Login |  Register |  FAQ

A new Necron Apoc tank!

Post subject: Re: A new Necron Apoc tank!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BlackLegion wrote:
Together with the picture a bit strange.
Build "open" is the Tesseract Vault and build "closed" is the ObelisK?

Very economical for GW.

One box, two sets of rules - twice the sales!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Browsing through the WD photos in the gallery in that last link I really like the model and background for the Tesseract Vault. I wasn't much keen on the changed Necron background from the new codex (partly because it was so terribly written and characterised) but I'm coming round to it and this does use the trapped c'tan shard idea in an interesting way.

I like that the multi-dimensional energies of the C'tan constantly scours and tears apart the interior of the WE, with streams of modelled fragments getting pulled towards it and it having 'several hundred' (!) tiny repair scarabs modelled on the inside continually repairing the machine. They should sell the design to the ITER fusion people.

It's disappointing that the closed version isn't a closed Tesseract Vault, but an entirely different sort of anti-aircraft WE though, . Interesting to see it's called an Obelisk, I wonder if that was inspired by us, I know Jervis Johnson was given a copy of Epic: Raiders. It's kind of stupid that the Obelisk model has the same falling apart bits on it's bottom, Necron creations are known for falling apart all the time and not lasting 5 minutes aren't they? No, wait...

The scenery looks good too. I'd been wondering how to model the Deathstrike Silo for my DkoK army, maybe I should base it on the Vortex Missile Battery (though those missiles are a lot smaller than the Deathstrike one so perhaps not).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
BlackLegion wrote:
Together with the picture a bit strange.
Build "open" is the Tesseract Vault and build "closed" is the ObelisK?

Very economical for GW.

One box, two sets of rules - twice the sales!

This is standard for new kits. In fairness (with the addition of magnets) most people seem to manage to get a convertible model out of one kit - ie. one box, two models, half the sales...

In this case (assuming both builds are only legal in Apocalypse) at least the closed configuration would get you a monolith proxy and a C'tan for normal 40k...

My surprise is the lord of skulls model doesn't have a 2nd build. Perfect for an updated cannon of Khorne or even a 2nd epic homage to the tower of skulls. Heaven knows - it could have only been better than the lord !