Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anti-Necron Tactics

Post subject: Anti-Necron Tactics
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Man, I *REALLY* wish people would post more Necron battle reports to show how tactics are "supposed" to work on both sides of the equation.

All the talk about the "ease" that each side has in dealing with various issues just can't possibly be right for *both* sides!

I've certainly posted my fair share and I'd really like to see what other people are "doing right" both with and against the Metalheads.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll see if Zombo and I can make time to do a 'peel the onion' battle report.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:27 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (Chroma @ 28 May 2009, 17:20 )

Man, I *REALLY* wish people would post more Necron battle reports to show how tactics are "supposed" to work on both sides of the equation.

That is exactly why I asked for pics and diagrams.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (nealhunt @ 28 May 2009, 17:27 )

That is exactly why I asked for pics and diagrams.

I'd rather see "in game" pics and diagrams, not "theory" ones... since terrain, objective placement, army composition, etc have such a huge influence on things that the "clean" setups of most theory diagrams aren't that helpful.

And, E&C, play a "normal" game vs Necrons, not, necessarily, a "here's how it's done" staged thing, please.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And, E&C, play a "normal" game vs Necrons, not, necessarily, a "here's how it's done" staged thing, please.

Of course!  :evil:  :oo:  :rock:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's all quite true.

Talk is cheap as they say. :)

The biggest problem with this thread is that it doesn't take into account the human element.

I'm familiar with those tactics that E&C and Zombo described... they don't work on me.  I've had people try to peel my forces apart with much more powerful versions of the list, and utterly fail, let alone the current one.

But I'm sure it's very effective against some players.

Of course, I haven't seen many people able to make good use of a Marine planetfall army either.  Not all tactics work for all people or against all people.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh following on from the necron objective set up what do people think is best for objective placement against Necrons? Far appart to make the teleporters split up, or close together so any survivors from your attack can take them?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I typically go for close together, as the Necrons are the ultimate mobile army.

If you place them far apart, that means your army has to split up quite a bit to claim the objectives, which in turn means that they can teleport monoliths & Engage with infantry against your army piecemeal.

So, my plan is generally to place objectives close-ish together, hit out hard at the Necron Monoliths (and infantry formations when I get the chance, which is rarely as they're constantly consolidating back off the board after their Engagement actions) and keep on hitting until I can punch through to the objectives.

You have to come out swinging to break out of the initial Necron teleport trap, and kill as many Monoliths as possible (not the easiest thing in the world to do if there's lots of singles) to stop the waves of Warriors coming at you, and try and take and hold the two close objectives.

Most armies can forget about trying to take the Necron blitz, as little can stand up to the fury which can issue forth from it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Of course.. you can always ignore the monoliths (particularly if they were foolish enough to do a popcorn army).  Then just save all your fire for the units that come out of them ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Overwatching at the emerging Warriors doesn't work, certainly not as your only tactic.

Option A - Overwatch.
If you sit still with everything on overwatch, the Necrons have full control of the game, and will handily win.

Option B - Shoot stuff that isn't Monoliths.
If you don't go on overwatch you won't get to shoot the Necrons at all, as they pop out of one monolith to Engage and consolidate back into a second before you get to take your next activation.

Option C - Shoot the Monoliths.
Against a competent Necron player, this is all you'll be able to shoot at 90% of the time, and that's if you can draw a bead on a target at all*!

If you're just bringing Necrons onto the board and not cycling them back into portals, no wonder you can't 'peel the onion'.

*As Monoliths should be teleported somewhere out of LOS but within 60cm of the enemy.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Evil and Chaos @ 28 May 2009, 17:56 )

I typically go for close together, as the Necrons are the ultimate mobile army.

Each time I've played them I think its been with Guard, so both objectives on half way line 30 cm apart on a straight line from my blitz :)

I guess if I had an air assault army I might be tempted to spread them out and put them in cover so I didn't get quite so much of a concentrated necron force coming at me turn 3. Though then again bunching everyone up would be perhaps better. Hate necron BP's :)

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (corey3750 @ 28 May 2009, 17:39 )

I'm familiar with those tactics that E&C and Zombo described... they don't work on me.  I've had people try to peel my forces apart with much more powerful versions of the list, and utterly fail, let alone the current one.

Any chance of getting in a game in the near future against someone who has played against Necrons before, Corey, and posting a battle report?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:24 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (corey3750 @ 28 May 2009, 19:19 )

Of course.. you can always ignore the monoliths (particularly if they were foolish enough to do a popcorn army).  Then just save all your fire for the units that come out of them ;)

There's no guarantee anything will come out of them.  If nothing does, then you've just sat there for a turn giving those Monoliths free shots while you ignore them.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

popcorn monoliths aren't much of a threat by themselves, and they still can't shoot without coming to within 30cm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next