Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Salamanders

Post subject: Re: Salamanders
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mate they are approved no? I'd spoken to BL a few times on changes or mods but then he took a step back from epic got a bit. I asked dobbsy a while back on sub AC but I got the impression their was little interest in changing lists that are approved. Thought I could be wrong. List as it is, is ok. I've never had a good success rate with it though. Could have a few tweaks, but it would probably take a long time to get approved again I'd imagine.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is there an AC? I would happily do it now I have time again, would try and do a simpler EpicUk version as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Welcome back TRC :) Nio there isn't an AC for the Salamanders anymore. I have stepped back from the position. The Salamanders list is Approved anyway.

Feel free to try some of the changes mentioned in this thread (Storm Eagle, Storm Talon, Predator Infernus, etc).
The list as it is now is good but a little weak.

I guess if some of the changes mentioned above will be tested this won't suddenly remove the Apporved version of the Salamanders from the Army List Compendium? Rather there would be the Approved version of the Salamanders ready for tournament play and additionally an In Development list for playtesting changes?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those additional tweaks would be grand to trial. Orton/TRC you two should form up like Voltron and come up with some stuff for us to test. The infernus is the one with magna-melta, right?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lads, if you want to decide who takes over then you can set up a trial list as an aside to the Approved one. Play it for a year and any changes can get slotted into the approved list.

Who's the most keen to take over the sub-AC role? :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have a painted Salamanders army - what have you got Orton? :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BlackLegion wrote:
Feel free to try some of the changes mentioned in this thread (Storm Eagle, Storm Talon, Predator Infernus, etc).
The list as it is now is good but a little weak.

By their background the Salamanders prefer fighting boots on the ground and so have in the epic list have less skimmers and jump packers and more expensive flyers. FW happened to paint their Storm Eagle in Salamanders colours because it looks nice, but this really isn't a good reason to include it in the list and Storm Eagles aren't known to be used by the Salamanders any more than other chapters. Why would be appropriate to add more flyers to the list when less flyers is a list theme?

Good to hear someone will be taking over the list though! :) It's really in good shape as is IMO and could just do with a couple of minor tweaks:

Predator Infernus should have Melta and /or flamer turrets instead of autocannons.

The list should definitely have a twin Heavy Flamer armed Razorback (it's a Razorback turret option in 40k), ideally instead of the normal options (not as well as).

I'm sceptical that the list is a little weak at the moment. My opinion is that is probably balanced but if anything slightly too strong. If players are trying to do an air assault list with the more expensive flyers they might be struggling, but to use the list optimally you'd be best not taking any Thunderhawks or Landing Craft at all.

A Salamanders Mech/armour list looks stronger than a codex version, with the extra tank choices. Otherwise Terminators plus Land Raider Redeemers is deadly enough in shooting and FF that such an expensive BTS deathstar becomes viable whereas it regular terminators in land raiders isn't really in the codex list. The Salamanders can also do a drop assault more powerfully than any other chapter too - good choices would be 3 x Devestators upgraded with Salamanders Devestators, one with Salamaders Tacticals on top. That would be 13 Multi-Meltas landing in the enemy deployment zone ready to sustain or single. All infantry too, so not having to add Dreadnought to increase numbers/kills but paying the price of having AT targets in the formation then. Alternatively another good option would be 2 x Tacticals each plus Salamanders Devestators and Salamanders Tacticals drop podding for more resilience.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The original rational for the pred was this 3rd ed model which you could still buy on ebay. Changing to the FW version is an option.

Yes I note that pic has twin lascannon, the idea behind autocannons was to make it cheaper than other upgrades ('course marine pricing concensus has changed a bit).

One concern around them was a cheap formation being abused by air options.

On the 'new' FW pred, would probably prefer the melta tureet and flamer sponsons rather than all flame, all the time. What is the range of that gun? Same as a multi-melta? Sadly while point blank range (15cm) tanks make sense in 40k, in Epic they are a bit silly...

Didb't see any point with regards to an alternative razorback turret, given the number of extra options would probably have been a replacement for hve bolters. What would be the utility of such a choice?

I think in retrospect it would have been better to roll the MM tac and devs into one upgrade, probably the dev statted one, to simplify options a bit.

Looking back at other discussion points the fiddly helios upgrade was to stop land raider formations becoming a default of 3 raiders and 1 helios as it is a good firepower boost. Again thinking around raider costing has moved on.

I would hope at some point to find the old Sallie army int he loft and try them out again. I think their best result came against tyranids when the chitenous horde went up in a puff of smoke.

The Thunderhawk cost was to make up for the inherent assault boosts in the list that are best realised through air assault. As the ass marines were still as poor as everybody elses they went down in cost so if used in their traditional role weren't that poor.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 156.11 KiB | Viewed 3488 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Note, most frustraing moment with list was taking terminators and seeing gavins skimming horde large at them. Laugh they did! Damn skimmer special rules.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The_Real_Chris wrote:

Mate congratulations, you must be very proud... :p
Though :nopics

Seriously, that is good as a lot of people don't nor do they have the opportunity to play test much.

At the moment I have a fairly large and diverse iron hand army that often uses salamander rules, as it allows me to use the variant models I have.

We play weekly at the moment but that is likely to cease at Xmas. My job also takes me away a lot so if you have lots of time then you should be the sub AC and I'll happily support testing and discussion when I can, as I currently try to do with JZ iron hands and fatdex heresy lists.

I don't agree with all the comments above but that might be due to different local meta. I'll attempt to articulate this better on the weekend.

Best of luck in the new job..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ortron wrote:
The_Real_Chris wrote:

Mate congratulations, you must be very proud... :p
Though :nopics

Well, while I try and find it...
http://www.dropship.org.uk/epic/salamander01.asp

http://www.coolminiornot.com/334469

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

LOL Swedish S Tanks!

OK TRC, if you're up for it congrats on the gig! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The_Real_Chris wrote:
On the 'new' FW pred, would probably prefer the melta tureet and flamer sponsons rather than all flame, all the time. What is the range of that gun? Same as a multi-melta? Sadly while point blank range (15cm) tanks make sense in 40k, in Epic they are a bit silly...

There are stats for the Predator's melta already: the weapon is called a Magna-Melta and it's 15cm MW4+, small arms MW. It's also the main gun on the Caestus Assault Ram, which is in a couple of other epic lists already with agreed and tested stats. It only has an 18” range in 40k (less than a Bolter) so it needs to be 15cm like other Melta weapons. I don't really see the problem though – it has exceedingly powerful weapons but close range ones it needs to get up close and personal to use, so being a trade off. Magna-melta and two Heavy Flamers would be a good choice, probably need to cost 75 points though yeah? That is a pretty powerful set of weapons.
Quote:
Didb't see any point with regards to an alternative razorback turret, given the number of extra options would probably have been a replacement for hve bolters. What would be the utility of such a choice?

It strongly fits the theme for one thing? Being AP3+ with ignore cover it's significantly more killy than a twin HB turret for only slightly less range and you'll want to get close to make use of MMs and FF anyway. I would prefer twin Heavy Flamer to be the only available RB turret choice in the list, as it's a powerful choice but the decrease in AT availability adds a bit of a downside for the list overall, helping balance things.

I agree on removing one of the extra infantry upgrades, probably the Tactical one.

Given that Salamanders have distinctly slower reaction speeds that other SMs (they have initiative 3 in 40k rather than 4, which makes a significant difference in combat with many others striking before they can) maybe the list should have strategy rating 4 to represent this in epic?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh I see the Redeemer is 15cm range now? Didn't it use to be 30cm? Do other units use the flamestorm cannon with those stats? It is pretty much an air assault tank with its main weapons being 15cm range, can't see it getting to fire much in a game, or for that matter getitng choosen over a regular land raider. Certainly I can see no reason if not air inserting.

GlynG wrote:
There are stats for the Predator's melta already: the weapon is called a Magna-Melta and it's 15cm MW4+, small arms MW. It's also the main gun on the Caestus Assault Ram, which is in a couple of other epic lists already with agreed and tested stats. It only has an 18” range in 40k (less than a Bolter) so it needs to be 15cm like other Melta weapons. I don't really see the problem though – it has exceedingly powerful weapons but close range ones it needs to get up close and personal to use, so being a trade off. Magna-melta and two Heavy Flamers would be a good choice, probably need to cost 75 points though yeah? That is a pretty powerful set of weapons.

It is a powerful set of weapons... off a landing craft. we did lots of Salamander playtests and the combination of ground pounding and fewer formations meant getting into 15cm range resulted in a lot of doubling and being CC'd a lot. It is far harder than regular marines to get the drop on formations. One of the reasons for the more expenive transports was the increased firepower, but only at short range.
Note they still get transports because they aren't a marine armour list, rather a mech list and marines have the distinction of being able to transport mech formations (which the main list doesn't need to use much).
The calculation would change a bit if you could take formations of them, then they would be more effective (especially by air). The main use for pred incinerators in the original tests were to make a mech assualt formation - 2 preds, 4 assault marines, 250 points. In practice plink at 45cm after doubling, use vehicles for cover, engage. Those types of tactics would be worse here due to the drop in range, but the assault would be 'harder'. For the Tacs and Devs you were better off adding Land Raiders to give them better armour.

Still the combination of MW and IC would really upset Imperial Fists in their super marine bunkers :)

Currently with 2 tank upgrade slots a formation takes a land raider as the spearhead and a hunter for AA. Where would the pred fit in? Note they don't get lots of tank upgrades as the idea is they are a mechanised infantry list, not the marine tank list.

Quote:
It strongly fits the theme for one thing? Being AP3+ with ignore cover it's significantly more killy than a twin HB turret for only slightly less range and you'll want to get close to make use of MMs and FF anyway. I would prefer twin Heavy Flamer to be the only available RB turret choice in the list, as it's a powerful choice but the decrease in AT availability adds a bit of a downside for the list overall, helping balance things.

AT avalibily is actually pretty critical. The marine formations lack for long range AT, provided normally by warhounds, aircraft, preds and terminators (less warhounds & aircraft, no AT shooting on the termies which is upsetting vs skimmers, leaving preds and the relatively more expensive raiders). They are great at short range, but get too short range and your chewed up formations reach their pristine formations...

I would rate 15cm AP3+IC considerably worse than twin las and worse than 30cm AP4+, just because so many times in testing getting to under 15cm to fire was counter productive.

Because there are less formations - particularily the fast assault formations - you don't get the chance to set up the supporting fire the list is actually good at getting. When doing the original idea there seemed to be 2 ways of getitng round the habit of marine mech formations either dying or getting too many transports knocked out. Lots of small cheap formations with the survivors getting to do stuff at close range, or tougher formations that were more likely to reach their objectives. The latter seemed better and fitted with the Salamander vibe, also played into the lack of assault marines and therefore bikes and speeders who often make up the bulk of the cheap formations.

Quote:
Given that Salamanders have distinctly slower reaction speeds that other SMs (they have initiative 3 in 40k rather than 4, which makes a significant difference in combat with many others striking before they can) maybe the list should have strategy rating 4 to represent this in epic?

Sallies were never seen as less strategic or less able to plan, so rather than a reduced strat rating the effect of fewer activations and slower overall striking speed than an standard marine armies gave the feeling of being behind the curve.

Looking at the list now I would be tempted to change:
Salamanders upgrade to a standard unit rather than 2 different types;
Razorback upgrade to a transport upgrade reading 'Replace any number of Rhinos with 1-2 Razorbacks at 25 points each, replace 2 razorbacks with one land raider or land raider redemer (can't think of a better way of wording that, idea is you can have a mix of rhinos, razors and land raiders);
Close support to 'Add up to two (in total) of the following vehicles: Predator X, hunter at 50? points each, Land Raider Redeemer and Land Raider Prometheus at 75 points each, Helios at 100 points each;
Delete Helios upgrade as a consequence.
Probably try and write the attack bike into the formation description.

Then look at the proposed pred and whether or not it is aviable unit for anything outside of air assault. If the redeemer is stuck at 15cm range might be quietly dropped, or left in but with no expectation people would want to take it!

Course that is based on me now with ideas that have perculated for a while - I would love to see Ortrons comments!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok have some time to respond..

TRC - awesome army mate, have seen that many a time and never made the link. An inspiration.

Onto the list, some points in not particular order:

I get why the thunderhawk is more expensive but +50pts is too much, can this go down to 225?

The access to alt LR variants is good but the wording needs to be tidied up, BL intent, as I understood it, is different to what the 2014 compendium allows (eg 4x helios units)

One issue i have with the list in general is the requirement to take upgrades to get any "salamander units". As a result salamanders armies that follow theme are always typically 1-2 activations shorter than their marine brothes. I did this quite a lot at the start of the year testing different combinations (some like the terminators in LRs like GlynG suggested). Smart opponents avoid these "death stars" like they do against AMTL but they slowly bleed them dry in the closing activations of the turns. Typically I found the salamanders tough kill but they didn't generate the firepower at either close or at range to make up for the loss in activation which SM typically depend on.

The access to MW is great and I love the concept, however found it very difficult to employ well in a game. Typically your SM infantry are a mix of ML and MM. The ML troops could often range opponents but was forced to advance or even double to shoot the MM. Never was anyone silly enough to wait around for MM sustained fire... no idea why :P

The assault marines don't need changing, they're already limited in number, what you are talking about is only one small (almost gone) facet of fluff that makes little difference at epic scale. A salamander is still faster than and ork/human, still hits as hard as a marine and uses the same if not better crafted HtH weapons so any loss in the swiftness of an assault marines chainsword is probably made up for by the master crafted thunderhammer his sergeant is wielding.

Ref predator infernus - keen to see these roll out as and alternative to the current predators with 15cm MW4+ and 2x 15cm AP4+, FF 3+ or 5+ MW.

They'll be great at prepping and setting up support fire, like the current AC/HF variant. Points cost probably not needed initially as 15cm range can be quite limiting when your not a skimmer. Sure you might get in a good alpha strike now and then but typically you'll be on the double to get in range or risking a counter attack/assault because you've had to advance so close to fire. (this happens all the time with my vindicators and redeemers)

Ref Razorback - don't go and kill off the TLLC/HB versions just to add a TLHF. If anything go a single MM as at least there are models for this. Happy to have a razorback variant but suggest keepin the TLLC version if you drop the TLHB one for a single MM or TLHF. (one people already have them in armies and painted, two it give the marines some needed AT and range)

Landraiders - for a chapter that has awesome technical affinity and uses tech to account for shortfalls in manning/speed. You should be able to put the entire tac formation in LR, easy to do, just fix up the upgrades.

Infantry:
I understand the intent/fluff behind the bigger formation options, but can we have the ability to make any tac or dev a salamander one.
Eg a tactical formation is 6-8 of any mix of tactical and salamander tactical?

Intent:
BL & TRC, what was the intent / list design principles for this list?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next