Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Strippers!!!!

Post subject: Strippers!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@mageboltrat:
I was checking your site & I can't believe you just found out about this stuff!  If only I had known, I would gladly have shared this arcane wisdom with you.

I put in lengthy posts at least 2 diff. times in the modeling section of the SG board.  

I have so little information to share with my fellow hobbyists, but I try to give back in any way I can.

Here are links to a couple of topics on stripping paint from plastic, just in case there are still people on this forum that don't have the info.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Funnily enough, I'm just making my first foray in to paint stripping: using Simple Green on smoe painted Epic minis I got in lots off of fleaBay.

They went in Saturday, and the last two nights I've scrubbed them slightly.

I'm only having success getting black, green or metallics off - red doesn't shift; which is especially frustrating as ther are nearly a dozen Ork battlewagons primed red... ???

So I take it that Simple Green is best for certain colours, but not others.  Any words of wisdom, Con?  Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I think I've said it before but it certainly bears repeating: brake fluid works wonders on plastic, it peels the paint off the models. Just leave them for 12+ hours and brush them afterwards.

The good thing is, you can forget your models and leave them for several days in brake fluid, it won't do a thing to them! And yes, I'm talking from personal experience...  :p

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are the battle wagons primed in spraypaint?

I never had much luck with Simple Green and I think most people are only using it to remove acrylic paint.

I don't know if it's available in the UK, but I've had the best luck with a degreaser called Super Clean (formerly Castrol Super Clean).  It's a purple bottle with a purple liquid.  It's usually in the automotive section of large chain stores or in actual automotive chain stores like Autozone (in the US).  It will take off almost anything.  Only consequence I've run into is some fading in blue and green plastic.  If it's not available, try other degreasers from the automotive section, just test them on junk plastic (like sprue) before using them on the good stuff.

For full details, check my posts in link 1, especially the very last post in the thread.

Brake Fluid works OK.  It's not as fast working as Super Clean and after 24 hours soaking, it caused some minor cracks in some of the old Blue plastic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Hojyn @ Nov. 22 2006,15:16)
Well, I think I've said it before but it certainly bears repeating: brake fluid works wonders on plastic, it peels the paint off the models. Just leave them for 12+ hours and brush them afterwards.

The good thing is, you can forget your models and leave them for several days in brake fluid, it won't do a thing to them! And yes, I'm talking from personal experience...  :p

I second Hojyn here, works beautifully and I've left a plastic stompa in it for 3 days

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've noticed this topic comes up periodically. Perhaps it should be made a sticky?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've used simple green on both plastic and metal models. It doesn't allways remove a spray undercoat but I've not seen any other GW colours not be removed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:12 pm 
The title of this topic is grossly misleading! I was expecting something quite different than brake fluid.

But seriously folks, I alternate simple green and brake fluid (don't mix!). Both are environmentally safe; brake fluid is used in laxatives and Dr. Pepper, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(mageboltrat @ Nov. 22 2006,16:02)

(Hojyn @ Nov. 22 2006,15:16)

The good thing is, you can forget your models and leave them for several days in brake fluid, it won't do a thing to them! And yes, I'm talking from personal experience... ?:p

I second Hojyn here, works beautifully and I've left a plastic stompa in it for 3 days

Any particular brand better than others, or ones which must be avoided as they WILL disolve minis? :p

I've just done a quick search, Castrol Super Clean/Super Clean doesn't seem to be available in the UK, and there are loads of other brands... but which are safe???

Thanks!  :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Otterman @ Nov. 22 2006,11:12)
The title of this topic is grossly misleading! I was expecting something quite different than brake fluid.

What me, misleading?!  :devil: (oh how I have missed this little guy!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use acetone, either analytical grade or technical grade (I can't remember which), which I liberated from my prep rooms flammable cupboard.

For platic models I just dap it on with some tissue paper and scrub the model quickly with an old tooth brush, works wonders.

For metal models I drop them in it for a few minutes then scrub.  Much easier than the plastic method.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(firestorm40k @ Nov. 22 2006,16:15)
I've just done a quick search, Castrol Super Clean/Super Clean doesn't seem to be available in the UK, and there are loads of other brands... but which are safe???

I just picked up the the halford DOT 4 Universal brake and clutch fluid. Worked fine for me :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Otterman @ Nov. 22 2006,16:12)

But seriously folks, I alternate simple green and brake fluid (don't mix!). Both are environmentally safe; brake fluid is used in laxatives and Dr. Pepper, for example.

I was thinking the same thing!  

But this is interesting too. :p

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: First star to the right, and straight on till morning.
I agree with the brake fluid...works in most situations.  Simple Green is good in that it will not ever damage the mini...left some in for 6  months one time!!!!  Unfortunately, it doesnt always take the paint off...  :(  

ib

"Hallo. My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die!"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:56 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

(Dwarf Supreme @ Nov. 22 2006,16:04)
I've noticed this topic comes up periodically. Perhaps it should be made a sticky?

We do (did) actually have an arcived thread on this... but I have just noticed that the archived threads never made the move across with us. I will reinstate them asap.

Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next