Login |  Register |  FAQ

How do Necrons perform at Turneys?

Post subject: How do Necrons perform at Turneys?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
I ask this because in the last 3 German Turneys the Necrons (Raiders V2.0 version) is largely seen as overpowered.
The ability to use Portals eveb when broken (this was especially seen as to powerful).
The ability to move into one Portal and emerge from another one.
Living Metal.
Obelisks in front of Monolith to protect them.
Very good against large formation (Imperial Guard, Orks) due to clipping assaults (one IG player complained that two small Necron formations attacked two large IG formations and won the assault with +14).

Here is one of the two lists used in thelast Turney (4000pts!)
Quote:
Scarab Conflict Necron / Scarab Conflict Necron 3995

Tomb Complex 75

Warrior Phalanx 365
Necron Lord
6xNecron Warriors
2xImmortals
Pariahs

Warrior Phalanx 365
Necron Lord
6xNecron Warriors
2xImmortals
Pariahs

Warrior Phalanx 225
Necron Lord
6xNecron Warriors

Warrior Phalanx 265
Necron Lord
6xNecron Warriors
Immortals

Eques Maniple 350
4xDestroyers
2xHeavy Destroyers

Monolith Maniple 200
Monolith
2xObelisk

Monolith Maniple 275
2xMonolith
2xObelisk

Monolith Phalanx 375
3xMonolith
2xObelisk

Pylon 200

Venator Maniple 200
6xFlayed Ones

Harvester Engine 750
Aeonic Orb

Warbarque 350
Supreme Commander

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: How do Necrons perform at Turneys?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:28 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

the EUK list hasn't been tourney legal for long, mikeT got 5th place at the manchester mangle with them.....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:35 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

[NetEA] Necrons tend to be in the top half from my experience, however I don't feel they're overpowered. And I say this after taking consistent and repeated threashings from the two armies in my own group.

Necrons have an edge in tournament play for two reasons that compound each other. First, they are a relatively rare army to face. This means that at least a sizable minority of any tournament may never have played against them. Second, unless you have experience playing against them, they seem unbeatable. Like Tyranids, what it takes to effectively counter Necrons is unlike strategies that would work for any of the more thraditional armies (IG, SM, CSM, Eldar, Orks, and to a degree Tau). Playing a game against Necrons like you'd play against Eldar wiill lose you the game.

So what you have is an army that is virtually an automatic loss for the first few games one plays against it in an environment that contains lots of people who are in that position.

Edit - found the Results for Adepticon 2011 - they're not what I'd first posted. Necrons first and eigth of twelve.

http://www.adepticon.org/?page_id=2477

2012 didn't see any Necrons deployed.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another concern might be that Necrons are easier to use than to face. A friend of mine got third in the most recent of the German tournaments, and he had AFAIK never used Necrons before. I wrote a list for him, gave him some tips to use it and the rest he did himself. He even got the Nightbringer into CC and used it to secure Defend to Flag in one game.

I think it's important to separate annoying and overpowered. Monoliths being arguably better when they break than if they don't is annoying (free move, can teleport back in on the next turn). Necron infantry consolidating off the table is annoying. But Eldar using move-shoot-move and popup to stay out of danger is also annoying. It's not automatically the same as broken, although it can be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was the one with the list posted above. I got second in this tournament. First game was against speed freaks and it was a draw. He almost win (400 points more in tie breaker to win the game) only needed 30 points more..

Second game against imperial guards. I was able to intermingle in some assaults 2 or 3 enemy units with clipping assaults. I lost 2 obelisks..

Third game against Marines. He never played against Necrons. The first two rounds were easy but he learned quick so in my third round I lost 3 formations and almost the game.

4. Game against the tournament winning Emperors Children. He needed a draw to win. He got it.. he also never played against necrons but he is a cunning player so learned quick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Iron Duke wrote:

Second game against imperial guards. I was able to intermingle in some assaults 2 or 3 enemy units with clipping assaults. I lost 2 obelisks..

Thats nothing to do with Necrons, thats just a mistake by the IG player.

In BL example I don't understand how you can get +14 on a Clipping assault

Intermingling is mistake vs any list

From playing with+against them they are slightly easier to learn to play with than against but are by no means a pick up and win army. They do seem to punish unbalanced builds though (all out air assaults, all out drops, armies with no scouts) but again thats not the fault of the necrons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

+14 was the combat resolution after rolling the 2 dices.. I had 1 phalanx, 1 destroyer unit and a warbarque as support and the assaulting phalanx in this assault.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Steve54 wrote:
Iron Duke wrote:

Thats nothing to do with Necrons, thats just a mistake by the IG player.

In BL example I don't understand how you can get +14 on a Clipping assault

Intermingling is mistake vs any list

From playing with+against them they are slightly easier to learn to play with than against but are by no means a pick up and win army. They do seem to punish unbalanced builds though (all out air assaults, all out drops, armies with no scouts) but again thats not the fault of the necrons

No it has to do with Necrons, because Necrons are well suited to take advantage of cramped situations.

For one we played 4000 point. An IG list of 4000 points doesn't fit comfortably onto the table without intermingling.

To get rid of the Necrons you have to concentrate fire. You want to kill them before they phase out. But concentrating fire means concentrate models as well, because you just can't move in a way to spread your troops and still keep them in range.

And while other armies usually can not necessarily use that to their advantage Necorns can. Because the units move through portals to any place they can make the most damage, by teleporting some of the portals and moving portals before using them and by this shifting the focus of attack.
And when you break a unit with portals, it will make things worse, because now they can move even more freely than before, ignoring ZOCs on their way and because they are fearless they do not care about the 15cm away or killed rule and if they already moved, it's a free double move.

You can't finish them off in a turn easily, because they have Living Metal and being fearless. And while you would kill units of any other army them beginning of the next turn, they just will phase out and will be safe. Not even getting the -1 for enemy near when rallying.

The same with the infantry. Getting out of a portal into a firefight killing a unit or two if intermingeling would be no problem - because you have a chance to retaliate. Not so with Necrons they just leave through another portal.

And if they wouldn't you have to concentrate all fire onto them, because if you don't kill them this turn, they will just phase out and even get a unit back.

And if you play clever and don't break the unit to kill it off next turn with concentrated fire - you will still have problems. If you do not break the unit with your first two actions, the Necron Infantry will just marshal and get not only rid of the BMs but also will get units back.

And there is not only one unit of Monoliths there will be two or three, so if yo set out to kill one the others go unharmed, and just breaking the others is not an option as described above. In addition to the Monoliths, there will be an orb, which is at least as good as a Titan - a skimming Titan.
But while you get rid of a Titan with MW or TKs this thing just laughs at you - a company of Shadow swords will statistically not even make a wound. 500 wasted points.

It's like Minervan lists with LRes only. It renders parts of your army nearly useless. You're penalized for having a balanced army (less so than with the Minervan).

Having a Pylon for AA that also is a 120cm TK (is there any other AA weapon that has a greater ground range than AA range ?), a Critical Hit effect (on the Orb) that is a MW Blast (read if anything close i.e. Termies or Landspeeders or whatever attacks me and I get a critical, my critical will hurt them more than me), just makes me wonder.

IMHO if you loose with a Necron army at a tournament (read no special anti Necron list), you're inexperienced, a bad player, unlucky or drunk - you should always be able to get a draw out of it.

By the way I won my game against Necrons, but my opponent was inexperienced and my army is very shooty with not TK and only a sprinkling of MWs.

The list looks to me as if somebody took care to fill all possible gaps.

Ok how shall the infantry operate ?
It shall get out, kill, and leave unharmed.
Ok to kill or break, Assaults are better than Shooting.
So we must be good in assault.
But how to deliver the infantry, with the greatest flexibility and without danger to be shot up ?
Portals would be great.
If we assault the enemy they will just put their troops in layers an will overwhelm us with supporting fire. So we will only do FF not CC, because than we can stay out of 15cm from any supporting unit. But still can intermingle if needed.
Ok lets make the units large, so you will not be outnumbered easily, but small enough in case we have to get activations up.
So we will win the Assault, but after the assault our opponent will shoot us to pieces. So we just allow to consolidate into the portal and go home. With CC this might get tricky, but as we use FF this is easily managed.
But if he really breaks us what than ?
We just phase out to safety, before he can kill us.
And for good measure, we regenerate a unit in the end phase.
Ok the Portals - how do we get them to where we need them ?
Teleport - that's cool.
But what about being killed before the Portal can be used. Easy 4+ RA and just to make sure TRA. Yes but there are guys with Macro Weapons - Let's just ignore them. And TKs ? We can't ignore them too - that would be too obvious. So lets treat them as MW. And on the good side by that step, we can argue that there is only a single hit from TKs which makes our WEs much more resilent.
Yes, but we could still be broken - than we just let the portal work even when broken.
Still this could drive us back, because we have to stay out of 15cm - no problem, we make them fearless, and on the good side this will make them immune to Hackdowns and losses by BMs and give them an eytra move ignoring Zocs, so we can pass any screen, our opponent might build after the teleport.

And so on....

And even if I could be convinced that the Necorn army is just like any other army, just looking at the special rules and how they add onto each other makes me feel cheated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That comes accross as a whole lot of whining as you lost and it can't possibly be you to blame

That intermingling at 4k is inevitable or made more likely by necrons is rubbish, get a tape measure and keep that 5cm apart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

When I've played Marines against Necrons I'm usually deployed in a 15x60cm block, with scouts screening the main army. I've dealt with portal jumping by just dumping fire into the Monoliths. Once those go you cut down on the Necron's options. Broken warriors on the table should be gutted as well, don't let them phase out.

I haven't had too much experience against them with any other army.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Steve54 wrote:
That comes accross as a whole lot of whining as you lost and it can't possibly be you to blame

That intermingling at 4k is inevitable or made more likely by necrons is rubbish, get a tape measure and keep that 5cm apart

If this is targeted at me, I must dissapoint you, as I wrote in my post which you probably just skipped, I won my game against Necrons.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rug wrote:
I've found Necron players are a bit stumped when faced with a strong defensive "castled" position as the nature of portals means it is a) difficult to make limited strikes to whittle away at scout screens etc, and b) when the strikes are made they are limited in size.

Basically, against Necrons try:
Deploying in tight formations, they have no barrage and it will make it harder for them to clip.
Intermingling to your advantage, if you don't want to give the Necron player the choice stay 5cm apart!
Keeping your scout screens close, broken formations can't finish within 15cm or a ZoC.
Focusing your fire power/ assault power and persecute broken Necrons with extreme prejudice!
Necrons have to get in close, this gives ample opportunity to claim crossfire

I actually really enjoy playing against Necrons as they require a quite distinct methodical approach, and they're tough!

My approach was simpler.

Take out one Monolith only. Get charged, but he can't consolidate into the off.
Fire all there is into the infantry until dead. But I have a shooty army, with some artillery, which makes this possible.
Next turn kill some off the remaining Monoliths and start concentrating on the big things.

But this as well as your strategy can easily be countered by Barrage Templates (we usually play 4k, so at least one orb will be present) and not being cooperative.
If you are not content with a draw you will have to open your formation at some point this will give both of you a turn or two less to fight.

By the way I do not mind the strategic side of playing against Necrons - I mind the special rules side.
Make the Monolith cheaper and get rid of living metal and of using portals even when broken or take away the fearless. The strategy wouldn't be affected, but the units wouldn't be so "if there is a special rule, I have it" any more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Steve54 wrote:

Did you read my post at all ?

I didn't say that intermingling is made more likely by Necrons, I say the can much easier take advantage of it, because the can get their troops easily to the places where you can make good use of it.

If you do not realize that, I can understand why you think Necrons are just an other army.

And playing 4k even my Space Marines must decide whether to intermingle or be prone to Barrages.

I do not know how many points you usually play, but playing 4k, the probability is high that there is an orb.

I understand that some players need all the advantages they can get from a list and choose the armies they play by that criteria, and I think the Necron are a very good choice for that.

This doesn't mean that they can't be beaten, but if everything else is the same (player quality, dice rolling, no special anti-opponet list, etc.) IMHO they will win.

By the way did I get any fact wrong ? About special rules and how they play together ?

Yes I did one:
When we played I understood the Orb would be 8 DC and 10BP, but I just checked and it is 6DC and 12BP.
But the other things are correct whether you call it whining or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think I've played against Necrons only once and I fared well. I played Ad Mech. Living metal proved to be a royal pain in the ass, but I managed to destroy mostly all of the Monoliths, which of course severely limited my opponent's mobility. Having a boatload of AT shots helped my cause.