixed

Quote:
- Separate debate, but would you want Landing Craft in the core list or Aerospace Support section? (Not to drag the Thawk debate over into this thread!)

LC is big and pricy enough to limit potential spam, it can stay in the main list

Quote:
- More of a philosophical debate, but +2 MW attacks on the double-fist Furioso is pretty killer. For comparison, Siege Dreadnoughts get EA +1 & EA+1 MW for two fist-equivalent weapons in the IW list, which is still pretty good but not quite as face-melting.

I’d test it at dropping 6x taticals & 2x fisty Furiosos out of storm ravens, and see if anyone would ever bother taking terminators.

They've existed in that format in the EUK list for a while with relatively little issue, and that suggested formation is 600pts with lower hit values on the Macro attacks and lower saves (but Terminators are rarely seen outside thunderhawks in the UK so that may be colouring my view)

Quote:
Otherwise, initial impressions are more streamlined and elegant than a previous, still looks quite killy and hard-hitting on the assault, but upgrading could get expensive fast.

it always does... ;D

Quote:
The predators will definitely take testing. Infernus-melta would probably win out over Infernus-flame if selecting variants with an eye toward engaging (Baal-pattern has the Ignore cover option already), but they definitely feel like they’re geared toward engaging. A squadron + Death Company coming out of a Landing Craft would probably make short work of anything.

I’ll see if I can scrounge together the models and/or talk one of the guys into testing this out the next time the group gets together.

Thanks! I specifically wanted them to be an engagement-heavy force so let's see!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting take on the list, looks really focused and aggressive!

I personally only use the chapter prefix (e.g. Blood Angels Tacticals) for units that deviate from codex standard somehow, but that's very much a detail.

Was going to suggest an compulsory chaplain to the Death Company, but saw you already did that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:17 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yeah the chapter prefixes were because it looked weird to have 'Blood Angels Assault Marines' alongside the regular versions

Plus it leaves the door open for possible inclusion of some kind of 'Red Thirst' special rule...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A red thirst rule would give the list a lot of flavour!

This from the fluff: "As a result, from the day of their Sanguination to their death on the battlefield, the Blood Angels and their Successors fight not only with countless foes but with a burning urge inside them. This is the Red Thirst, the legacy of their Primarch Sanguinius, that plagues many Blood Angels with visions of death. In battle Blood Angels can harness these visions to evoke a ferocity that gives the Blood Angels Chapter its reputation for unparalleled brutal assaults. Sometimes, however, the Red Thirst is so overwhelming that the Blood Angels forget their noble heritage and completely lose control over themselves. It is not unheard of for Blood Angels squads to abandon advantageous positions to engage the enemy in hand-to-hand combat. More often than not these assaults turn out to be so devastating that unprepared enemy forces are simply swept away. "

Maybe something about units with the Red Thirst having to move into CC if they can do so?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The prior version of the list (and IIRC all the way to the first one?) had a "if you can reach b2b, you had to" in an engagment red thirst rule. It didn't quite work out the way E&C really wanted it to in practice but it's soemthing to consider.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:30 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yeah, I'd rather represent it by an existing rule where possible (giving assaults an extra attack for example) the rules previously suggested seemed to add a layer of fiddliness with no tangible net benefit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

having played 30+ games with the older E&C one, that's EXACTLY the way to describe that rule

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What about making a very simple solution for the honour guard: give Supreme Commander a honour guard/inspiring at +25 pts? Or inspiring and extra attack?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I could care less if the shiny golden wing boys are included. (i do own the OOP, painted, based)

Red thirst please.

Otherwise its great. Cleaned up. Look forward taking it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Elrik's Honor Guard character suggestion seems good and easy enough.

On the Red Thirst, ideally you want a rule to reward a player for playing it fluffy, rather than one which mechanically forces them to do something. I'm also not convinced that this list will play much differently than the Codex list, rather than be a "Codex with different stuff" (although I certainly prefer it to the older "Codex with MORE stuff" list). So here's my suggestion to address both of those:

Make Red Thirst a formation upgrade, the formations become initiative 3+ with a +2 bonus to engage and rally. And give the formation some sort of CC bump (extra attack/straight CC increase for infantry, Inspiring if one unit makes it into CC, etc).

Pricing will likely need to be different for each formation, it that get's to be too much then create a Red Thirst Formations table and throw them in there. Then you wouldn't need the upgrade, just different datafaxes for the infantry units.

I think that would go a long way towards making the BA list play differently than Codex.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next