Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

The NetEA Codex list. How do you feel about it? A few Qs

Post subject: Re: The NetEA Codex list. How do you feel about it? A few Qs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I remember the demolisher being MW going round several times in the past. Affects demolishers, Baneblades and vindicators. We probably could do it - if demolishers were too exciting an option then their sponson weapons could change. But it does enter the MW arms race a bit.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, I totally agree that the current list should stay broadly as is, because it is internally balanced, it *is* the yardstick for other lists, and because continually adding further units / formations is a lot of work which would tend to leave the list in a permanent state of "development"

That said, I can see the point of creating a "Codex" list that contains all the new goodies, if for no other reason than to keep up with GW and provide some form of 'bridge' to 40K.
  1. Is it possible / practical to do this?
  2. What would the list be called - could it be some valid GW campaign name or is "Codex 2015" preferable?
  3. How could we balance this against the original Codex 'yardstick? How would this be used in the context of the existing lists

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
I agree with this ^

I agree with Vaaish and Kyruss too. Well stated.

I also think giving the Dem Cannon MW might be good too. People complain that Baneblade is under power and Vindicator, the LR like mentioned could be balance other ways if too good.

Always looking to Trade!
Angel's Trade Thread

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I *will* say that the LR demolisher, at least in my experience, is ruddy awesome as it is..... but that's not for this thread... I suppose we could always rename it to vindicator cannon or similar....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I believe Dobbsy started this thread at least partially in response to what he sees as percieved power creep in other lists leaving the codex marines behind, for me the solution is to tone down the other, newer lists rather than buffing the marines to keep up....

Yes, this would be a great place to get to, except I don't see this happening and there's no drive, or even direction from above, to do so. The catch cry of "there's nothing wrong with it" or "I don't see an issue with it'" immediately springs to mind here.

On the flip side, I'm strangely curious to know however, why it is that people are fine and happy with the Biel Tan list (probably one of the best examples of a list that needs none) receiving buffs (and minimal de-buffs), but not the Marine list?

The vindicator receiving MW has two issues.

1/ MW is apparently "not the Marine way."
2/ Giving it to the Marines mean the other lists with the Dem Cannon get an auto increase in power too - the BB in particular increases the list far more given the unit that uses the weapon is a WE. I'm not sure I'm keen to cause that to occur as it just defeats the purpose of buffing the Marine unit - i.e why increase your list when it increases the enemy unit two-fold? (NB: I may be looking at it arse-backwards here but it's how I immediately feel)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:05 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Dobbsy wrote:
Yes, this would be a great place to get to, except I don't see this happening and there's no drive, or even direction from above, to do so. The catch cry of "there's nothing wrong with it" or "I don't see an issue with it'" immediately springs to mind here.

there is always a lot of inertia when you try to take people's toys away.... ;)

out of interest, do you have a list of current lists which you feel are on a higher 'power level' than the codex list? without wanting to offend or upset the relevant AC/SubACs, let's just get it on the table, then we can discuss it openly, I think to have the discussion we need as much information behind it as possible :)

I think the krieg list is pretty tough, and could do with some looking at (which does seem to be happening) but there are probably others that need investigating too.... does anyone else share these concerns?

Quote:
On the flip side, I'm strangely curious to know however, why it is that people are fine and happy with the Biel Tan list (probably one of the best examples of a list that needs none) receiving buffs (and minimal de-buffs), but not the Marine list?

I'm confused about this too, I thought the BT list was approved.... simply don't understand why most of the big changes are on the table.... but I've got less of a vested interest in keeping the eldar in line as I'm not at risk of having significant changes sneak into my list through the back door....
Quote:
The vindicator receiving MW has two issues.

1/ MW is apparently "not the Marine way."

I think it will make a good blitz guard unit, or even an upgrade, sit a formation on OW on the blitz and people have to deal with hot macro death....

Quote:
2/ Giving it to the Marines mean the other lists with the Dem Cannon get an auto increase in power too - the BB in particular increases the list far more given the unit that uses the weapon is a WE. I'm not sure I'm keen to cause that to occur as it just defeats the purpose of buffing the Marine unit - i.e why increase your list when it increases the enemy unit two-fold? (NB: I may be looking at it arse-backwards here but it's how I immediately feel)

one solution would be to rename it to 'vindicator cannon' or 'vindicator siege gun' then we can avoid having our changes creep into other lists (unless the other lists need it)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just on the Demolisher cannon point: Vindicators and Baneblades seem to be regarded, if not as useless, then at least as not quite as competitive as other options for the points. Strengthening the Baneblade has been discussed several times and proposals have been for various options. For the Baneblade and the Vindicator, this could be the solution.

And as for the Demolisher? For Steel Legion armies, shift it to take the same place in a company as the Vanquisher and for Minervan tank companies? Bump the price.

Personally, I think adding MW to the Demolisher Cannon is a no-brainer and a win-win across the board.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe we should hive off all the new unit requests into a marine 40k kitchen sink list, just to see how it looks! Just think of all the rhino, land raider and dreadnaught varients, oh and terminator types, veterans and marines in marines . I was actually be interested to see it all together, if only to see where 40k has got to with marines.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've already begun sorting out the unit types TRC.... :) I'll probably get to it more diligently in the new year though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
there is always a lot of inertia when you try to take people's toys away.... ;)

Uh-huh :)

kyussinchains wrote:
out of interest, do you have a list of current lists which you feel are on a higher 'power level' than the codex list? without wanting to offend or upset the relevant AC/SubACs, let's just get it on the table, then we can discuss it openly, I think to have the discussion we need as much information behind it as possible :)

Oh no no, I'm not going down that route again. :) Sorry but I don't need the agro.

kyussinchains wrote:
I'm confused about this too, I thought the BT list was approved.... simply don't understand why most of the big changes are on the table.... but I've got less of a vested interest in keeping the eldar in line as I'm not at risk of having significant changes sneak into my list through the back door....

Do you consider the changes I am looking at proposing (as an immediate inclusion) significant?

kyussinchains wrote:
I think it will make a good blitz guard unit, or even an upgrade, sit a formation on OW on the blitz and people have to deal with hot macro death....

Or a Planet-falling MW-ing formation of doom.... Lordy, I can see the pundits comments now :D

kyussinchains wrote:
one solution would be to rename it to 'vindicator cannon' or 'vindicator siege gun' then we can avoid having our changes creep into other lists (unless the other lists need it)

True, but I sense it will just see the other lists renaming their own weapons based solely on the fact it is based on the Dem Cannon....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think theory hammer has probably reached its limit, we either trial it or move on.

I know TRC and others have big concerns over the planetfall MW unit of doom but run some numbers and I just don't see it occurring.. The hits/kills can similarly be achieved with other existing units.

We also talk a lot about balance when what people are referring to is a violation of their perceived way in which a list "should " look or act which is intangible. Balance is achieved through points and army list design limitations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The changes to the Biel-Tan list mostly deals with internal balance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:24 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

kyussinchains wrote:

Or just accept/assume Marines have access to different ammo types than standard Imperial Guard regiments.

Also, does the Demolisher cannon [i]really/[i] justify being a better (but shorter ranged) plasma cannon?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
The changes to the Biel-Tan list mostly deals with internal balance.

Is that so when eldar fight other eldar the result is more balanced? ;D

Sorry..

Reference demolished cannons, vindicator, baneblades and leman russ demolishers. Given two are considerd sub par and one good, would a modification to MW4+ for the demolishers cannon and changing plasma cannons to AP5/AT5 no slow fire work? What other unit uses the plasma cannon apart from DA marines?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Russ Demolishers are good? :) (What am i missing, I and I have so many I can use!)

Last edited by The_Real_Chris on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next