Login |  Register |  FAQ

New necron special rules discussion

Post subject: New necron special rules discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i´ve seen a couple of people working on "new necron" lists, in my opinion first we should discuss the special rules for the army and the stats of the units so every list based on new necrons have cohesion. I hope zombocom likes this threads as his is the last word, just my 2 cents so the new necrons list becomes a reality.
i´ve worked using lord aarons nihilak dinasty army as starting point because i think he has done a good job on it.

NECRON
this rule does not need any change, it has worked well for old necrons and so should it work for new necrons

PORTALS
the same with this one

TOMB COMPLEX
im not sure if the new necrons really need this one, necrons are more expansionists right now... lets discuss ;D

LIVING METAL
living metal has changed a lot in 40K, now it works as a reinforced armor, nothing worth noting in epic scale

IMPLACABLE ADVANCE

another rule that needs no change

PHASE OUT
last 40k necron army has lost the phase out rule, im not sure if this rule should still be applied in epic

hope this serves as a starting point to discuss the basics of a new necrons army list. just my opinion, as i said, the army champion (zombocom) is the one thad decides

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New necron special rules discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Portals: Aktually the Monolith's Portal doesn't work anymore as in the old Necron Codex. The Night Scythes would have the old/current Portal rules but with a transportation cap.
What Necron snow have ith their versionof an Eldar Wraith Gate called a Dolmen Gate.

Phase Out: The Sautekh Necrons don't have Phase Out just because of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BlackLegion wrote:
The Night Scythes would have the old/current Portal rules but with a transportation cap.

ya, I ended up not putting in Night Scythes in my list due to there rules. As far as I can tell they are basicly valcuries but with portals... I was thinking of giving them a "Limited Portal" rule but it just seamed like one more complicated rule that I could due with out. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
I was thinking about this too.
Problem is: they are true aircrafts not aircraft wannabes as Valkyries. And one Night Scythe can't transport a whole formation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The other idea I had was to make them a W.E. aircraft, as in its a group of them flying together but its only 1 unit (basicly like a thunderhawk but with 2 portals) but for each hit point is loses it loses a portal...meh?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

a solution for night scythe may be using them as normal transport aircrafts, not totally accurate, but it would simplify a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The new background is actually fleshed out in the Black Library book 'Hammer & Anvil', it may appear to be primarily about Sisters of Battle but it includes lots of details about the functioning of the tomb complexes and their inhabitants under the new style. The book is good and it has definitely softend my attitude towards the new stuff.

If you're enthusiastic about the new stuff definitely look at reading it, there's no need to read the precursor 'Faith & Fire' which is also good but has nothing to do with Necrons. I'll try to give some of the background insights here without giving too much of the book away.

Portals do still exist exactly as per the old style rules, and do still have access to ground based Tomb Complexes, they may be all but abandoned for nearby more functional facilities but the portals inside can still be activated remotely by other portals & Monoliths.

Phase out still exists on the battlefield scale, transporting severely damaged units back to the Tomb Complex of their origin/dynasty for repair or if the worst should happen back to the next nearest Tomb complex, which I believe may involve a change of ownership for low tier Necrons(this was heavily implied).

The Dolmen gate is actually something very special/rare, not all Tombworlds/Dynastys have access to one. It's a dimensional gateway used to give Necron forces access to nearby warp tunnels. I'll quote a couple of lines from the book here:
Quote:
'The dolmen bores down into the matrix of the universe, the grid of line and power that underpins all things'
'The eldar have a name for that network, they call it "the webway".'

The very act of use corrodes/destroys the material of the Dolmen gate itself taking years of maintenance/repair to keep it working.

The new transports choices e.t.c. all seem to be there to provide options to the individual lord in command. He may, for instance, feel a monolith is a waste or overkill preferring to use ghost arks as transport and using other devices for heavy firepower e.g. the triarch stalker, doomsday ark, scythes. Basically he may be feeling snobby and using a Monolith to destroy an army of primitive upstarts would therefor be seen as beneath him.

I could go on but we're heading for 'too long didn't read' territory here...

Last edited by CaptainSenioris on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice, ill have to pick that one up! thanks for the info

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

NECRON
Can stay. Could be renamed "Reanimation Protocols". I would add that insteas of ressurecting a Necron unit you could build two Canoptek Scarab units instead if at least one Canoptek Spyder and a Canoptek Scarab unit is present.

PORTALS
I would use three kinds of Portals:
- Eternity Gate (Monolith): Formation activates but instead of moving you remove the formation from the table and immediately place it so as if the formation's units had disembarked from a Monolith on the table and then moves and carries out the other part of it's activation. A Monolith's Eternity Gate can only beused once per turn.

- Dolmen Gate: Exactly as Eldar Wraithgate but formation passing through receive a blastmarker. If ypu fell this is to severe they could have a -1 activation penalty.

- Wormhole Gate (Night Scythe): A formation in Tactical Reserve can disembark from a formation including units which have a Wormhole Gate. Each Wormhole Gate can only "disembark" a certain number and kind of units per turn. For example a Night Scythe would have listed: Wormhole Gate (Three Warrior, Immortal, Deathmark, Lychguard & Flayed Ones units OR two Tetrarch Praetorian, Canoptek Wraith, Destroyer & Heavy Destroyer units OR one Tomb Blade unit)
So multiple units with a Wormhole Gate are needed to "disembark" a full formation. For example a formation of Night Scythes.
A Wormhole Gate can be only used once per turn.

TOMB COMPLEX
Not used in the Sautekh Dynasty list as thisis an assault/invasion themed list.

LIVING METAL
Gone.

IMPLACABLE ADVANCE
Will be kept

PHASE OUT
I'm undecided if i should keep it for the Sautekh Dynasty list.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Necron - Agree to reanimation name. I like the next idea you got there but you dont think it will be hard to price some thing like that? unless it was from a kind of "scarab/demon" pool, where you could buy them and add them to units when said senerio happens by "summoning/crafting?" them in to existance...?

Portals -

monolith gate - like that idea. would you run it as each monolith can do this once a turn or each monolith formation?

Dolmen gate - I dont see why they would get a BM, unless it was like 1 BM for any formation coming thro after the first one each turn?

worm hole gate - ya I was thinking this way originaly , but after one or two got shot down or what ever it seemed it could get very usless very fast.

Tomb complex - i guess if your doing the assaulting style list.

living metal - why gone? I think the WE still need it unless your handing out shields or some thing to yours...?

phase out - hmmm.. I dont know what you would do for a assault theme list...
-----

You planning on having a portal heavy list? or planning on some other way to do it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Eternity Gate: Each formation with Monoliths. If a formation has multiple Monoliths you have to place the displaced units as evenly as possible within 5cm of each Monolith. For example you remove 9 units and place them within 5cm of a formation with 3 Monoliths. Now each Monolith has 3 units of the displaced formation within 5cm ( = disembarkation range).

@Dolmen Gate: Good idea.

@Wormhole gate: as with every formation with transport vehicles. If you loose one transport the formation is pretty much reduced to a crawlif youdon`t wsnt to leave the foot-sloggers behind. At least with formation which can Teleport the destruction of the Night Scythes doesn't has such a big impact.

And yes portal heavy would be the way to go. I plan to include a new WE: The Megalith as described in the fluff texts. Basically a big (DC3 or DC6) Monolith which is able to transport 4 Monoliths (one at each corner i imagine).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahh the Megalith... Good old SupCom... have to play that game some more some time, its a good idea generator for WE's, the orginial Tomb Sphnx model I made used ideas from the monkey lord. Whats the "Look" your thinking of? a kinda mega monolith mountain in the middel with the 4 smaller ones at the corners? would you include the 4 monoliths guns as part of the main body or simply they get transported thats it? would they be in a formation with the mega or 2 different formations?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes a big Mega-Monolith with four generic Monoliths at the four corners. It would litteraly break up into the center Megalith and the four Monoliths to form 2 formations (one with 4 Monoliths and one with the Megalith). A Critical hit would destroy one embarked Monolith or inflict an additional -1DC if all are disembarked.
I'm unsure if the embarked Monoliths should retain all their abilities or loose something. The Portals for example.

Oh and page 4 of the Codex: The thing looks like something of a giant snake. DC3 WE which can Burrow/Teleport. Canoptek Ushabti perhabs or Canoptek Khopesh?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I pretty much thought of the abattoir when I read about the megalith. It mostly lacks the tendrils and features the monolith dropping thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

why so many portals? lets simplify so that it doesnt ends too rule heavy, sometimes is better to be less accurate and improve the playability... i would keep the portal as it was and use night scythes as regular transports... at this scale is nearly the same...

also i wouldnt change the necron rule (rename it as reanimation protocols yes). a thing i´ve always liked from the necron lists is that scarabs are represented as ff weapons of some units... i dont think there should be a canoptek scarabs unit