Login |  Register |  FAQ

Thinking of Necrons.....

Post subject: Thinking of Necrons.....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So it's time for a second Epic army and I'm thinking of going Necron. Not having a chance to play much, I like to nail down a fairly solid list before I go on a spending spree. Here's what I was thinking, advice and feedback are always appreciated...

C'Tan - Nightbringer
Infantry Phalanx - 2 Immortals - Tomb Spider - Pariah - 2 Wraiths (BTS)
Infantry Phalanx - 2 immortals - 2 Tomb Spider
Infantry Phalanx - 2 immortals - 2 Tomb Spider
Monolith Phalanx - 3 Monoliths
Monolith Maniple - Monolith & 2 Obelisks
Venerator Maniple - 6 Flayed Ones & Lord
Pylon

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Thinking of Necrons.....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:26 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'd plan on 4 Phalanxes and the max number of upgrade units that would entail. If you're going the EW route, $40 for an Edenite Assault Squad, 3 Edenite Infantry Squads, 10 extra Edenite Heavy Infantry and 30 Edenite Infiltration Infantry ought to see to all of that and a venator formation.

Two Pylons and Destroyer formations, along with atleast four Monoliths and double that number of Obelisks ought to allow some decent armies. Throw in a smattering of the bigger stuff and you'd be set.

If you're coming down to the Whiz on 2/26 I can bring mine so you can see what's out there.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Dave, I actaully picked up some of the Edendites already but needed to round it out with a few more things. I guess I what I really meant was before I went on an "aseembly/ painting" spree. :)
How did you do your destroyers? Scarabs and Edendite Heavies?
I'm going to try to make it down on the 26th!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That was the plan, now I'm holding my breath and hoping the aquatic cousin to nature's engineering will will them into existence.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ha, I'm waiting for the same but might need a stop gap!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

List looks solid enough I will add my two pence to it though.

I dont rate the nightbring nearly as much as the devciever. The Deciever really fills a gap in the necron list the disrupt BP weapon he has is really great for messing up formations. It does make you weaker against titans but warhound sized titans you can handle and anything bigger you can just ignore.

I am a really big fan of the 'two monolith, two Obilisk' formations and usually run three of them.

You have lots and lots of portals without too many units that need them I would concider dropping some for some destroyers or maybe another phalanx.

Immortals are really great and rarely dissapoint in battles, Tomb spyders are alright but I find they tend to get sniped quickly if your units come under mixed fire from enemy formations.

Good luck with your necrons, I really find them alot of fun to play and I hope you do to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got my first game in the other night with the following list against Will’s bugs (he used 9.2.1):
C'Tan - Nightbringer
Infantry Phalanx - 2 Immortals - Tomb Spider - Pariah - 2 Wraiths (BTS)
Infantry Phalanx - 2 immortals - 1 Tomb Spider
Infantry Phalanx - 2 immortals - 1 Tomb Spider
Eques Maniple - 6 Heavy Destroyers
Venerator Maniple - 6 Flayed Ones & Lord
Pylon

He had:
Dominatrix w/ gaunts
Hydraphant
Assault Group (5 Tyranid Warriors, 1 Tyrant) w/ gaunts
Attack Group (2 Tyrants) with Assault Spawn (3 harsupex, 3 malefactor)
8 Genestealers with Broodlord
6 Lictors
9 Raveners

I admit, I had incredibly good luck (the only stands I lost regened at the end of the turn) and he had really bad luck (the Genestealers assaulted an Infantry Phalanx, killed one stand, and were then wiped out, The Hydrapahnt didn’t get a successful activation roll the entire game….with the re-roll.

Some highlights:
I deployed one Monolith Maniple on the left flank behind a hill and kept everything else back.

Turn 1: The Pylon teleports onto the hill directly in front of the Maniple, the Lictors teleport in right next to it hoping to win initiative (taking 3 BM) and the Monolith Phalanx teleports in on the right flank behind a hill.
I win initiative, move the BTS through the Maniple portal and engage the Lictors (and staying far enough away that they cannot get in to BtB), wiping them out. The rest of the turn consists of the bugs moving up and the Dominatrix losing some wounds to phalanx’s coming through the Monolith Maniple. The Genestealers engage one of the formations that shot at the Dominatrix and are wiped out, the Phalanx consolidates and moves off board through a portal.

Turn 2:
The last Maniple teleports in right behind the formation that took out the Lictors. I lose initiative and the assault group takes on the Monolith Maniple (I make 11 saves) and is promptly broken. I hop the remaining Phalanx that is right in front of the Dominatrix across board using one of the Monolith Phalanx’s portals retain and the Monolith Maniple moves up towards the broken assault group (and out of the Dominatrix’s assault range) The BTS portal hops across the board and shoots the broken assault group, killing the Tyrants. Nothing much else happens this turn, the destroyers come through a portal and take some more wounds off the Dominatrix and the Pylon takes a few off the Hydrapahant.

Turn 3:
The Flayed Ones drop on Will’s Blitz, the Nightbringer comes in next to the Dominatrix. I win initiative and shave some more wounds off the Dominatrix before retaining with the Nightbringer, assaulting the Dominatrix’s group and slaughtering her (although I lose two wounds in the process). I win by a big margin and there are only 4 stands in her group left. At this point he has his BTS, the Hydraphant, and the Raveners left. At this point he doesn’t think he can stop me so we call it.

I enjoyed being able to depoly virtually nothing on the board and the portal hopping presents some interesting tactics as well. All in all I look forward to playing with the Necrons again. I;m not sure about the Wraith's though and may drop them for a lord in the Destroyers and a Tomb Complex but then again maybe that's jsut because I never actually assaulted with that formation...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Definately get the tomb complex. Another way to shave off a few points is to have an inf phalanx with little or no upgrades. Just use it to take out easy or broken targets.
Another thing is the 6 heavy destroyers. I don't use destroyers often (hardly ever, too expensive) but I go with 2 heavies and the rest normal.
Also that was pretty ballsy teleporting the pylon. They are so easy to break to risk getting BMs on the teleport.
And don't be too quick to write off the wraiths, they are awesome. What did you use to make them? Have a pic?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:23 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Playing against the only army that has a worse Strategy rating is nice! :)

I agree with mnb on Wraiths. I always include 3 of them in a big Infantry Phalanx. 4+ First Strike attacks are gold in certain situations.

I almost always teleport my Pylons into the middle of the board. I've found that I play very aggressively with my Necrons. I like to teleport all my portals in the opponents half of the board on turn 1. I've been caught out in the past with an enemy that has time to set up most of the army on Overwatch (it's not pretty). If I can give them too many targets to deal with, I have a chance to keep them off balance. If I deploy my Pylons in my deployment area, they are too far away to protect the bulk of my army.

I like Heavy Destroyers for their speed and I like to kill enemy troop transports as quickly as possible (Rhinos, chimeras etc). Unfortunately, I struggle to fit them in a lot of the time as they Destroyers are so expensive (not sure I understand why they cost so much). I also shy away from putting a Lord in the Destroyers. His extra MW CC attack will generally be wasted so he's really only a Leader in an Eques Maniple. There are usually better places to put a Lord (like a Venator Maniple for example).

I don't use Tomb Spyders. They are too easy to be singled out and destroyed (adding more BM's than would otherwise happen).

I really enjoy using the Nightbringer but it really is too easy for most opponents to get away from him. He's slow and with a SR of 2, the Necrons will usually go second.

I like using a Warbarque as my Supreme Commander. It's a tough unit that doesn't rely on getting into base to base to get full effect. It's another portal with Living Metal and a 60cm ranged shot to place BM's.

I'm really enjoying playing Necrons. I have lots of fun by playing them aggressively. Of course that usually means I win big or lose big. My last game was an uphill battle from the beginning. After aggresively teleporting in 4 formations I ended up rolling a total of 12 dice for teleport tests. I rolled seven 6's with every formation having at least 1 BM... D'oh!

Looking forward to seeing any photos of your army Matt A and to reading more battle reports.

Cheers,
Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I haven't made any Wraiths yet, testing the list out before I do any conversions! I teleported the Pylon in because he had nothing that could reach out and hit it so I knew I could get rid of the blast marker.
I'm not completely sold on the Destroyers either. We had discussed lists earlier so I knew they would be helpful in taking down the big beasties, which is why I took them. In a "tourney list" if I did take them I would go with a mixed formation.
If I dropped them I could include the Tomb Complex, throw another Monolith into a Maniple, and get a bare bones Phalanx. I may try that next time and hopefully I can do something with the Wraiths!