Login |  Register |  FAQ

Pylons and C'tan

Post subject: Pylons and C'tan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Please see my battle report for the full thing.

Here's a copy-paste of my suggestions.

To be honest though, I've come to think that more than 2 Pylons are really hard on air-heavy armies. More precisely, I'm concerned by the possibility of the combo 3 Pylons + C'tan, which I'd definitely use for a tournament army. The Abattoir and Orb are nice and fun and I really love them, but no competitive Necron player would go to a tournament without a Supreme Commander and a Strategy Rating of 3 instead of 1...  and the possibility to still get 3 AA shots of death with that seems a bit too powerful.

I know the list review is only due in the distant future, but I'd like to propose a points increase both for the Pylons (+25) and for the C'tan (+50). That way, it wouldn't be possible to take more than 2 Pylons with a Supreme Commander. Also, the C'tan are a bit cheap at only 300 points, particularly the Deceiver and its 6 BP Disrupt attack. 350 points would be on par with the Warbarque.

I'm expressing the concerns of several French players (see the recent discussions after the Lyons' Epic Week-End on the epic_fr forum). I personally believe the Necron army is fun and well-balanced and that it only needs a few tweaks.

So:

Pylons at 225 points.
C'tan at 350 points.

What do you think?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hojyn @ 29 Nov. 2008, 15:36 )

What do you think?

Honestly, I don't think the Pylons are bad at all at 200 points... yes, they can be brutal against a heavily air-focused force... but such a force has many advantages against *other* armies that, I feel, having an Achillie's Heel against the Necrons isn't a problem.

As I asked in your battle report thread, have you looked at any of the "Plethora of Pylons" threads?  The Pylons really don't seem to be doing that much in the "anti-air" department that's "unstoppable".

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think you should try to play it.  Just remember my notes from the batrep about your 'illegal' Pylon use.  

My personal preference for the Deceiver was to give him a 9BP or 10BP attack but have it be disrupt only - no casualties involved.  So if you made 8 hits you would lay BM's only.  Corey shot it down saying it would be too deadly against broken formations (can you imagine a 'Uge formation that is broken meeting the C'tan?).

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Moscovian @ 29 Nov. 2008, 16:44 )

My personal preference for the Deceiver was to give him a 9BP or 10BP attack but have it be disrupt only - no casualties involved.  So if you made 8 hits you would lay BM's only.  Corey shot it down saying it would be too deadly against broken formations (can you imagine a 'Uge formation that is broken meeting the C'tan?).

Sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps leaving it at 6BP with this "disrupt only" rule would be ok?

As I said in my battle report, though, I just dont see why anybody would take a Warbarque when a C'tan is both cheaper and much more powerful. Sure, the extra portal on the Warbarque is nice, but it has to pay 50 points to become SC and its armament is certainly less impressive than a C'tan numerous MW, TK or Disrupt attacks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One of the main reasons I *don't* take a C'tan is the potential "C'tan bomb" they can be!  

If teleported/deployed near other Necron formations, for support or combined assault, a critical on them can wipe out a large chunk of your forces in one big boom!

I'd much rather spend points on the Portal-carrying Warbarque!

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The problem with pylons is one of increasing effectiveness when multiples are taken.

A single pylon isn't worth 200, but 2 are definately worth 400.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i think pylons are not so good. i have 3 in my 5000 point list, and they seems to just take BP's for being shot at and the DC 2 doesnt leave much. while durable, mine tend to break alot.