Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Ian's Nurgley Appendages Redux

Post subject: Re: Ian's Nurgley Appendages Redux
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I base my super heavies on round bases. I keep them fairly plain and free from obstruction, and explain that they are purely scenic and measurements are too the model.

Occasionally it is an issue when trying to jam it in somewhere, but a quick discussion with my opponents usually sorts it out without any issues.
It doesn't happen very often.

Nice Terminators too. What did you use the bikers as?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

FYI My ordinatus are now on 40x65mm rectangular bases. Seems to look fine and I'm planning to do the same with my guard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Too awesome for words!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whoops, missed a few replies!

Matty_C wrote:
I base my super heavies on round bases. I keep them fairly plain and free from obstruction, and explain that they are purely scenic and measurements are too the model.

I'll probably stick with base to base for consistency, that's how we play locally with anything that's on a base.

Matty_C wrote:
Nice Terminators too. What did you use the bikers as?

I'm using the bikers as Plague Marine Chosen, as mounted infantry - use the bikes to get into position before the battle, then fight from foot. Although that's just an excuse to use the models. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Time for a sizeable image dump...

In preparation for the Death Guard vs White Scars batrep (viewtopic.php?f=84&t=31996) I got all the Giant Plague Rats/Plague Zombie Infestation based and undercoated, but ran out of time and energy to get them painted as well.

Some of the lower or more fragile models got some bits of wall added to make them easier to pick up, followed by the standard Plasticine filler and Vallejo Sandy paste texturing.

The 'Space Crusade' Chaos Dreadnought conversions also got done, although the green still needs shading.

Some household repairs required some Milliput, so I used the remnants to make some Nurglings to go around the Reaper Bones daemons.

Kicking off this year's gaming stuff were some Rhinos. I've been using some very basic green-painted placcy Rhinos on the few occasions that I use them, and decided that something more deluxe was required.

The purple ones were originally painted in SM1 days! Left-to-right:

An old RTB01 Chainsaw bayonet had been added to this way back in the day, I added a spike as an echo of the Plaguebearers' ones.
Top hatches carved off and replaced with three bits of tube, plus triple spikes on the front.
Triple spikes.
The front panels had already been carved off this one, so I added a dribbling Nurgle symbol, and also some tentacles coming out of the back, from a 40k Genestealer head.

These are on 30mm disc bases, as I've found the Rhino-based Vindicator and Contagion Engine/Whirlwind conversions look too crowded on 25mm.

This was a bit of a distraction, at some stage I'm going to get multiple use out of some of the Death Guard force by doing Lost and the Damned Redux, Ghalamore Incursion and maybe Chroma's old Daemonworld list, and have been stockpiling Beastmen etc. for the purpose. I decided to see what I had that would be suitable for Big Mutants and got a little carried away...

These are also on 30mm disc bases, the standard Mutants will be on 25mm bases from Vanguard to help distinguish between the two units. Includes Ogryns, Trolls, Minotaurs, some CSM Missile Launchers and a Heavy Bolter? from a Discrider. Arguably they're a bit over-gunned for having two Heavy Stubbers, but again it helps distinguish from the Beastmen as Mutants.

On a similar vein, these three lizards will give me another three Chaos Spawn so that the six existing ones can be used as a formation while these ones get used for formation upgrades. They're probably not going to get all the chains and stuff that the other got, due to it getting very fiddly.

Finally for now, the finished Bikers. The Lord started off the same as the middle guy on the right base, but his Chainsword had snapped off. This gave me a conversion idea, so after carving away a bit of a channel down his right side he got a scythe made from bent and flattened fuse wire, and even a little tentacle from Plastic Putty! The (unfinished) Chaos Standard Bearer and the wall were intentionally placed on each side so that they would help protect the delicate scythe from damage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Love that biker lord!
The greater daemons with nurglings look good to. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks! The aim with the GUOs is to do a formation of three when using the Ghallamore Incursion list, although that would be purely for amusement/background, it's an awful formation from a gaming point of view compared to three Bloodthirsters or Lords of Change. :'(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah. There is an equivalent greater daemon formation in the 30k Daemons list too. Slightly off topic but how would you fix them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Nurgly goodness!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matty_C wrote:
Yeah. There is an equivalent greater daemon formation in the 30k Daemons list too. Slightly off topic but how would you fix them?

In the Ghallamore Incursion list I think a simple points tweak would do the job, at least in the Greater Daemon Horde.

Keeper of Secrets keep at 250pt
Great Unclean One drop to 225pt
Lord of Change and Bloodthirster increase to 275pt.

It's a relatively small tweak, but you're basically looking at an extra formation in the list for the points difference between three GUOs and three LoTs/Bloodthirsters. EDIT - and possibly a staggered points cost as the size of the formation grows, so the second and third GDs are slightly cheaper.

Looking at the 30k version it's a bit tricker. The GUO is much 'better' compared to the Keeper and Bloodthirster due to their downgrades while the GUO keeps full power. The Lord of Change, on the other hand, also keeps full power and was already the joint best of the 'modern' stats, making it massively better than the other 30k options. :o

For friendly games I'm considering doing my own fandex that takes the main formations and upgrades from Ghallamore (with a bunch of points cost tweaks) and adds Daemon Engine support formations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The GS nurglings gave me a good chuckle. No nurgle army is complete without the happy little buggers!

Solid conversion work on everything else too. Use of models from other scales can be tricky to pull off but everything looks alright to me here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was planning on using those reaper daemons too! What's the material?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's from their 'Bones' line, so a soft and slightly rubbery plastic. Much better than PVC, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok I was worried about it being the super flimsy plastic stuff. They're a lot smaller than I thought they would be too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very cool force with great colours ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next