Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Strippers!!!!

Post subject: Strippers!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Simple Green - plastic; Nail Polish Remover - metal; Vinager (followed by S/Green) - Resin ... And no matter what she tells you there is no :D

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Would anyone be interested in taking advantage of a paint stripping service if one were available? I'm thinking of setting one up as i have now managed to get good results with epic and 40k minis...

My current idea is to charge a small fee per mini or stand of epic.  anyone interested?

T-J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For metal miniatures I use a cleaner called Lestoil.  If the miniature was painted with oil based paint the Lestoil will strip it, with zero scrubbing, down to bare metal.  In some cases I have had the miniature come out looking like it had just come out of the package.  If the miniature was painted with water based paint then it will loosen up and come off with a little bit of scrubbing with a toothebrush.  Lestoil also has about a 75% effective rate at getting under super-glue allowing you to very easily pick it off with fingernails.  After soaking in the Lestoil simply drain off the excess Lestoil and run under water, lightly scrubbing with a firm bristled toothebrush as needed.  Do not use Lestoil on plastic miniatures, it will either turn them to goo (like the black bases) or turn the outer 1mm to mush (sprued Epic miniatures)  

If you get a paint or a primer that does not come off with Lestoil you need to soak it in Acetone, which you can get in the paint section of many hardware stores; I get mine at Lowes or Home Depot.

For plastic minatures I have switched to Super Clean from Simple Green.  Super Clean is moderatly better than Simple Green with water based paints and exceptionally better with oil based paints.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Moscovian @ Nov. 23 2006,07:21)

(Otterman @ Nov. 22 2006,16:12)
The title of this topic is grossly misleading! I was expecting something quite different than brake fluid.

But seriously folks, I alternate simple green and brake fluid (don't mix!). Both are environmentally safe; brake fluid is used in laxatives and Dr. Pepper, for example.

I was thinking the same thing! ?

But this is interesting too. :p

I thought so too...

I thought maybe Kitty had come back L4!???!!!!   :p   :cool:

:confuse:

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a note, Brake Fluid is *not* environmentally friendly!

At least the one I buy has a note on the bottle telling me to take it to an authorised site (Pretty much any garage or petrol station) for disposal.

Chuck it down the drain and you're definitely harming the environment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:44 am 
During my experiments with sampling patterns using sculpey, I discovered that the sculpey will lift old paint during baking.

It helps get that hard-to-reach stuff in the cracks that normal stripping and scrubbing doesn't reach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:45 am 

(Evil and Chaos @ Jan. 14 2007,04:03)
Chuck it down the drain and you're definitely harming the environment.

Ugh. More research ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How does oven cleaner tend to react with 6mm Plastic Hormagaunts - is this a bad idea?

- Hotwire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:07 pm 
Yes, a very bad idea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've just had good results with some plastic minis that were soaked in Mr. Muscle Orange Action. ?Some of the best results of any paint stripper I've used, and I've used a lot. ?The only problem is that it looks like a soak of a day or two might be necessary - a couple of hours doesn't cut it.

EDIT: I might have spoke too soon.  It seems to have trouble with primer, and the paint still sticks like a limpet in any kind of recess.  Though that might be helped by a stiffer brush.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What have people used to strip resin minis?  I have a Custodian I need to strip and I use Pine Sol, but am not sure what to use on Resin.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:28 am 
Simple Green has worked for a lot of Forge World stuff. There have been a few exceptions, but in general, it's your best bet. The nice thing is that if it doesn't work, the mini is unharmed for future experiments.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It worked though I had to put it in a coule times as it took the first layer off no problem, but the primer was trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Breten: Did the Pine Sol work on the resin? I have 2 Hell Talons that could do with a repaint but don't know if this Pine Sol is available in the UK

Thanks.
D.

[b]Bearded Dice[/b]: [url]http://bearded-dice.co.uk[/url]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next